1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Greta Thunberg

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

So Greta the activist flew in from Sweden then got driven to Bristol to deliver a speech to lots of kids she encouraged to skive off school... to then read her speech on climate change and reducing carbon footprints.. off an iPhone which was made in China then shipped across the world for her to buy in Sweden.

Anyone else facepalming with the hypocrisy on display?

I’ve always felt uneasy at how her parents encouraged her at such a young age to become an activist..

2. Dr Nickilas Van Helsing

Dr Nickilas Van Helsing Well-Known Member

Its about doing what you can and not being a selfish ignorant ****s ... I have nothing but respect for the young lady.. the world doesn't like being told the truth, so she will need to be stronger than the millions of gutless turds trying to rip her apart for making a stand.

AgentofAlnwick and Treble like this.
  3. Welshie

Welshie Chavcunt fanboy dickhead

As someone who is actively reducing my carbon footprint I agree with her message.

However she was born in one of Europe's most privileged nations, were she can put in very little effort to achieve her lifestyle and she is generally speaking within an echo chamber as every single European country has reached a consensus on climate change.

I think that is why she angers a lot of people.

4. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

5. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

People may respond to persuasion but very few will respond to being lectured especially by someone who fails to practice what she preaches. She could easily have given her speech from home and had it transmitted to the rally. That would have helped her carbon footprint. Also stop lecturing and sounding sanctimonious.

I agree with the general message but then again i did before she started her self righteous mission.

6. Dr Nickilas Van Helsing

People can **** off

7. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

agree. Especially those doleite ****witts from extinction rebellion who think it’s okay to cause **** loads of criminal damage to prove a point.

they even drove an old fire truck which does just 8 miles to the gallon to the treasury building, burning all that fossil fuel to protest about the burning of fossil fuel.

what a bunch of visionaries we have there.....

kiwiqpr, cronemeister and mickeybnufc like this.
  8. Dr Nickilas Van Helsing

I like anyone that fights for their belief... they are trying to wake up the ignorant.. in the process the ignorant say its the wrong way...there's no right way because people don't care...

Me personally ? I actually don't care.. I hope the human race dies out and that wildlife survives.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    Treble likes this.
  9. JohnHumbles,tape recorder

JohnHumbles,tape recorder Well-Known Member

You go for it then!!!! Whats stopping you? (Its about doing what you can and not being a selfish ignorant ****s) BTW, What give's you the moral authority
    to call other people with different opinions to you ignorant... (arrogance and hypocrisy) at its finest...

10. Dr Nickilas Van Helsing

Because you clearly lack any intelligence i'll explain!!! If you haven't figured out that its human ignorance that has created this issue that's one thing, but for you to fail to recognise my comment is aimed at human ignorance collectively makes me laugh quite frankly. If it wasn't for dickheads like you I wouldn't hate the stupidity of the human race either.

now im putting you on ignore .. shall I put that in red ink for you.?? No I'm better than that.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020

11. JohnHumbles,tape recorder

JohnHumbles,tape recorder Well-Known Member

<laugh><laugh><laugh>

Ask me if I care... go-on ask me?

12. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Do you care JHtr? Do you really care?

13. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

I agree with her message and admire her for taking the stand she has. Yes, she can come over as lecturing and sanctimonious at times, but I don't think her aspergers helps with that. If she has been exploited by others then that isn't her fault and I don't think she deserves the abuse she gets from some quarters. We all have a carbon footprint that we need to reduce both collectively and individually, but at this point in time it is very difficult to reduce it to zero. If her campaigning encourages some people to think more about their own carbon footprint then I think hers has been well spent. At the very least she is helping keep the message in the news which cannot be a bad thing. She is far from the only person fighting the cause, but if her publicity helps then I am all in favour,

I feel sorry for the youngsters these days because in some ways they can't win. They get criticised for not giving a **** and for being wasters, but then when they do give a **** and find a cause they believe in they get flack for that too. I do get uneasy with some of the lawbreaking of extinction rebellion, but then again I'm an old fart who lives by fairly conformist principles. Time will tell if history looks back on extinction rebellion as lawbreaking troublemakers or heroes who helped to change the world. In their day the suffragettes were seen as lawbreaking troublemakers who spoiled things for others. Now they have statues in parliament. The ANC were seen as terrorists breaking the law at one point before the world ever viewed them as freedom fighters against a wicked regime. History doesn't look kindly on all lawbreakers and activists, but we probably won't find out in our lifetimes how climate activists will ultimately be judged. I personally believe they have made some mistakes in some of the things they have done, but also think that there is a place for civil disobedience in fighting for a cause.

