1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Great to see the rotten core going from the club

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by concrete tony, Feb 15, 2016.

1. concrete tony

concrete tony Well-Known Member

i feel positive about the club for the first time in a long time.

Yes we are still deep in trouble and yes we may go down but we have shipped out some of the rotten core in my opinion.

Fletcher and Johnson we all know johnsons issues and we've all heard the stories of drinking etc. Same with Fletcher. A few more to go and we could have a good team again.

2. Smiffy

Smiffy Active Member

Paolo Di Canio identified this and tried to take on the clique who were ruining our club. He lost.

Finally, Sam has come in and is quietly going about the business of transforming the squad and the mentality of the whole club. Even if we do go down the club is going to have a much stronger base to rebuild.

Montysoptician and concrete tony like this.
  3. David Moyes' Stupid Face

David Moyes' Stupid Face Well-Known Member

Agreed. Bit of a shame about the timing though - the Chinese clubs are starting to pay big money for utter dross (Jelavic just went for £9m <doh>)

I reckon we could have got a fair whack for some of our ****e (mainly thinking Fletcher - he's younger than Jelavic with a similar goalscoring record, and you know full well he'd have taken the money on offer in China with a big smile on his face)

4. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Which is where Di Canio got it wrong..

5. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

I hope Charnley is sending the Chinese clubs a youtube video of Papiss Cisse. Some of those goals he scored in his 5 good months were awesome. £25m and he's theirs (£25 to everyone else).

6. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

DiCanio did get it wrong, but Sam's hand has been strengthened by players contracts coming up this summer.

Ideally we'd get some payback for the expensive ****ers, but I'd rather we just got rid of the ****e and brought better players in. 1 new recruit for 2 players gone - just shows how ****ing ****e the **** ****ers were.

onward and upward.

grandpops and clockstander like this.
  7. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

He could yet save you... again. <ok>

8. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Not many of the old brigade left and natural selection should take care of most of them, Big Sam has performed wonders, and I am looking forward to whatever happens this season knowing we at last have a proper manager. We all have our opinions on team selection, substitutions etc its what makes football such an interesting topic, but the gradual improvement in our team that Sam has brought about, is there for all to see.

9. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

This is an old chestnut that keeps getting chucked onto the fire. When DiCanio raised the issue of rotten core, whatever that is, too many jumped on the bandwagon and condemned JOS, Larsson, Brown, Cattermole and others who are still at the club.

I guess then that we still have the main culprits, but as they are doing a good job we won't mention them.

Nordic, The Relic and salad fingers like this.
  10. concrete tony

concrete tony Well-Known Member

I will mention them, I can't wait for the club to get rid of Cattermole who can't last a game. I was devastated that the club renewed o'shea's contract. Brown is gone pretty much and his dressing room influence I guess would be minimal. Larson has always been a hard worker not sure if he is one of the rotten ones?

Nads and clockstander like this.

11. David Moyes' Stupid Face

David Moyes' Stupid Face Well-Known Member

Of them, the only one who strikes me as a potential "bad egg" is Catts. But he seems to be getting his act together a bit recently, and if he has noone to **** around with (Johnno and Fletch were apparently his drinking buddies?) I can see him coming good.

12. Nostalgic

At the time much was written about the demise of DiCanio and how it was supposedly engineered by players who were either too idle, uncommitted or just too unruly to accept his tough new regime. A vociferous amount of people vented their anger about the sacking of a manager who they felt was bordering on greatness but who had only gained one point from seven games. Yet the same bunch of players gave their everything for two managers after him which should tell us something.

For me, the best thing that ever happened to this club this century, kincluding the league cup, was getting rid of DiCanio.

Montysoptician likes this.
  13. The Relic

The Relic Well-Known Member

The trouble with di Canio is that he was too harsh too quickly. I remember Cabral having a decent first game for us (against Fulham. was it?) but exchanged words with Paolo later that week on a trivial little point. He was immediately sent to train by himself, away from the first team squad. Some of the senior players objected and got fines for doing it. I also remember Ji coming out from the half-time team talk early, looking absolutely dejected and slumping down on the subs bench. It turns out some of the team had had to stop him and Paolo coming to blows! Overall, he came across as a bloody tyrant, and you can't treat grown men like kids these days. They turned against him, and I don't blame them.

14. Yorkie

Yorkie Well-Known Member

Really? Intermittently maybe. At the end of the season. They gave no more for Poyet or Advocaat than they did for D'Canio at the end of the season he was brought in. I think it was a case of two extremes meeting - a loon who was overly tough vs players who were not interested in putting a shift in.

clockstander likes this.
  15. Nostalgic

I think you have missed my point.When he came we needed a change of style, even though MON was picking up results with some grinding football we had no spark.. He steadied us and the first result against NUFC was a brilliant launch pad, but he cancelled that out with an absolutely outlandishly planned game against Villa where we lost 6-1.

Into the next season against WBA where we got hammered 4-1, again because of his tactics. I honestly believe the players were right to be concerned about the results, not for themselves as they would still be paid regardless, but his methods that were becoming catastrophic and dragging them into Sunday training for his mistakes was not the solution..

16. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Rotten core. So ES is a clown?

Watch the diversions.

17. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Tbh the fact that Di Canio (excuse spelling ) has not managed a club in Britain since says a lot about how poor a manager he was/is.
    He was an extreme version of sherwood imo...loved by the press because he was good for a story and a quote but ultimately a terrible manager.

18. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

I loved Di Canio at the time and was gutted when he got sacked but I would not swap him for BSA I just have that feeling we are going to the next level with him and there is no chance of relegation with him in charge, we only need 1 more point than Norwich and the Mags for the rest of the season and we are safe. Easy!