1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Garth Crooks slates Wenger

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by cini65, Oct 26, 2013.

1. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

So Wenger says we should wait for evidence of the racism before we make any decisions... And this angers Crooks? Am I the only one who thinks Garth Crooks is a moron for condoning logical thinking?

His general opinions on football are shocking anyway given his columns and team of the week things, so I shouldn't expect anything else really I suppose.

2. Tiddler

Tiddler Hoshu-tekina

link?

3. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Garth Crooks is a twat.
    He is also mad at Mourinho because Jose said that the best way that Black players can show they deserve a place in football is to show up to the world cup and show the world what they can do, and that the World Cup should be the best football exhibition on the planet and that it wouldnt be without the black contingent.
    This also angered Crooks........bell end.

4. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24679885

Garth Crooks is a idiot. What Wenger actually said was this:

Wake up Garth, you can't just go and boycott and entire tournament until a proper investigation has been done and then any sanctions imposed. By all means if Racism is proved and nothing is done then go ahead and threaten a boycott, but until then it just looks like you're throwing your toys out of the pram and it's not actually very constructive.

5. suker_suker

suker_suker Well-Known Member

I just think Crooks is a bit thick, bless him.

6. winifred122

winifred122 Well-Known Member

He's probably just trying to keep the racism agenda at the front of things. Bit clumsy and obviously didn't properly read what Wenger said. It would have helped him if his other general utterances weren't always fairly banal.

7. velachiperoo

velachiperoo Well-Known Member

Generally i think the man is a tool (an overly biased one at that) when it come to football. But I see where he is coming from - be he right or wrong is separate. Being a black footballer in the 70's and 80's he probably experienced a lot of racism so his stance is very different to Wengers or Mourinho's also there is a huge difference between a pundit and a manager in terms of involvement in the game which he can ignore. I think he could obviously said it better but i do see where he is coming from.

8. velachiperoo

velachiperoo Well-Known Member

That honestly is neither here or there as racism and homophobia are very prevelant in the eastern block especially Russia and this is by no means the first incident. The boycotting of the world cup (which Toure said threateningly not actually IMO) would be based on more than one game. Ironically I am with Mourinho - no black players turning up for the WC will be exactly what the racists want. Either all go or none.

Ironically he is a follower of Islam which is the most sexist and homophobic religion in the world (not saying he is) yet he doesn't seem to have an issue there.

9. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Islam aside, the point is not about Crooks having suffered racism, but how you go about addressing it. He's an ambassador for the Kick it out campaign and as such shouldn't really be making knee jerk reactions and slating managers who have in the same breath, completely condemned racism.

I can understand his frustration, but there are ways and means of doing things. Ranting in my book isn't one of them. It just makes you come off as a bit of a tool, especially when you're ranting at the wrong people.

10. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that all Muslims are sexist and homophobic. They may be, but I don't think it is completely proven at this point. The average Muslim is not going to be much worse than fundamentalist Christians anyway.

It is a difficult one this. Personally I agree with Wenger, and I think there is a big difference between boycotting a country because of institutionalized racism, like South Africa was, and boycotting them because they just have a lot of racist citizens.

What is the cut-off point? Do we boycott Germany, because there are still a few neo-Nazis about? There must be a few racists in Britain somewhere; should we boycott our own tournaments? Or is it just when 20% of the population (of a country) are racist? How about 50%? 75%? Who decides and how do you measure racism? You can't very well send out a questionnaire!

"The form is asking is we are racists lapochka." "Better answer yes my sweet, it is probably something to do with this new capitalism thing, we don't want to get sent to Siberia!"

Or are we saying that ALL Russians are racist? Isn't that pretty much a racist statement in itself?

11. Arsenal87

Arsenal87 Well-Known Member

Really, Islam is the most sexist-homophobic faith out there? Maybe you haven't read the Bible which actually calls for homosexuals to be killed, something ironically not found anywhere in the Quran, the main text of the 'most homophobic religion'.

Deuteronomy 20:13: If a man also lie with another man, as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Nah, but we'll just ignore these verses from the Bible, pretend they don't exist, and have a go at Islam instead.

As for sexism, if you'd like, i can get you verses from the Apostle Paul saying women should stay silent in Church without opening their mouths, and can never have authority over men in any positions whatsoever.

Oh and remember the whole Adam and Eve story per the Bible and Christian scholarship (at least classical scholarship), that it was all Eve's fault, which is why women go through pain during child birth, as a punishment. But nahhhhhhhh, none of that's sexism at all.

12. Arsenal87

Oh and according to the Bible, Jesus & Paul, women can't get a divorce unless the husband commits adultery or dies, only 2 reasons allowed for divorce, if she divorces for other reasons, and marries again, she's considered an adulteress. But nooooooo not sexist at all eh Velach, or not the 'most' sexist eh?

Romans 7:2-3

For example, by law a married woman is bound to her husband as long as he is alive, but if her husband dies, she is released from the law that binds her to him. So then, if she marries another man while her husband is still alive, she is called an adulteress.

1 Corinthians 7:39

A woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives. But if her husband dies, she is free to marry anyone she wishes, but he must belong to the Lord

13. Treat Williams

Treat Williams Well-Known Member

I don't get this argument. For a start, as Piskie points out, Wenger didn't ask for 'further evidence', he effectively said 'let's wait to see what the investigation finds before we do anything rash'. He's not questioning Toure's testimony. As for a boycott of Russia 2018, I'm not against it but I see no point in calling for one a full three years before qualifying starts.

Does Garth know how press conferences work? I'm assuming they were both asked for their thoughts by a journalist and they obliged in as diplomatic a way as they could. If they had said 'I won't answer, because I should only stick to what I know', how would that have made Garth feel?

14. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Never had somebody who claims to frequent Spearmint Rhino down as a champion of Women's rights ... <whistle>

15. Arsenal87

I'm actually quite the gentleman in there, :-D.

16. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I think that's a misnomer

17. gent

gent Well-Known Member

I think you are misrepresenting the statement of velachiperoo (which is quite normal for Toledo Strawmen Trumpton <laugh>). I think not many muslims would argue that the average muslim is more sexist and homophobic than the average christian/etc.

Both religions have these elements in their main texts in some manner, as for how much weight it carries to this day to the average muslim compared to members of other big religions? I think that is pretty obvious and possibly even a matter of pride to muslims.

18. Tiddler

Tiddler Hoshu-tekina

He uses a linen hanky.

As for the Islam/Christian comparison. Rather than quote 2000 year old crap that isn't acted upon, I think it more important to note the stuff Islamists DO act upon. Too many of them (& Glenn Hoddle) are not safe to be left to walk about in modern society.

19. Treat Williams

Treat Williams Well-Known Member

There's a lot in this. Analysis of religion is better served by studying behaviours within social and cultural contexts and the variables that mould them than from studying books many adherents probably haven't read.

20. Tiddler

Tiddler Hoshu-tekina

I bet you use linen hankies too ya posh git!

:p