1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gas v Stevenage.

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by GreatWesternGas, Jan 8, 2020.

1. GreatWesternGas

GreatWesternGas Well-Known Member

Game has just finished and I honestly cant believe we were so inept. Almost speechless about how we can put up so little fight for £40,000 prize money and the chance to progress towards a Wembley final. Not a single shot on target in 90 minutes. I know many people object to the format of the competition and have been boycotting games etc, but a win tonight would have been invaluable to the new manager, the players and even the fans to build some confidence in the team, before some very hard league games coming up. I hope those that were so critical of GC are satisfied now - it may not have been pretty football but didn't half grind out results against the odds, and from being top of the form table and 4th in the league one minute, we are now in danger of freefalling down the league, and capable of being beaten by absolutely anyone. After all, if you don't manage a shot on target all game, you aren't going to win any matches. Its not a difficult principle to grasp but our team seems to be struggling with it at present.

old timer likes this.
  2. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

JCH and Tom Nicholls are friends off the pitch and I can see JCH asking to leave if Nicholls does go and if that happensI can't see where the goals are going to come from, still the dream of the playoff's was good while it lasted

Stollie likes this.
  3. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I didn't watch the game. I am one of those who don't like the competition and I wouldn't have gone to Wembley if we had made it that far. However, I did listen to the game in the background of what I was doing, only to hear how many we put past a poor team at the bottom of the division below us and how our new signings get on. Not cared at all about the result. But I can see the point you were making about a win would do the new manager a big boost. Especially when he said before the game that he takes this competition seriously, unlike a lot of fans for a lot of clubs. The manner of the defeat worries me. No shots on target. No decent chances created. Couldn't keep the ball and couldn't pass either. I got the impression that Stevenage sounded like the team from a higher division and we were in the lower division. I know the weather conditions were really bad but it was the same for both sides and they seemed to create chance after chance and we were lucky to lose by just 1 goal. This defeat will only create more pressure on the new manager. Thankfully (for me) we are out of this competition and can concentrate on using this time of not having these games where we can get more time on the training pitch for the new manager. I am also not too disappointed or worried as the performance vs Coventry was very pleasing. Maybe so many games in such a short time is taking its toll, seeing we used a lot of the same players against Stevenage that was used for the last 4/5 games.