1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Good enough?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Lucaaas, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Lucaaas

Lucaaas Well-Known Member

How many of our players are good enough to play in the first team of a top 4 side?

I reckon only Johnson, Agger, Gerrard & Suarez are at the moment.

Question marks over Sturridge, Skrtel, Lucas (injury) & others.

We need a big summer window, because our squad has been getting smaller & ****ter every summer window since 2007 (Where we made massive progress by getting Torres). Thats 5 summer transfer windows that we have gone out of weaker than we've gone in. No wonder we are 9th for **** sakes!

2. redconn

redconn Active Member

when I look at top4 sides these days, I don't think most top4 sides have top 4 quality players

equally **** comes to mind

3. shogs

shogs Well-Known Member

What redconn says really. I mean, I'm not overly sure on Agger but would he get in the Chelsea team ahead of Cahill? Of course he would but is Cahill top 4 quality? not so much.

4. redconn

redconn Active Member

Tim Cahill would be a nailed on starter at the top 4 these days ;)

I actually rated him quite highly though

5. Muppetfinder General

Muppetfinder General Well-Known Member

I think they all started making adjustments for FFP, City and Chelsea later than Utd, and the credit crunch lowering spending appears to have affected EPL teams' performances in the CL. Pre-crunch we were dominating the thing.

6. tommynewberry

tommynewberry Member

At the moment I would say on current form Suarez, Gerrard, Johnson, Agger, Lucas and Reina. I admit Reina as been shaky by his standards this year but is still better than De Gea so technically speaking would get in a top 4 team. Sturrdidge has got off to a great start for us but its 2 early to say he is really top class but I am optomistic. A year ago I would have said Skirtel but he has been very average this season. Players like Downing, Henderson and Borini do not even come close

7. Flappy Flanagan (JK)

Flappy Flanagan (JK) Well-Known Member

Reina, Johnson, Kelly, Skrtel, Agger, Enrique, Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson, Suarez, Sturridge.

That is me be honest and I dont think that is bias I think that is true.

But that doesnt mean we are good enough for top 4 because that is only 10 players. A full team that may be, but it is not a balanced one. I listed 5 defenders but only 2 forwards. No wingers. There is also no options beyond the first team.

We need 17-22 players of that quality so that we can rotate, cope with injuries etc, make decent impact substitutions in order to get top 4.

At least 6 defenders. 6 midfielders and 4 forwards.

Allen is not far off that level. He has shown he can be good enough but has been inconsistent and lacked form for quite some time. Our team clearly still lacks goals, creativity and numbers up top.

Sterling and Wisdom will grow into that standard of player and beyond, and I dont think it will take to long either. At the current time they are fine back ups and do well when they come in to the team, but maybe struggle with long runs in the team.

8. Klopp's Mannschaft

Klopp's Mannschaft Well-Known Member

I still don't understand how people rate Agger so highly but are quick to suggest Skrtel has been poor this year. Agger has been equally as bad. He always loses his man for set pieces and if it wasn't for his ability at bringing the ball forward, he'd be under alot more scrutiny.

9. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Think he is in the same vein as Johnson and Agger. They need competition to help bump their game up. Back when Agger and Skrtel were in a bit of a prime ( our defense in general) there was Hyypia and Carra there to contend with.

10. Klopp's Mannschaft

Klopp's Mannschaft Well-Known Member

I agree they need competition, but I think it's wrong to put the blinkers on and say Agger's a world class defender and Skrtel is awful when they're both playing crap but both, having proven in previous years, have quality.

11. SJD

SJD Well-Known Member

If you put a Premiership 11 together i can only see Suarez making the side, maybe Gerrard. But thats it!

12. Wouldn't be much better if you put a Liverpool / Man Utd side together <ok>

13. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Gerrard, Suarez & possibly Johnson imo, the rest, are a mixture of unproven, not quite top drawer & bang average.

14. SJD

SJD Well-Known Member

That’s true we would get a few players into the united side, it goes to show what a fantastic job Ferguson is doing, because in my opinion this is the worst united squad in Years! But they are still winning games. You have to give them grudging admiration for this :(

15. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I got a bit of stick on here after the City game was it where I pointed out that Dzeko goal was too easy for him to lose agger and that is not the first time. Good thing is, Agger knows it, and knows he needs to buck up. Just think a proper competitor for his place would do him a world of good. Hopefully that is happening to Skrtel now with Carra back in.

16. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I got a bit of stick on here after the City game was it where I pointed out that Dzeko goal was too easy for him to lose agger and that is not the first time. Good thing is, Agger knows it, and knows he needs to buck up. Just think a proper competitor for his place would do him a world of good. Hopefully that is happening to Skrtel now with Carra back in.

17. Okay, so I ****ed up. It should have said "wouldn't" rather than "would" <doh>

18. Rubadub

Rubadub Well-Known Member

As others have said the rest of the league is pretty **** and if we are competing with Arsenal, Everton, Spuds and Chavs for champions league next season then I would not be too worried.

19. DarloGeordie

DarloGeordie Active Member

I think none would get into the top 4, Gerrard in his prime but what have the other players done to warrant a place in a Top 4 side.

20. Rubadub

Rubadub Well-Known Member

If we were to name all the garbage that currently play in top four sides we would be here all night.