1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gazidis 'major change' this summer

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by PINKIE, Apr 3, 2017.

1. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Arsenal chief vows to make big changes

Arsène Wenger has been told by the club’s chief executive there must be major “change” at Arsenal this summer.

Speaking on a fractious afternoon when isolated scuffles broke out among Arsenal fans, Ivan Gazidis told supporters that if Wenger stayed at the club beyond the summer he would be expected to oversee changes on and off the field.

Gazidis appeared at a question-and -answer session with fans before the game and insisted that the club was determined to move on after a “disappointing” season. One change may be the appointment of a sporting director to replace Dick Law, who is expected to leave in the medium term.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/arsenal-chief-vows-to-make-big-changes-hxqjgf9kd

2. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Sounds like cliched soundbites to me. How can you trust a man who has stubbornly done things one way and one way only for over 2 decades to suddenly be the figurehead responsible to oversee 'major changes both on and off the pitch'?

And I had no idea you had a sporting director. What does he actually do, given that Wenger has complete control of all football-related matters at the club (which is basically everything apart from the flavour of soup at the canteen)?

Quilllogic likes this.
  3. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Dick Law is our chief negotiator. I'd say his influence has been a mixed bag. He's brought in players like Sanchez and Ozil, but we've also missed out on some big targets, reportedly because we either don't want to pay the going rate, or because the negotiations haven't been sound enough.

4. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Sorry but this is a joke if they are proposing this. Are they that blind that they don't see it is the manager that needs changing first? He's had enough bites on the cherry to make things work, but it's simply not working. What different stuff will Wenger do on the pitch once these "major changes" occur? It's Wenger's flawed footballing ideologies that are at fault here and he simply doesn't see beyond that. He hasn't got the tactical nous or flexibility to win the league anymore, let alone the CL. He's had his time and it's time for him to move on. There is no shame in that, people simply can't stick it at the highest level, it happens to the best.

Quilllogic likes this.
  5. lazarus20000

Also this is a scam plain and simple. They already know that Wenger was signing a new 2 year contract but were too cowardly to announce it because the results have been terrible. Now they are coming out with some "major changes" baloney, so that they can justify giving Wenger another contract. Piskie, you can't tell that this is classic propaganda by the club to calm the Arsenal massive? Talk about blatant.

Quilllogic likes this.
  6. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Major changes promised? Its round about now that the season ticket renewals kick in don't they? #desperate

7. lazarus20000

It's all a bit obvious isn't it? Like they give two sh1ts that some scuffles broke out, more like their revenue streams are in danger!

8. lazarus20000

9. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

My first reaction was suspicion. I guess we'll see what 'major changes' transpire .... or not.

10. lazarus20000

Yes but no matter what changes happen, we still have Wenger in charge. We all know he hasn't got the ability to do it anymore, so any changes that occur will be a waste of time. We will end up blowing another 1 or 2 years getting no closer in the league or CL, if anything, we will decline further. At least with a new manager, we can start new and build from there. Wenger will carry on from where he left off.

You can't teach an old Frenchman new tricks, he will merely do something slightly different but arrive at exactly the same point.

I'm sorry but I've been waiting ages for Wenger to turn a corner but that corner ain't going to come. Wenger doesn't have anything left in his locker anymore, he simply doesn't know what to do but repeat the same things over and over again. Sadly his best days are wayyyyy past him.

Citizen Kane and Quilllogic like this.

11. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

My money is on Gazidis making a major change this summer to ... his hairstyle.
    If that doesn't create a queue of world class players begging to sign for Arsenal
    in the summer, then I don't know what the world is coming to.

lazarus20000, BobbyD and PINKIE like this.
  12. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Wenger will do a sub at 55 minutes???

lazarus20000 likes this.
  13. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

<laugh>

14. BobbyD

BobbyD President

i heard instead of signing 5 midget forwards from ligue 2, wengers going to sign 5 midget defenders from ligue 1

15. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

I am as skeptical as others have stated. While the players we bring in are not entirely ideal and I welcome any shakeup to the current system in place, I still maintain our major problem is the mentality that runs throughout the club. We need to be more ruthless. Anything less that top shouldn't be good enough. Unfortunately I think it is the manager who creates and lays out said mentality...

I urge the club to prove me wrong though.

16. lazarus20000

I've been saying that for the past 10 years to myself but the only thing the club proves is a healthy profit. Wenger stays and we'll see more of the same, with the exception that we won't qualify for CL anymore. There are better managers with better teams in the PL now, this is the reality we have to face under our current regime.

Quilllogic likes this.
  17. lazarus20000

When you have business people that know little about football, how can we expect anything different? They are too scared of change, they've been so used to Wenger doing everything that they don't want to rock the boat, why would they? Gazidis and Kroenke haven't got a bloody clue but what they do know is how to make a pretty penny. But their shortsightedness will see Arsenal decline further. Why? Because everyone has learnt and moved forward. We are 6th because we are as good as the position indicates, everyone has moved forward with better managers that have adapted to the changing landscape, whereas Wenger is persistently clinging onto his failed ideology, as are his staunch supporters hoping for his second coming.

It's looking more obvious that Wenger will take the 2 year contract, even in the midst of increasing fan backlash. Things won't get better on the pitch or the support. But this was predicted by many, labelled unfairly as anti-Wenger and foolish. It's a shame, had we made the change a few years ago Arsenal could have been resurgent again, instead we are entering an abyss. But the club will bounce back once the fans take the club back from the current regime.

Quilllogic and Citizen Kane like this.