1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Guthrie to Birmingham

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by DannyGooTree, Jun 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DannyGooTree

DannyGooTree Member

Chris Hughton is expected to press on with a move for Danny Guthrie. Not surprising really, Hughton always seemed to favour Guthrie.

I would personally be really disappointed him to see him leave, I really rate him as a player and still think he can only improve. When given a run of games, he really gets into a good rhythm and gets more and more effective. He makes Nolan look so poor at times. I have never understood why everyone gets on his back so much, whereas Barton has a shocker and still gets comments like "tried hard, passed it well". Guthrie gets "shocking, not deserving of the shirt." It is ridiculous.

Also, it would mean changing my username.

What are your thoughts if this move does go ahead?

2. aginairrr

aginairrr Active Member

Not fussed if he stays, not fussed if he goes.

3. Sanchin0

Sanchin0 Active Member

Mmm.. I agree with whatever OT says. <whistle>

4. Smudger

Smudger Active Member

Might as well keep him, he's on very low wages and we'd need to spend at least what we got for him on a replacement. His style of play will fit our new passing philosophy a lot better as well.

5. A November Night In Rotterdam

Would be disappointed if he left. When he's on form he is easily Premier League standard and would be great cover next year.

6. Smudger

Smudger Active Member

We'll need him for squad depth next season, we cant keep signing players that will all think they are going to start every game, you need able cover like Guthrie.

7. Welshie

Welshie Chavcunt fanboy dickhead

Never liked that Hughton fella!! ;)

8. Darth Gogledd

Darth Gogledd Well-Known Member

This, we won't get a squad player of his quality without paying large amounts for a bench-warmer. Also, we need to keep midfielders as they will get injured more than other positions.

9. pythagoras

pythagoras New Member

I think guthrie is a solid/average prem footballer and reasonable cover...but i also think its good we are selling him.

We have got loads of midfielders and maybe this will allow players like vuckic more chances to gain experience.

Guthrie can play some nice passes and do a good job, however i never feel that comfortable watching him on the ball.

Another thing we have to realise is that it could well just be paper talk and unless a reasonable bid is made guthrie wont be leaving.

10. Sports Direct Username

Noo I hope he stays. Why are people so determined to get rid of people who seem happy to sit on the bench and are a standard decent player.

Anyone better than Guthrie is going to want a starting spot. We do need cover. He provides decent cover. Keep him.

And he's young, low wages etc.

11. pythagoras

pythagoras New Member

The main reason i dont mind him going is that i hate his face and the way he runs.

12. Leon Bessi

Leon Bessi Active Member

this, we should be trying to offload Smith and Perch.

13. Merino's Ballerina Feet

Merino's Ballerina Feet Well-Known Member

This

14. Colly NUFC

Colly NUFC Active Member

I'll start by openly confessing I'm not a fan, he gives the ball away far too often and his defensive work for a central midfielder is absolutely woeful, just allowing his man to waltz by him. That and I don't like his face and the way he runs...

Regardless of that though, the fact is he's only useful as cover in absolute emergencies and as a starting player the Championship is his level. I know we talk about squad depth but that depth still needs to be quality, and if we're building to push for a top half finish that has to be better than him. We've got Barton, Cabaye, Tiote and Gosling with Richardson coming through and the possibility of a few more coming in (and out in Bartons case), if we can get any kind of fee for Guthrie I'd be biting Hughtons hand off.

Its probably a good move for him too in fairness, gives him first team football and if rumours of his salary here are true its likely a pay rise!

15. TheLittleGeordie

TheLittleGeordie Active Member

dont understand why he never got given a proper chance apart from when others where injured. I'd be sad to see him leave

16. Sanchin0

Sanchin0 Active Member

This. Really this. I think Guthrie is a very useful squad player who is still at a decent age, can improve, his injuries this past season have dented his development IMO(see West Brom/Man United game to see the ''two'' sides of Guthrie) & he's got a good passing range, his style will suit our style will suit our style this season(technical decking football ala Arsene' hopefully). Unless Birm offer something like 3m +.. I'll pass.

17. Minty Fresh

Minty Fresh Active Member

I have always liked him. When he played in the first half of the season he was ****e (see West Brom away) but as soon as he got 2/3 games on the trot later on in the season he had some solid performances. Good shot, strong in the tackle, good vision and good range of passing. Only problem I have is he often tries the 'hollywood' passes when there is simpler options avaliable and can lose the ball in dangerous areas. Also he is young and English, and doesn't mind being cover it would seem.

Would be disappointed if he left.

18. I hope he stays, he's a good squad players. He's crap on the right but good in the center of the pitch.

19. KazakhToon

KazakhToon Well-Known Member

Fact is OP, he's never going to get the run of games you're talking about. He'll likely be cover for his whole career if he stays here and may get the chance to shine at Birmingham. Let him go I say.

20. Beatski

Beatski Well-Known Member

really good in the center, not given enough of a chance IMO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.