1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Fulham Away

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Sep 18, 2022.

1. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

We win this.
    I can feel it.

2. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

3. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Garbage thread.

So, you’re threads are getting better Chippy.

<cheers>

Albert's Chip Shop and Obi Wan like this.
  4. Dr Van Helsing

Dr Van Helsing Well-Known Member

Fulham look the better side so far, they're flying and at home , so it's hard to see past a Fulham win and I'm pretty sure the bookies will agree.

This Newcastle side doesn't score enough goals and relies on free kicks and set pieces almost entirely.

The only win Newcastle have registered was at home vs Forest and it took an hour and a 25 yard screamer to break them down.

I understand people want to keep blowing smoke up this manager and his sides arse , but the fact is this season isn't going very well and I'll be happy to credit when it's due.... right now it's in the balance, so perhaps they'll turn it around.

Last season they grinded out wins but never more than that and it's lead to unrealistic expectations.

My head says loss, but my heart thinks a draw if Fulham aren't at the races.

5. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

Indeed, great progress from Chippy.

7 whole words in one post, constructed into 2 separate sentences.

Next week's lesson will be to use words with more than one syllable.

Albert's Chip Shop likes this.
  6. magpie290761

magpie290761 Well-Known Member

Robbed of several points, lost only one (robbed again) in seven. Not yet involved in relegation fight sitting tenth but “this season isn’t going very well”. Where have you been watching for the last 15 or more years?

FadgewackeR and Obi Wan like this.
  7. Dr Van Helsing

Just giving my view on what I'm seeing this season mate. Time will tell, but I see a side incapable of scoring goals in open play and I see other clubs playing really good football.

I'm not saying it isn't better that the last 15 years in terms of direction, but the ship is going to take a lot of turning around that's all. :emoticon-0148-yes:

8. Obi Wan

Yep agree mate, it will take time and they've openly said that. I think things are changing for the better, but it won't be a straight line of improvement, or exponential growth. To make such a turnaround will involve some challenges and setbacks as we they new things and change personnel.

But it at least feels like a club that is now trying. And heading in the right direction, even if not getting everything right yet.

Some people seem to be expecting instant success and that's just unrealistic.

magpie290761 likes this.
  9. magpie290761

I agree we are struggling to score but saying the season isn’t going very well just isn’t right or fair. We will all need more patience than is being shown

NUforever and Obi Wan like this.
  10. Dr Van Helsing

Just my view mate I think having spent 220 Million we should have more than 1 more win than last season having played forest Palace and Bournemouth at home.

I think those failures will catch up to Newcastle in the coming months.

11. magpie290761

It’s going to be harder playing teams that play like we used to but we will pick up points that aren’t expected too so I’m not worried

12. Dr Van Helsing

Unrealistic expectations and highlighting reality aren't really the same thing, but of course it'll take time and of course it'll involve ups and downs I absolutely agree.

All I'm saying is that this season so far hasn't gone particularly well I'm not bringing the wider debate into dispute.

If there's people out there thinking a squad with these **** players in can compete for top 8 they're on glue, so surely suggesting a flirt with relegation isn't unrealistic?

Obi Wan likes this.
  13. Dr Van Helsing

Absolutely clubs now know how to deal with Newcastle they've been figured out and until Howe finds a new way it's a problem.

I'm concerned that he simply doesn't have the players to play this way... I feel like he's trying to turn water into wine.

14. Obi Wan

Yeah and I've been predicting mid table, which I think we are on course for.
    It's only 7 games. Others might be thinking of top 8 or better, but I think with all the change in place, mid table is fine this season, while we begin the transition. I don't think we'll be dragged in to the true relegation battle of recent seasons.

magpie290761 likes this.
  15. Dr Van Helsing

10 games is the 1st marker... If newcastle are still on 1 win after 10 I think more people will begin to see my view that's for sure.

Time will tell let's hope I'm wrong

16. magpie290761

I don’t agree with the “found out” description, more a case that teams are more frightened of Newcastle and packing the defence. We are playing differently too with some of the passing excellent but still learning how to break down this type of style. Learning how to break that down and getting a stronger squad will take time. Something you preached a lot all summer.

Obi Wan likes this.
  17. Dr Van Helsing

Exactly that's what I'm saying. Clubs now know they can just sit and counter newcastle but the back end of last season they were coming to win.. Thats why I'm saying figured out.

Newcastle so far have failed to find a way to way to win apart from vs forest which took a 25 yard screamer.... That just won't happen every two weeks.

18. Darth Tash

Darth Tash Well-Known Member

https://www.footballfancast.com/new...lan-saint-maximin-premier-league-magpies-howe

ASM is out.

For me -

Almiron----------Isak-----------Fraser
    ---Joelinton--Bruno---Willock----------
    Targett----Burn------Schar-----Trippier
    --------------------Pope--------------------

I would say start Botman, but I have a feeling Howe may start Burn to deal with Fulham's set piece aerial threat with mitro etc.

Can we please start Fraser and Almiron to they can play balls into the box to Isak rather than just cutting in and trying woefully to score?

19. Welshie

Welshie Chavcunt fanboy dickhead

We are trying to play a dynamic system, we try to play in 3s, run at opponents, keep possession and push down the wings.

The problems? We lack an out and out striker, Wilson is a cripple, our wingers can't score, especially the right hand side who are dire.

The system works in the sense that we are clearly, very hard to beat. We have only lost one game and that was away at Liverpool, so, Howes system isn't flawed.

What's flawed is these players can't play that way as they're bad at it.

Willock specifically has been atrocious, especially when he "plays" down the wings. Crossing of a 5 year old.

Not signing Pedro was a tactical mistake from our board who felt Isak was enough, Isak is now covering Wilson and not playing on the right so, what do we do now? Just not score.

Fulham on the other hand have an experienced, passionate, tough striker who is on a roll and loves playing there. We are doomed.

Not gonna go down or anything, but top ten is far beyond this side.

Munson. likes this.
  20. magpie290761

Play Miggy in Willocks place and bring in Anderson if fit