1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Guidelines fo debating on these threads

Discussion in 'Watford' started by yorkshirehornet, Jun 17, 2018.

1. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Why dont we really give it a go and come up with an agrteement... there are so many potential rules etc we could follow:

e.g
    please log in to view this image

We could agree some basic principles which we can then refer to as and when

Would make everyone happy

Hornette_TID and Nascotwoodfrog like this.
  2. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

11, Do not disagree with the clique? Surely a must.

3. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Yorkie - when I became a mod for the second time I tried this approach. It blew up massively in my face.
    In fact your ten commandments are impractical because few of them are self evident and we would end up arguing about the rules themselves.
    I prefer a self denying ordinance approach. Ignore what you consider belittling, offensive, stupid assumptions etc etc - pick out the essence of what your fellow debater was arguing and counter the points they make. To make a simple example - your rule 6 - if a person does reduce an argument to two possibilites (which in fact is often valid) and you see a third then point out there is a third - or fourth or whatever.
    Although this comment contravenes itself you will notice that I ignored a post that had no merit rather than attack it. Did you never give your children a withering look when you considered them to be being daft?

4. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Remember God and Jesus knew what Judas was going to do so could have stopped him. Instead they chose to let him do it - and as a result all our sins got washed away.

5. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Begging the Question fallacy, right there!

Yorkie, what have you done? <laugh>

Leo likes this.
  6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

He has found a back door way of us having another thread on religion :)

7. Hornet-Fez

<laugh> No, please not. I do enough of that on other media. I'd prefer if all the political threads were locked too. But, no, I couldn't let you transgression of the 4th commandment slide unanswered!

8. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

But I do honour my father and my mother

9. Hornet-Fez

:emoticon-0103-cool: So do I mine...
    Because they deserve it, not because I am "commanded". :emoticon-0100-smile

Leo likes this.
  10. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

That's because you are a better person than me - I am not sure that if I were not "commanded" I might not have a few doubts about them :)

11. Hornet-Fez

I doubt that I am a "better" person than you. Whatever that may mean. Certainly not between 15:00 and 17:00 on most Saturday afternoons August to mid May!<laugh>

12. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Could be starting a Biblical debate here <laugh> Which will please Fez no end. The words ''Father'' and ''Mother'' are code words in Bible allegory, and the Bible explains its symbols. The father and mother are not biological terms and do not refer to your physical parents. Abraham is called constantly the father of the faithfull, and Jerusalem is constantly referred to as the mother. Jesus actually said 'I have no mother'. I'm afraid that the deliberate misrepresentation of this law was just used as a way of keeping you quiet when you were a nipper.

13. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I am always up for biblical debates. Over the years the most interesting have been with one set of friends who are Jehovah's Witnesses - and other Mormon friends. I don't hold with their views but they are such nice people and really live what they believe so we have been able to have deep and interesting discussions.
    I quite agree with the fact that the bible is full of symbols and also that "father" is used in more than the literal sense. However in the ten commandments as well as many other parts of the bible there are exhortations to respect and obey your parents. The father and mother referred to in the ten commandments are literal and in keeping with the overall text that places your duty first to God, then your spouse and then your parents.

14. yorkshirehornet

Sorry to miss some of this.. Been dad and grandad today.. I think there is some serious mileage in pursuing this.
    That was not my list by the way just one i saw online this morning.
    Seriously though we could flesh out some basic principles and tie them into continued membership.
    If an agreed percentage of us agree to them it does give the mods more leverage.. And if anyone does not want to post respectfully then they know what they can do..

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

15. superhorns

BASIC PRICIPLES

1. Don't criticise Corbyn or the Labour Party
    2. Don't criticise the Lib Dems
    3. Don't mention immigration
    4. Slag off the Tories at every opportunity
    5. Criticise the UK and pretend France is better in every way
    6. Complain about Trump and America in general
    7. Call those that voted for Brexit xenophobic and racists.
    8. Compare Merkel to Mother Theresa for inviting 1 million migrants to be shared around Europe without any consultation with other leaders.
    9. Play Crosby stills & Nash vinyls all night.

That should do for starters........

16. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

You are joking , yes? Do you have the approval of the owners of the site to introduce your own rules on membership?
    Would that be 52% - and do we need to have a roll call to determine what the voting population is so that we can specify the turnout?
    So by that you mean one person.

Why not be honest and just call for your referendum to ban one person? Your idea would "prove" a clique ran the Watford board.

If we cannot self-police we do not deserve to be here. Just ignore what offends you.

17. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

I have no wish to have rules or guidelines on here other than that we have mutual respect for each other. Sometimes I am at fault, sometimes others are, we are all human in this respect. There is no honour to be gained in provoking or belittling other posters until they react, and less honour in reacting to that. A while ago I was talking to Mrs Cologne about the dangers of social media, and she hit the nail on the head when she said that if we all posted under our real names then more restraint would be shown. She was right - as soon as we use 'made up' names some kind of character change happens, like sitting behind the wheel of a car. We become keyboard warriors. We need to remember the dangers of the media we are using and start addressing real people as if we were talking to them face to face.

18. superhorns

I would like to think everything I post I would also say face to face in a pub without any hint of malice. We should all be grown up enough to discuss serious subjects, and disagree, without resorting to insults. I believe my views in general are held widespread in the UK and are no different to those of millions of others.

19. yorkshirehornet

Ok I give up..

20. yorkshirehornet

I see SH has just posted and deleted a really offensive response to my attempts to make this forum a little better for us all.
    I don't know if anyone else saw it.. But just confirms to me the point less ness of any attempt at meaning ful dialogue with him.