1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Frisky Fridays / Leeds v Wolves

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Aug 17, 2012.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Happy FRISKINESS everyone,

Am I the only one who feels like a big kid, with the start of the new season tomorrow? :laugh::biggrin:

Anyone feeling nervous yet?

What team would you play?

Whats your prediction?

Here is the team news :-

0,,10273~8784788,00.jpg

Leeds United boss Neil Warnock will pick from an almost fully fit squad for the opening championship game of the season against Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday after welcoming back Tom Lees from injury. Lees was forced to miss the League Cup win over Shrewsbury Town last weekend after picking up a groin injury in training. The defender has returned to training this week and he will be in contention for a starting place.

Midfielder David Norris is also hoping to continue in the side despite carrying a slight injury into the game with Shrewsbury.

Davide Somma and Leigh Bromby are the only players definitely missing for Leeds as they continue their recovery from long-term injuries.

Wolves, who were relegated from the Premier League last season, come into the game in turmoil. Goalkeeper Dorus De Vries, defender Christophe Berra, midfielder Matt Jarvis and striker Steven Fletcher have all asked for moves away from the midlands club and midfielder Nenad Milijas has been told he can look for another club. Wolves boss Stale Solbakken also has a number of injury doubts for the game with Kevin Doyle, Kevin Foley, Stephen Ward doubtful and Bjorn Sigurdarson and George Elokobi only just returning to training.

Midfielder Jamie O`Hara is definitely out as he recovers from a double hernia operation.

2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning Elland - On Penshawdave prediction game I sadly have us down for a defeat, I think it will be a damn good result for us if we can take a point. The pain from last seasons opener against Southampton is still etched into my brain, all the build up and hype to be dashed in such a cruel manner. It wasn't the scoreline that I found crushing, it was the manner of the defeat.

I must admit, I did not know they (Wolves) were in such turmoil until reading your comments, fingers crossed..

I usually feel very excited as the new season approaches, no T/O no marquee signings and a thin squad has left me feeling a little deflated to be honest.

3. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Half the Wolves players don't even want to be there. I can see us grinding out a 2-1 win, with Becchio scoring in the last 5 minutes...

Kenny
    Peltier
    White
    Lees
    Pearce
    Varney
    Green
    Austin
    Norris
    Becchio
    McCormack

I'll be amazed if this is not his starting xi. Only other player who may come in is Byram, but Peltier stonger

4. BoggersMOT

BoggersMOT Well-Known Member

Morning Elland, morning those joining. Interesting to read the variety of comments on Piccionne. Not sure I think it's much of a signing, but time will tell.

As to tomorrow, early season, players settling down to the task ahead, oresome expectation at home, difficult match. I say a 2-2 draw.

5. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Good Morning Boggers, and Good Morning Ristac btw,

Piccione, I don't really know much about him, so cannot have set the world on fire at wet sham last season!!!!

6. Cosmic_LUFC

Cosmic_LUFC Active Member

2-1 victory for us..would prefer to see Poleon get a chance rather than spunk money on Piqueonnes wages..

7. Mr H

Mr H New Member

Morning Elland & Ristac - New to this..Normally at work on Fridays. I have a good feeling this year we have sorted the defence out which looks more solid and robust. Midfield again looks a no nonsense outfit and I expect us to be more compact and hardworking. We appear to lack creativity in midfield but hopefully with a loan signing or two we may be able to resolve this. Attack is the same apart from Snoddy but my fear is we still lack genuine pace to really trouble teams.

Now the season is about to start its time we all pulled together to show our support for the team and NW - MOT <ok>

8. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Will be happy if we keep a clean sheet. Sick of conceding bags of goals under Grayson. A load of scoreless draws this season would be a big improvement for me

9. Cosmic_LUFC

nice clean sheet and a goal for us would be better

10. The-Don

The-Don Well-Known Member

Piquonne is shocking poor signing but better than graysons poor signings

11. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Piquionne isn't THAT bad. He's a definite improvement on Paynter. Unfortunately we're no longer able to sign the Mark Vidukas or even the Michael Bridges of this world so as it stands Piquionne is about the best we can hope for.

12. bucks_is_leeds

bucks_is_leeds Jonny big spuds
    Forum Moderator

Morning all <ok>

13. DamnedUnited

DamnedUnited Well-Known Member

Morning all <ok>

Im glad we're finally getting underway and looking forward to seeing how this new team performs. I think wolves will be a good test for our 'strong core' and I'll be very happy with a clean sheet.

As for piquionne I haven't really seen much of him, but is too old for me. We have Rosco and Becciho so I'm more than happy for Somma to give backup (when fit) and give Poleon / Lennighan a shot at breaking through. Save the piquionne wages for elsewhere

14. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Varney, Becchio, Ross, Somma & Gray. If we believe that Becchio and Ross will be the front 2 with varney working the angles, that leaves us with Somma out and Gray as back up. So for me either Warnock believes Ross is moving on, or Varney is playing wide right and Piccione is back up.

Wish someone would give us a fooking clue as to what's going on behind closed doors. Piccione gets mixed views from West Ham fans as he's a poor mans beckford. Agreed though he's better than Billy or plenty of Graysons signings. But as he's not 'icing on the cake' player, does it mean we're goosed until January (If T/O happens)

Funny argument yesterday from a red scouse fan, who was taking the piss about us signing Duif. I explained to him that 'Swansea North' fans couldn't talk

15. Wolves White

Wolves White Member

Morning Fellas

Thought are watching these for a few weeks I'd decide to join in.

So happy the new season is getting underway this weekend. It's been a long but exciting off season. I'm going for a 1-0 victory over Wolves.

Regarding Piquionne dunno much about him and I'd rather have Ricardo Fuller but I'm willing to give him a chance. In Warnock we trust and all that

16. bucks_is_leeds

bucks_is_leeds Jonny big spuds
    Forum Moderator

Morning WW <ok> are the natives fancying there chances on Saturday?

17. Wolves White

Wolves White Member

I'll find out for ya mate but Sadly I live in Wakey now

18. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Why waste a wage on him when we could be developing our young talent, Becchio, McCormack and Gray as substitue, if we need another striker then use young Poleon or push Diouf or Varney into the front line. We go from being linked to Nicky Maynard from West Ham to signing absolute bottom of the barrel Piquionne - Another ex Portsmouth player at that...

19. Cosmic_LUFC

I would prefer to give Poleon a run over getting piquionne

20. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Yes I know, I'd prefer to use Poleon as back up while we await the return of the excellent Somma but we have Piquionne now so we'll just have to live with it. Obviously NW's seen more of Poleon than we have and doesn't think he's ready. Unfortunately he's also seen the medical reports on Somma and feels he won't be back in contention for the starting eleven any time soon... more's the pity as Somma's a class act. So instead of relying on Gray/Varney he now has another option in Piquionne <ok>