14. Roland Deschain

Roland Deschain Well-Known Member

I find the whole thing somewhat hilarious. Everything, and I mean absolutely everything, in this world is driven and controlled by those with money. It's like Coronavirus - the first thing that will happen is the wealthy will stop paying the workers. It's already happening - people being told to go home and not being paid for it. Decisions are made selfishly and greedily.

If it serves the wealthy to create zero emissions they'll do it. Ashley's a brilliant example - super rich, the fat **** is in a helicopter or private jet more or less every day. Doesn't matter to him, 'cos if the waters rise he'll pay for a boat. If temperature goes up, he'll buy a swimming pool. If our money runs out, he'll have his assets and his accounts to draw from. There's thousands of Ashley's in control of this World and some jumped up kid from Sweden isn't going to make them suddenly have a pang of guilt, or grow a ****ing conscience!!

Anybody think the Ashley's of the World don't know that a private jet's bad for the environment?! If someone said to people like Mike "hey, if you create forests and oxygen, you'll make a fortune" it would happen overnight. No money in moral decisions, tree planting or protecting the natural world. In fact, these things tend to just cost money, and people like Mike aren't about to pick up the bill.

15. JulioGeordio90

JulioGeordio90 Well-Known Member

I cant really think of any more others that have played as big a role in the last few years to make sure that climate change is firmly on the political agenda across the world. Before she started campaigning, it was issue that was important but not a priority. Now, politicians and industry make some form of promises on action, and for the first time in generations, they're being held to account by an increasingly informed young population.

Action isn't clear cut and we as society have to be driven by governments and industry. As individuals I think it's about trying to make small but noticable changes. Get public transport when you can, perhaps don't have red meat as often, think about whether we need that plastic packaging etc.

Regardless of your views towards her, I don't think we can dispute that she's having a positive impact on the world.

16. Dr Nickilas Van Helsing

I agree

17. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Agree wholeheartedly with this. She is not proposing realistic solutions but at least she is getting people to think individually what they can do to try and deal with climate change. Its far better than trying to glue yourself to a train as a form of protest.
    A global solution is only going to come about when developed nations figure out how they are going to recompense developing nations for not using fossil fuels or providing technology to sequestrate the CO2 produced.

18. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

My mate who I play golf with is a prehistoric dinosaur when it comes to the environment. He thinks global warming is a fallacy, on a local level he blames householders for buying homes that years later suffer from serious flooding. A couple of deer ran past us on the golf course and he said he wish he had his rifle so that he could take them out! He's all heart is my mate. I played him at golf today, gave him eighteen shots and still thrashed him. The cold, heartless twat was almost crying.

GeordieHalfbreed likes this.
  19. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

It's all about mindset. To bitch about Greta Thunberg for using a plane or a phone because she's criticising the situation on climate change is like bitching about someone for using their GP because they're criticising the situation with the NHS.

Yes we can all make individual choices and many of us I'm sure have, but we all live within the confines of a much larger system which we are inevitably forced to be a part of, and which is slow to change. Greta Thunberg is as much a part of that as the rest of us. Her most impassioned speeches are aimed at that 'larger system' and at those who are the cause of what is making it 'slow to change'. Why people can't see that or think it's a personal attack on them, I don't know! Instead why not back her to influence and put pressure on those who are responsible for the larger system and those who are doing very little to effect that slow change. Overall it's for the good of us all, much like it is when we put pressure on those in charge to improve the NHS. Just the mindset <ok>

Munson. likes this.
  20. Dr Nickilas Van Helsing

im starting to play again soon... been many years .. used to be pretty good tbh.

Dorty Dogbreath likes this.