1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Fully fit squad....

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by stretchyboy, Aug 16, 2017.

1. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Firstly, the positives..what a great start to the season. New signings bedded in from the start, and scoring goals.
    Played 4, won 4 (3 away too).. You can't ask for much more than that.
    Our 3 main strikers (less Sears) have all scored, we're playing some of our youth as well, and we seem to be playing more attacking and possession football.

Now to the not quite so positive.
    Who have we played? A bang average Brum, where we scraped a 1-0, a fourth division team that were non league two years ago, and two teams that'll probably be battling relegation. Add to that, that both of those teams, and possibly Luton as well, were the better team and had a vast amount of more chances and possession than us.
    Yes, we managed a win in them all, and came from behind on two occasions, but bigger and better teams won't be so giving and open.
    Our defence last night looked shocking, and millwall ran through our midfield like it wasn't there.

Back to the positives...
    We have a shed load of first teamers to come back and bolster the squad, so we'll have a much more experienced bench.

But, my main question is, and what my post was originally going to be about, is who do we drop and who will go straight into the team?

Let's start in defence. We have Webster and Smith to come back. I think Smith will be sub, but Webster will come in. Will that mean he reverts to a back 3/5?
    Now in midfield is where it gets interesting. We have Huws, Celina, Adeyami, Hyam, Downes to come back. Once all fit, our CM will almost definitely be Skuse and Huws. Hyam will probably be loaned out for the season. We now have a number of options out wide and up front.
    We can go as we did last night with the four forwards, which will leave us way too exposed and unbalanced,
    Or we can go three across the midfield with two wide men (Waggy, Celina, Sears, Rowe) and one up top (Garner).
    So, all in all...a great headache to have, which Mr McCarthy will have to be at his best to accommodate all and get his team tactics spot on.

I just hope that when all are fit, he doesn't revert back to that mind numbing boring football again.
    I suppose the longer we play well and are winning games, the less likely he will revert. Let's just all hope and pray we don't get spanked 4 or 5 nil this season.

2. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Stretchy for the not quite positive, I honestly couldn't give two hoots who we've played we have to play all twice I'll take a win any means any day though I get the sentiment.

Huws is the majorly interesting one for me. Can he play in a Mick 4-4-2 cm.... I have my doubts actually. Especially when Sears/ Waggy ( oh Mick ) were given a go wide at Millwall. Now you'd expect Celina / Ward to perhaps end up the two wide lads. However............ Mick always wants a firm base if he can, and if he's going to have four attacking players with Cole holding ( we all know Cole is going to start 46 or it appears ) will he allow Huws to play in the other CM spot. I actually think when Huws signed 3-5-2 was perhaps more in Mick's mind and 4-4-2 could end up being a problem for Huws. Oh well, it's a good problem to have!

We for once Stretchy as you've said have positive issues when players come back. I'm going to write Gerken / Hyam off as Dean's clearly #2 and Hyam probably needs a loan and Teddy Bishop god knows what's going on with him. That leaves....

* Webster. 100% a starter in either formation I would imagine.
    * Smith. Probable starter in 3-5-2 likely to be sub in 4-4-2 these days. ( thank god )
    * Adeyemi. Probably going to see more minutes in 3-5-2. Needs to get fit ASAP or going to be a long old season.
    * Huws = see above....
    * Downes. Only a slight knock but I think he could be a starter in either formation. Think he's going to have a Teddy 14/15
    * Celina. Wild card. Surely when 100% fit / settled / has the trust of Mick he's going to at worst be impact sub in either formation and could make a wing his own.

Sidenote - thank heavens Kevin Bru is nowhere near the side. Not remotely good enough.

3. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

We can only beat what is infront of us and as we know in the Championship "anyone can beat anyone" etc. etc. though agree we perhaps played some of these sides at a good point in the season, Brum in particular will invest and improve and Barnsley (stripped of their top players) and Wall (New to the league) are finding their feet. Though clearly great to have points on the board so early and hopefully build some momentum & confidence

I remember us beating Barnsley last season on the opening day and fans said the same thing.. That they were a poor side etc. but still went on to have a considerably better season than us. In summary, there is no rhyme or reason to football in the championship

4. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I agree we haven't faced the best sides really but nothing like a bit of momentum.

I'm pleased with the squad Mick has assembled I just wish we'd work on having a centre midfield, we've even got good personnel now in there. Let's use them not bypass them all the time!!