1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grayson Best Leeds Manager Ever - FACT

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ristac, Jul 27, 2011.

1. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Replying to clivetime on another thread when he stated that Grayson was the worst Leeds manager ever I looked up some facts and figures. Based on success rate I was surprised to see that Grayson is so far the best leeds manager ever with a 62.76% success rate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Leeds_United_A.F.C._managers

2. DirtyLeeds

DirtyLeeds Well-Known Member

Errr...yes, but he's only managed us in league one and the championship.

Other managers have managed us in the top division for years and in major European Cup competition.

This is playing right into Clivetime's hands !

3. Pags

Pags Well-Known Member

Wickersley that was my exact feelings.

he is far from the best manager we've veer had. stats can work both ways and can be played to anyones advantage.

The best manager we've had is Revie. End of.

4. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Like I said, based on Success Rate you can't argue with facts and figures... Of course I agree 100% that he isn't the best but he certainly isn't the worse which was the point I am trying to prove. You could look at some managers and say they got us relegated and Grayson hasn't. Anyone can twist it one way or another but no matter what fact or figure you use you cannot find one that would point to Grayson being the worse. All things said Clough has to be the worst ever...

5. The-Don

The-Don Well-Known Member

He can only beat whats put infront of him tho!

Not his fault other managers dragged us down to league one :(

6. DirtyLeeds

DirtyLeeds Well-Known Member

Correct Kissa.

But claiming he's the best manager we've ever had because he's overseen victories over the likes of Cheltenham (sometimes), Exeter (once) and Gillingham (on occasion) is stretching it a bit.

7. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Pags....spot on.
    Normally the best manager is judged on actual things won.

8. The-Don

Nope Revie is the best manager ever not just leeds manager! Alex ferguson is close but not quite there!

I hope Grayson wins lots with us though, Bates hasn't got long left so hopefully whoever follows on from him will give a bit of cash

9. Simon21-LUFC

Simon21-LUFC Well-Known Member

Clivetime keeps saying this table is made up haha. But seriously I think we all know he's not our best ever manager, but I posted this table originally in response to Clive claiming that Macca was miles better. IMO as of today our best managers list goes:

1. The Don
    2. Sgt. Wilko
    3. David O'Leary/Larry

O'Leary did more but arguably should have done better with the money he had available to him and Larry on the grand scale of things hasn't done much but has done so on a shoestring budget. Might throw Jimmy Armfield in at no. 3 aswell.

10. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Maybe I should have worded my title better.. I also believe Revie is really the best ever, personally I would put Grayson above the half way line as he is doing okay with very little funding.

I am just trying to get a point over that he isn't the worst as every clivetime post suggests. AGREED 100% facts and figures can be used to make anyone look good and bad but no matter what set you use you can never make Grayson the worst.

11. san-ho-zay

san-ho-zay Member

Don Revie was clearly our best ever manager. But remember that he narrowly avoided relegation in his first full season and it took him three years in the second division before he won promotion. Imagine if the board had sacked him in February 1962 when Leeds were bottom of the table, or for tailing off in the last few matches and missing out on promotion in 1962/63.

12. Simon21-LUFC

Simon21-LUFC Well-Known Member

Exactly. We've clearly found in Grayson a good young manager who cares about the club and IMO we shouldn't be prepared to let that go in a hurry.

13. Pags

Pags Well-Known Member

Look I'm not Graysons biggest fan but I'm not his biggest knocker. He still has a lot to prove for me. but thats just me, otehrs are different and always will be.

I think doing a thread all about this just to trya nd goad Clivetime is actually giving him the attention he craves so actually you are just fueling the fire.

Why not just stick ont he one you were originally debating on, or ignore him :) its so much easier that way.

or you could go down my route and laugh at people getting wound up :D and then if anyone does start, I like a good discussion at times... ;)

14. The-Don

Pags

What do you call an italian shoemaker?

15. Que Somma Somma

Beckford got us promoted into the championship not Grayson. He's average. You wouldnt be saying this if he came from down south wld ya???? Wilkinson, Oleary, Revie are all on a diferent planet compared to Grayson

16. Best Fans

Best Fans Active Member

Obviously he's not the best manager we've ever had, but that fact that he's got the best win percentage shows how ridiculous any calls for his sacking are. He still has a lot to prove, and has made mistakes with his signings, but he's done well for us so far, and deserves the next 2 seasons to try and win promotion.

17. Best Fans

Best Fans Active Member

Ha. Beckford was great but he's just a goal poacher. Obviously Kisnorbo, Naylor, Snodgrass and Johnson didn't contribute to that season at all then...

18. tommylion

tommylion Active Member

R sole

19. The FRENCH TICKLER

The FRENCH TICKLER Well-Known Member

Think Don Revie would have something to say on this subject.

20. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Grayson's great decision to bring Howson on while 1 down to B.Rs changed the game. I agree that Beckfords goal ultimately got us promoted, but without Howsons equalizer it would have made no difference.