1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Prediction League Gillingham vs Scunthorpe United - patchy70 prediction league

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by patchy70, Sep 19, 2017.

1. patchy70

patchy70 Well-Known Member

2017/2018
    Welcome back to the ninth season of the prediction league
    https://twitter.com/GillsDebate
    Game 10

Gillingham Vs Scunthorpe United
    19:45 Kick off

Prediction league thread for members, to post their score line prediction and predict the scorers of this game. Non members and opposing fans are also welcome to post their predictions and views.

Rules are on here::http://www.not606.com/threads/patchy70-prediction-league-2017-2018.350471/

patchy70 thoughts:
    1st league game under the lights at Priestfield of the season​

2. Resurgam

Resurgam Top Analyst
    Staff Member

Gillingham 0 - 2 Scunthorpe

3. brb

brb CR250

Better days;

League Two leaders Gillingham took a break from their promotion campaign on Saturday 3rd November 2012, to welcome Scunthorpe United to Priestfield for their FA Cup first round tie.

A disappointing reported attendance of 4,016 turned up to watch us take on the League One side. The game was reasonably priced at £15 for adults and I believe £5 for under 16’s. It was a cold but otherwise pleasant day so could not understand some of the sparsely populated areas around the Medway Stand, especially considering the Gills excellent form this season which has catapulted them to the top of the league.

On entry to the ground face painting was being done for the younger members and some older one’s if they so chose. There was a voucher offer of a drink for £1 with a food purchase.

I believe with recent pricing that the club cannot do much more to attract people to the game without alienating season ticket holders.
    Martin Allen got the tradition of cup fever under way, by appearing from the tunnel wearing bright red trousers and his Gills tie to delights of humour from the crowd.

This game saw the return of ex Gills player Andy Barcham, who was slightly deprived of welcoming applause as the announcer has taken probably on instruction to only announcing the home team and not the visitors, which I find slightly disrespectful before kick-off.

To the game itself with the home side kicking towards the visitors Brian Moore Stand, the first half seemed a balanced affair but with the boys in red, white and blue doing much of the attacking.

Matt Fish made his mark on Andy Barcham very early on to silence any possibility of attacks down the wing. Matt Fish seemed a league class above with his movement and foresight on the ball. If my old favourite Barcham was League One then Fish was Championship class. Even Chris Whelpdale found pace I never even realised he had to come back in support.

Danny Kedwell was on the bench, maybe with thoughts ahead for our tough league encounter with Cheltenham at home on Tuesday night. However, Burton was a more than adequate replacement and with the darting runs and turning ability of Weston they kept the Scunthorpe defence busy.

The visitors though seemed pretty solid at the back in the first half and it was difficult to tell from my position who it was holding the fort for them. Hoping the second half would reveal more when and if I was closer to play.

Half-time 0-0 but I was satisfied, even if deprived of goals and looking forward to some warming refreshments. I just never felt has though Scunthorpe had threatened us to any degree and the second half held out great opportunity. By biggest fear at this stage was the game ending in a draw rather than a defeat. We really do not need a backlog of games.

The second half got under way and the Gills became a master class into their own. An early goal bound shot was desperately cleared off the line but surprisingly we were made to wait another 14 minutes before right back Matt Fish found the back of the net. Goal 1-0 Gills and the flood gates were about to open.

The Scunthorpe number two had seemed pretty solid at the back, answering my queries from the first half but their failure to adopt any sort of finishing up front was to be punished further when six minutes later Burton made it 2-0.

The Gillingham goals this season come from any player, they are team and that is the difference.

There is an air of confidence at Priestfield these days for those that attend, not over confidence because we know only too well the feeling of failure but I was watching something special. Yes, people can say the Scunnthorpe are near the bottom of League One but that wears a bit thin, when time and time again we are putting out displays that we have not seen in a long while. Martin Allen has done something special with our club, so he can wear his red trousers with pride, because he will get respect from all corners of Priestfield and more so from my heart.

We are rocking and nothing was going to spoil today’s party. Danny Kedwell came on as a substitution for Burton. The time was perfect as Danny Jackman goes down in the box, he did not have far to fall but it was far enough for the ref to point to the spot.

Up steps Keds, 3-0 Gillingham.

Shortly afterwards Andy Barcham was substituted for the visitors and duly got his applause, even turning to the home fans and applauding in return.

Still the day was not finished and the final humiliation was complete when Adam Birchall came on in the 79th minute after his return from being out on loan and a goal he will treasure in front of the Rainham End on the 90th minute.

Our day was complete, looking forward to the second round draw and more importantly Tuesday. At least I will not have to work around the site filters for writing Scunthorpe again!

My man of the match Matt Fish without a doubt.

So to my prediction

Gills 0-4 Scunthorpe - 30th September beckons ;)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    grumpygit likes this.
  4. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

My seat will be empty for this game, unfortunately (or not depending on your point of view) I am going to be away all week, I did try giving my seat away but had little interest from my friends or family.

Gillingham 2 v 1 Scunthorpe (List, Nash, Madden)

I'm expecting brb to be in charge for this game so have assumed he will have List and Nash playing as per my suggestion on the other thread.

5. brb

brb CR250

Going to change my prediction with the announcement today of AP's departure, teams i feel tend to pull off a win after a manager leaves but I still think the Irons will be too strong for us...

Gills 1-1 Scunthorpe

6. KFG

KFG Active Member

Gills 0-2 Scunthorpe (Novak,Van Veen)

7. MJK007

MJK007 Member

Gills 0-0 Scounthorpe

8. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Cant see much changing for this game. Hopefully their will an upturn though.
    Gills 0 Irons 2

9. JAMES THE GILLS MAN

JAMES THE GILLS MAN Active Member

Gills 1 Sthorpe 1 Nash, Novak PEN

Nelson to start

10. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

Gills 0 (Scunthorpe 1 Novak)

11. gillspb

gillspb Active Member

Gills 2-1 Scunthorpe (Nash, Parker)

12. geoffthegills

geoffthegills Well-Known Member

Gills 0 Scunthorpe 2

13. Steve347

Steve347 Active Member

Gills 1-2 Iron Parker

14. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

While the centre of defence looks reasonably secure and Scunthorpe are not the most free scoring team in the division I can't see them not conceding, despite an anticipated more defensive set-up from PT. Hopefully we'll scrape a draw, but that's more from the heart than the head.

Gillingham 2 - 2 Scunthorpe (Wilkinson, Bingham)

15. jayGills74

jayGills74 Active Member

Gills 0 Iron 3

16. DebbieA

DebbieA Well-Known Member

Gillingham 0-0 Scunthorpe

17. The Shouting Man

The Shouting Man Active Member

Just seen the starting 11....!

Gillingham 0 Scunny 5

18. patchy70

patchy70 Well-Known Member

Gills 0-3 Scunthorpe (Madden, Morris X 2)