1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Frustration boils over for Darrell Clarke

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by MassiveAttack, Oct 7, 2018.

1. MassiveAttack

MassiveAttack Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Sunday Independent ‏@thesundayindy 13h13 hours ago In our Bristol & Somerset edition: “On the red side of the city money is no object and on this side we are still sat in the dark ages" - frustration boils over for @Official_BRFC boss Darrell Clarke

A reply on twitter ' Sarge‏@sargentcidered 12h12 hours ago
    Replying to @thesundayindy @Official_BRFC
    I take this as a compliment. Clarke is rightly envious of what is going on across the City.The infrastructure & self sufficiency Lansdown is building is in stark contrast to the succession of poor owners the Rovers has had.The desire to compete with City is Rovers biggest problem

This over priced newspaper isn't available in my neck of the woods so I haven't read the full story from Darrell, but going by the Independent headlines why is Clarke bringing City into the equation? Making excuses for poor results or simply a green eyed monster?

2. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

He's definitely got a point. Taylor, Bodin and Harrison were always going to be hard to replace.

City have massively under achieved over the years. There can't be many people prepared to pour as much money down the drain as Lansdown.

Will City ever reach the Premiership? Definitely not this year, probably not next year or this decade tbh.

3. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

He has also got more backroom staff than the club has ever had not to mention a development squad { for whatever point that is }, bloody hell' Trolls just had Lenny, a few part time coaches and a good char whaller ! Sounds to me as if he is trying to somehow justify some of his own misgivings for the current campaign, carry on as is Mr Clarke and Salford City here we come !

4. Gastronomic

It would help if he kept a settled side, but he's struggled to settle on his best back four and strike partnerships. I think things will be ok eventually, and there are a few signs of improvement. No one's hammered us yet like they did last season and the defence is a lot tighter.

This time last season the form was W6 D0 L6 = 18 pts

This season it's W2 D4 L6 = 10pts

So it is just about converting those draws into wins and knocking in a few more goals.

5. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

He aint bringing City into it in a bad way or some kind of dig at your club. Its a dig at our own club. How many people at our club will like to see our manager compliment your club at the same time as criticising our own club? He is using City to make a point about how far behind we are with just not you but also with the times! He making a point that money is no issue at your club, stadium ACTUALLY been regenerated, new training ground ACTUALLY being built, infrastructure ACTUALLY in place to reach the promise land and an owner who ACTUALLY wants spend money. All the while, we cant even afford to put up 2 tents properly, even though we have sold our 3 top scorers in recent seasons, without actually replacing them!

I think this is the start of DC's plan to get sacked. He's had enough of being messed around and consistently being let down by the owners with their false promises. He signed a 5 year deal recently so will want to get a pay out instead of walking away. He can see whats gone on at BS3, which is what he has been falsely promised to happen in BS7 so bigging your club up is the ultimate wum at our owners while stating we are still light years behind with the times.

I don't think he is making excuses for himself or for where we are. I think he is making it clear to everyone that he is doing his best with his hands tied while being bent over and being fooked by the owners. He is basically pointing in the direction of the owners for people to be angry with instead of him and the team. Will the owners like this? I doubt it. Now we are in the relegation zone, owners like to panic to replace their manager. If DC wants out, speaking out about the owners like this while in the relegation zone will help him get what he wants. A good pay out!

MassiveAttack likes this.
  6. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I think they will, if Lansdown is willing to continue to back with his money. I cant see any signs of that stopping so I think its just a matter of time.

7. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

This is the issue. We have actually had more shots on target than Walsall so far this season and here we are sat 21st in the relegation zone and they are 5th nicely in the play offs.

8. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Here you go massive <ok>

You can listen to the full interview if you like but key bits for you regarding the point of your thread can be found here....

Start at 2 mins 45 secs and end at 3 mins 21 secs (A dig at where our club is heading)
    Then...
    Start at 4 mins 30 secs and end at 5 mins 23 secs (This mentions the quote in the paper)

MassiveAttack likes this.
  9. Gastronomic

Good interview. I'm sure he'll turn things around.

10. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

I still believe DC is the manager to take Rovers upwards and onwards, but he needs to be backed by those in charge

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.

11. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

I think CJS has hit the nail on the head. I was about to post a similar view.
    DC is obviously annoyed that he was deceived over the owners intensions. He signed in the day when Wael was the front man and keen to be involved. The owners have since presented a different front and cut back on everything that really matters.
    DC has been sold a pup!!
    Nothing of any importance is now in place in the club's plans.
    Tents, paint, long grass and sub
    standard squad additions do not sit well with what we and DC felt was to be our new dawn.
    It would appear that his loyalty to the owners has been ditched and he seeks pastures greener with the financial rewards that go with the sack!!

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  12. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I actually feel sorry for Wael. I honestly believe he wants to give us what was promised but his hands are tied by his family who are no longer keen on owning a football club.

old timer and Sapphire like this.
  13. Sapphire

Then they should come clean and remove themselves from the equation.
    Football is not just a business. It has much deeper ramifications.
    There should be no reason why Wael cannot still be involved if he would be prepared to take a lesser role.

14. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

I heard the original interview, he’s digging at your lot not us , I don’t really follow what happens at your club and not for me to criticise, but I’m confused , when your present owners took over I thought they were minted and were going to invest, from where I’m sat it looks like it was all smoke and mirrors , bottom line is if they don’t dip into their pockets soon I fear for your club . From this interview it seems DC thinks so too.

15. Sapphire

I think that's pretty much the point that CJS and l are making.
    DC's biggest asset seems to be his ability to keep his squad onside. A cohesive squad.
    We are confused by his formal or verbal arrangement with one of the squad, but other than that everything seems content.
    We all know we lack a big guy with talent up front. But if DC isn't given the necessary than that's not going to happen.
    He will not fail. Of that l am sure!

AshtonRed likes this.
  16. AshtonRed

Hasn’t he been saying for some time he needs investment in the team , he can over achieve for so long , but not indefinitely, to maintain the level you are already at needs investment, to have any chance of progressing still further will need major investment, we found that out when we came up to the championship.
    Winding up aside, I think you have no chance of progressing to that level any time soon unless Wael either provides the necessary money or you can find someone to buy him out who will.

17. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

In my opinion we got promoted too soon back to L1 and are not prepared/ready to compete at L1. However the last 2 seasons we have been over achieving due to DC. He makes mistakes and his selections are frustrating at times but no doubt about it, he is why we are in L1 and been surviving. DC has been calling for a new stadium and training facilities for ages but been given false promises. Just a matter of time before he goes.

18. Gastronomic

We're going to be fine!

We've drawn a few games instead of won, lost the same number of games as the same time last year, conceded a lot less goals and won three cup games.They'e really fine lines that win games, and you can see Jakubiak making a difference (2 starts, 2 goals) and a few of the old reliables coming back into some sort of fitness and form. Once that understanding clicks into place things will be great.

19. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Issue is DC still drop Jakubiak on Saturday and bring in Nichols instead.

20. AshtonRed

Maybe, maybe not , I don’t know enough about your players to have a view. However in the long run if as a club you continue to sell your better players without replacing them and continue to play at a ground which isn’t really up to league 1 standard let alone championship, you will sooner or later get relegated. You need investment , both in your team and infrastructure and you need it fast, the longer you wait the harder it will get.

old timer likes this.