1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Friday Football

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Scowey, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

This week (yet another without Westy) we travel to the North West to take on Preston for what is a completely irrelevant game of football in the grand schemes of the Championship Season.

Our fate has now been confirmed.. As has theirs, with 4 consecutive losses they now find themselves 8 points adrift of 6th and their ambitious glances at the play offs will have to wait another year.
    Speculation around Alex Neil has been put to bed as he has signed a new 3 year deal which has been well received by Lillywhites fans after his continual links to the WBA gig.

Will we be able to play with more freedom since the inevitable has been confirmed.. Or will there be a hangover? The same goes for PNE who could be excused for having an eye on a well earned break or will they roar back into life after the future of their manager has been put to bed.

Both managers have warned there may be changes as they look to next season's campaigns so youngsters and fringe players may be given the opportunity to impress which makes forecasting a result a bit more tricky. Preston have lost 4 on the bounce including their previous 2 at home (albeit against Sheff Utd & Leeds) with their last win coming at home to Brum on 16th March so their fans will be hoping/expecting a result tomorrow

I will predict yet another 1-1 stalemate with some patches of good football, but plenty of scrappy tired spells throughout

2. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Too many of our underperformers will already be psychologically sunning themselves on the beach,so I’m going for a scrappy 1-2 defeat.

3. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Why do I have the feeling we'll win this?

Preston have nothing really to play for, as the play offs are surely beyond them. It draws some parallels to a couple of the middling seasons we had under Mick, when we were technically in the play off conversation with a few games to spare, but realistically without much of a chance. If the stirring reception Lambert and the players got after the Birmingham draw really affected them as Lambert said it did, then the players will surely be hoping to go out on a high rather than sleepwalk to a bottom place finish? A good performance here, with anticipated nice weather and a potential bank holiday boost to the attendance, will also not harm the season ticket sales for next season.

Against all logic, I'll opt for a scrappy 2-1 win against the run of play.

4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Going to stick my neck out and predict 1-1.

Nuggets likes this.
  5. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

Comfortable home win for me (hopefully wrong) I will say 2-0

6. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

1-0 win

7. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Nice to see no loanee starting..let's see how it works.
    I'll go for a surprising exciting 2-2 draw.
    Jacko and Nsiala

8. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Well there goes my prediction, 1-0 down already.

9. Roystonblue

& 2 - could be a long afternoon

10. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Looks like Bolton have had it. Nicer to have some company down there!

11. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Oops, Bart spills the ball and leaves an easy tap in. Poor from us today.

12. Nuggets

Embarrassing.

13. Roystonblue

The whole season has been. Roll on the summer

14. Nuggets

Indeed, but that was our first real thrashing and a complete capitulation. Far from having the shackles removed and no pressure with relegation confirmed, we just downed tools and gave up. It just further underlines the lack of quality in the side. No loanees started, and it showed as Chalobah, Bree, and Quaner are better players and provide more than what our actual footballers put out on that pitch.

The squad needs serious investment and improvement in several areas. We can’t just release a load of deadwood and hope to get by on academy players. Not if we are serious about promotion.

fieldmarshall likes this.
  15. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

I know I've said this before but there is a culture shock waiting for us next season, lightweights will kicked off the pitch by seasoned pros who never made the big time, hard work will get results not tippy tappy football with no end product, ploughed field pitches, and facilities way behind our training ground, posers and big time Charlies can forget it,.
    I'm sure Lambert has assessed the squad and knows who to keep and who to let go, ideally 3 defenders like a fully fit Collins would fit the bill but I don't see that happening so a vulnerable defence may let us down again.

16. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Sorry folks we should have won by more as for your lads build your side around Judge and Bishop you'll be fine, also credit to those hardy souls who travelled did not get points but they all got a free pint and a pie,.
    Good luck in League 1

17. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

That sounds as bad as I had expected,pathetic really and you have to feel for the poor souls who traveled!