1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grimsby

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by City Man, Apr 28, 2021.

1. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

Not sure where the stiffs are playing next season if not at Bootham Cresecent, but maybe the club should consider playing at Grimsby's ground.

Football fans there yearn for quality football and would relish the chance to see Championship second XIs instead of the dross they will be getting next season

As well as swelling the coffers of that beleaguered club, we may increase our fanbase south of the estuary as youngsters there start to identify with the amber and black as people in Barton, Goxhill, Winterton now do

Could be a positive outcome for all concerned.

Tickton Tiger. likes this.
  2. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

3. spesupersydera

spesupersydera Well-Known Member

As a person with fishy people mates I really shouldn't laugh at that but, that's ****in' funny <laugh>

4. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

5. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

Think most of them 'support' the Plastic 6 these days.

6. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

It seems on the face of it Ian Hollaway made something of a pig's ear of his time at Grimsby. Having said that John Fenty their major shareholder is also in for a lot of criticism though it looks as his time there is now short-lived with a buy-out close to completion.

Hollaway seems to have brought in a lot of non-league players who just haven't succeeded at Div 2 level. The comment of Paul Hurst says a lot, when he rejoined them after Holloway left, he said even the practice balls were old and out of shape, the whole club was in a mess. It seems to have been a bit of a scattergun approach by Hollaway, big plans for a big restructure of the club, investing 100k of his own money, which never happened.

I've never been a fan of Hollaway, but the media seem to love him with his outlandish comments, once he comes on the radio or TV I turn it off.

I lived 2 years in Cleethorpes and know quite a few Grimsby fans, I personally wish them well and hope they can get back in the league in the not too distant future.

7. HullPhil

HullPhil Well-Known Member

My lad trialled for them, same time Harvey Cartwright played for their academy.
    Always like to see them do well....

8. The B&S Fanclub

The B&S Fanclub Well-Known Member

I had to laugh. Look North, last night, talking about Grimsby's 'Glory days' in the 90s.
    Excuse me, did I miss something?

9. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

Pretty sad what’s going on at Grimsby. It could quite easily be us. Rivalry aside I hope they get back soon - that conference league is a horrible league to get out of. My lad has also benefited from coaching off ex Grimsby legend John McDermott who is a smashing bloke.

10. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Got to the first division a long time before us didn’t they?

11. The B&S Fanclub

1930s was it? Division one side. About 60 years before the 90s. I recall them playing at Wembley in a play-off final, but the 1990s 'Glory days' is a bit strong, though it was Blunder's Matt Dean who was standing outside the big gate.

12. The B&S Fanclub

Ps...they once won at WBA and went top of the championship for a week then promptly got relegated.

SW3 Chelsea Tiger likes this.
  13. originalminority

originalminority Well-Known Member

Been to Lincoln and Scunthorpe and admit to an occasional rivalry whilst we languished in the lower leagues but I've never been to Grimsby and don't accept any rivalry with them, I'm just not bothered, hate their accent and developed an ability to completely switch off when Radio Humberside was our only media and Grimsby c**ts would come on moaning. Never been on my radar.

Kempton likes this.
  14. HullPhil

HullPhil Well-Known Member

Give me a Town supporter over a ManUre one any day...

Kempton, Des Head, GLP and 2 others like this.
  15. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

Dave Burns was bigging them up on his radio show all morning yesterday. He thinks being relegated from the Football League is a positive move ?
    Don't remember him thinking the same when City were relegated from the Championship last season but for some reason a relegation for GY is seen as a good move and only good can come from it, according to him.

The B&S Fanclub likes this.
  16. Des Head

Des Head Well-Known Member

Grimsby also reached the semi-final of the FA Cup on 25 March 1939, Grimsby played Wolverhampton Wanderers, in a FA Cup semi-final at Old Trafford. The attendance of 76,962 remains Old Trafford's largest ever attendance.

<laugh>

Kempton and Chazz Rheinhold like this.
  17. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

This ^

frankbanksneck likes this.
  18. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

The Humber Derby was a big deal back in the day. Then GY overtook us and left us in there slip stream for a few years. They were appearing at Wembley in various competition when we could only dream of it. Someone once scrolled on the bog wall behind the West Stand at Boothferry Park 'if Grimsby can do it why can't we' ? It was whitewashed over within hours.
    There isn't a lot of love for us or the city of Hull over the river. They seem to blame Hull for everything that is wrong across there. We get everything and they get nowt seems to be the the ready made excuse they trot out.

19. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

That's all true, but I can't be arsed to hate Grimsby or Scunthorpe these days.

They don't matter. It would be like kicking a puppy. Good luck to em I say.

charon-the-ferryman likes this.
  20. The B&S Fanclub

I like the big fella, but not sure he's got this right. Maybe it's part of the bbc's there's 'no negative', 'no ones to blame' reporting style. Negative is the new positive.