1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Guest breakfast debate 11/02/21

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by hemase, Feb 11, 2021.

1. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

2222.jpg

Kiko's replacement?

So we all seem to be in agreement that Kiko needs to go in the summer. How would you go about replacing him?

An in his prime keeper who is good enough at Prem level and will fight/replace Meslier?
    An aging keeper with bags of experience to work with Meslier in training and happy to be No 2?
    Or even Kiko to stay in the role he is in now?

Premier League strikers.

Patrick Bamford has been on fire this season so far in the Premier League. Who is your favourite striker to play for Leeds United in the Premier League?

Viduka?
    Smith?
    Hasselbaink?
    Yeboah?
    Bridges?
    Keane?
    Fowler?
    Bamford?
    Simon Johnson?
    Others?

Fan TV.

Does anyone watch any of the fan TV channels for Leeds United? Who enjoys watching others watch the match?
    What do they offer in way of entertainment? Do you find them cringeworthy? The reactions of a lot of the people on these things are over the top most of the time? Is this for effect?

Look at Arsenal fan TV? These guys are the subject of ridicule but I read somewhere that they have a turnover one million pounds a year.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2021
    Whitejock, bucks_is_leeds and foolee like this.
  2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Good news that Matt’s on the way to recovery and I believe asthma sufferers are being added to the jab list for group 6?

as far as keepers go there is only one for me and thats Sergio Romero who we can get from Man Utd free/cheap. 6 caps for Argentina and only 33yo. He would be the starter but able to improve Meslier and bring him on. Romero is better than Henderson and De Gea and so now sick of being overlooked after the season he had last year doing much better than De Gea. So is basically on a go slow to get a move.

Best strikers for me in the Prem were Viduka and Yeboah

3. foolee

foolee Well-Known Member

Morning all,

Regarding a Kiko replacement I think it'll be hard to know what we will do. Firstly, it'll depend on whether we can get someone to take Kiko as if we can't then he'll be staying at Leeds. Second issue will be actually trying to get someone in to knowingly be 2nd choice and in the PL that won't come cheap. I think we'd struggle to find a keeper that will come in to become no.1 because of how good Meslier is, I would've liked Martinez prior to him signing for Villa but no idea who we'd go for now. I know there was some interest in Gunn who is on loan to Stoke at the moment but not sure if he's good enough?

When I was younger I would've said Smith as I used to love him but never felt the same after his move to scum so Viduka for me.

Haven't ever watched the fan tv, think it'd put me off the game itself. Can't stand watching football with other people or going to the pub as I see it as a distraction. I prefer to watch the games at home or at the games.

FORZA LEEDS and Irishshako like this.
  4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Ahaha

Football 365 have just published their manager of the year so far list, looking at all 22 managers as Fwank and Billic are also included, and based upon results and entertainment, Top 5 are:
    1. Pep
    2. Moyes
    3. OGS
    4. Rodgers
    5. Bielsa
    So Klopp, Tommy 2 coats and the Italian at Everton all blown away
    5) Marcelo Bielsa (Leeds)
    Leeds’ return to the Premier League has been one of the most flat-out joyous things in recent years. Would’ve seemed very unlikely before Bielsa took over. There is understandably some sniffiness about the Bielsa love-in that has gripped the press over recent months, but it’s not hard to see why Leeds are a neutral’s favourite. When they’re good they’re very good and when they’re bad they’re a shambles. There has been no more watchable side, for good or bad, in the Premier League this season going right back to that opening-night nonsense against Liverpool. It’s a hell of an achievement for a newly promoted side and yes some other teams might have ‘better records’ and ‘more points’. Fine, if that’s your thing. But Leeds are the most fun, and that’s worth something. Specifically, fifth place in this list.

5. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Can't see us finding anyone to take Kiko.

Loved Yeboah as you could feel the buzz in the crowd when he got the ball. I thought Rod Wallace was massively underrated as a player. Chapman would have a field day with the current team and the chances they create.

6. foolee

foolee Well-Known Member

upload_2021-2-11_10-43-53.png

Puts the Bamford and Raphinha "beef" to bed that was discussed the other day. I've also previously heard that Bamford knows a few languages with French being one as he also helped and spoke with Meslier when he arrived. I noticed in the last game after the huddle that Bamford translated what was said to Raphinha too.

Infidel, Whitejock, Aski and 4 others like this.
  7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Journos love to make crap up to get a few clicks or sales. But getting sick of the bollox about Raphinah going to Liverpool, why would he want to go and sit on the bench? Money isnt everything and I believe he knew what he was getting into. This is a project under Bielsa and building so that Leeds can compete at the highest level within a few years. He will also know how the plan rolls out and that means improving the playing staff in the Summer

8. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

Yeboah will always be high on my list of strikers but my absolute favourite striker will always be Mark Viduka. His ability and skill for a guy on the bigger size was exceptional. He looked like he should have been the hold up guy we punted the ball to everytime nodding it on for the smaller, faster, skillful striker. He could turn on a sixpence and will always be remembered for the famous Liverpool game.

9. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

My worry is there could be something in this. Look at his career trajectory and he always uses one club as a stepping stone to the next big thing. If Liverpool qualify for the Champions league will he see that as his next big move? Will that overshadow any challenge we could offer him for next season?

10. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

More good news:
    Dortmund are in financial trouble and need to sell 7 players to balance the books and that also means they may need to sell Haaland, Sancho and Bellingham. They slipped up in the Summer refusing to sell Sancho for £90m because they wanted £110m. Now all German transfer market values have nosedived and Dirtmund may struggle to get £60m for Sancho. Haaland has a release clause of £68m so nobody is going to bid above that and whoever wins will be based upon personal terms and ambition of the club.

French league in real trouble and transfer values again are halving at some clubs as they try and stay afloat. TV money down by 49% is killing some clubs and no TV deal has been agreed for next season yet

Orta and Bielsa must be rubbing their hands

11. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

The team he left in France qualified for the Champions League but he left anyway

lifecheshirewhite and Whitejock like this.
  12. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

Fair point but was playing in the Premier League more appealing than a few group games with a small French club?

Doc likes this.
  13. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

14. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  15. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

ee aw ee aw ee aw my little cherie, je'mappelle patrice....fill thi booits!....what's pats phone number:emoticon-0136-giggl

16. southernwhite

southernwhite Well-Known Member

Viduka (some spectacular goals) & agree Chapman (nothing at all spectacular from what i remember) but seemed to always get his head on the ball or managed to stick out a gangly leg to poke it over the line, had the instinct to be in the right place at the right time.
    Morning all

Irishshako likes this.
  17. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Chapman was a donkey on the ground, but an eagle in the air...:grin:

18. southernwhite

southernwhite Well-Known Member

<laugh> Great reply Shaks, but so very true.

Irishshako likes this.
  19. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

This is what happens when you only have a 2 week close season, and International breaks (3) crammed in, plus League Cup and FA Cup matches and then on top if that European matches for those involved. League matches crammed in and rearranged through Covid problems.

Irishshako likes this.
  20. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

It gave me the shivers remembering Bradford city.

southernwhite, Whitejock and 2 pennth like this.