1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Friday Breakfast

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Doc, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Morning all dont see a breakfast thread so assuming Matt is out of action with some male nurse. Hope he gets sorted out today.

So the big news yesterday was that we spent twice as much money on a central midfielder. The lad seems to have everything we need from experience, skill and fight. The deal is structured so that the total amount will be £4.5m but suspect Foreshaw needs to hit targets over a period. Good luck to the lad and it seems the banter is already flying as he knows Dallas well and also pennington and O'Kane from Everton days. Good interview on LUTV yesterday.

Obvious now that we are also trying to get a striker over the line. if That happens Radz will have done exactly what the fans wanted. Lets hope he spends at least £4m to hopefully guarantee goals. Marriot is available but cockney gobshyte says he can go but will be a price higher than Peterboro have ever recieved before, which means its a £6m price tag. Higill is still on the radar but Preston have him way over priced. Prijavic still hasnt signed the deal to go to Rennes and we would get him for £3m to £4m. Stoiy around Windass from Rangers but hes a midfielder. Anyone heard any other stories as my last one is this 17yo kid in Italy Kean, which I think is a joke. Lennon from Everton is a daily story this week, could it be real?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  2. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning Doc and all. Signing a striker, which is a must, will be the toughest.Anyone wort a damn will command high wages, likely a lot more than we can pay. When you consider for 60k a week, you get a Lasogga, it shows how inflated salaries have become.Our 15 to20k a week salary narrows the field drastically so cant really see us signing an established one. Lower division hopeful or a foreign punt are my bets

3. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all

Only striker link missing is Ulloa on loan..

4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

For me the best value for money is Prijavic but not even sure Orta is looking as its paper talk. Do know that Prijavic said he wanted to play for Leeds if you believe a Greek paper last month?

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  5. LeedsLover

LeedsLover Well-Known Member

Everyone seems to want to play for Leeds, our problem is finding those who can bring an impact with'em, instead of leaving it at the last team.

The striker we need is not just any striker, he has to have the capabilities, and skills to play in front of, and blend well with Pablo, Saiz and Alioski; if he can't do that, he'll look mediocre at best......:emoticon-0148-yes:

6. Nickwhite68

Nickwhite68 Well-Known Member

Any ideas LL? I mentioned a few weeks ago a mate of mine who's a Bradford fan had heard we were after Charlie Wyke. Just been on sky sports now a few teams are looking at him but no offers yet. Really wouldn't be surprised if he turned up at Leeds

7. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

I keep hearing all this talk about signing a new striker and get the impression from some that he'll be the last piece in the jigsaw. Can someone please tell me the name of the last striker we signed that had an immediate & sustained impact? Apart from Becchio, that is.

Wood? Nope, needed to wait to the 2nd season.

McContract? Nope, needed to wait until the 2nd season.

Beckford? Nope, needed to get farmed out on loan.

The list is endless. Sadly. :(

My concern is that people's expectations will soar to unrealistic levels again if we sign a striker, and as we've already seen this season, there's a lot of pain to follow when we don't meet the expectations.

Just sayin' .....

8. Whitejock

abbot.jpg This lass seems to have a few 'fans' on here, so thought I'd share this with you .....

Marcos Barber likes this.
  9. xbpod

xbpod Well-Known Member

Thanks WJ, just had my lunch.

Irishshako and Whitejock like this.
  10. Whitejock

<laugh>

11. leeds60

leeds60 Well-Known Member

Not many players these day seem to get off straight away and sadly this has been the case at Leeds if I had a choice I would go for Marriot as he knows where the net is and shows no nerves at £6m its a risk but if he gets 10 goals he will have paid us back and at 23 we can have a good few years out of him
    Hughill not sure he is prolific enough for me and Ulla too old for me no sale able value

bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  12. leeds60

leeds60 Well-Known Member

No doubt having slept with Corbin she will be our future Cancellor god forbid!

13. xbpod

xbpod Well-Known Member

I think they both deserve a medal, or better glasses

14. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

WJ is right on the impact striker front, but expectations were already high due to the season start but, a huge drop in form for over a month and then an uplift is results without hitting top form, and then the disaster of the last 2 weeks. Leeds fans get used to mediocrity as they know you need a plan and a good owner to change it. It looked like we had a plan and we have a good owner, so expectations rose again because the window opened. Something has to give up front and looks like Grot going out on loan. So something has to happen and if that means Cibicki is tried up front so be it, but Roofe isnt the answer and it may well be Lassoga isnt either unless he has a boost in form. The final piece of the jigsaw is when we are established in the prem with an ever improving squad each year, but that is a 5 year plan at the minimum if top 6 this season and promotion next season is the start.

15. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Is Marriott big enough to play lone striker? He's smaller than Roofe.

16. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Good point but think Marriot has more meat and bulk and seems to hustle his way through defences, whereas a faster Roofe is easier to get at because any small touch at speed kills the stride or knocks you over? Its why some fast wingers seem to go down easy

LeedsLover likes this.
  17. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Anyone else heard or read anything about Amanda Staveley now chasing Leeds Utd after Newcastle deal fell through with Ashley. She was part of the recent PCP Consortium who went first for Liverpool, then Newcastle and if this is right now Leeds? A smal section pasted below:

"But the Sun report Staveley, who has also failed to get hold of Liverpool, has her sights on Leeds, who were bought by Andrea Radrizzani last year from erratic former owner Massimo Cellino.

Staveley’s PCP Capital Partners group have been close to buying the north-east giants but negotiations collapsed this week when Ashley issued an explosive statement on Tuesday denying any deal was on the table and insisted talks have been “exhausting”.

Staveley has come out fighting against the “hurtful” statement and claimed she still very much wants to buy Newcastle and resurrect discussions.

“I’m very much still interested in buying Newcastle,” Staveley told The Times. “And our bid remains on the table. I’m very concerned, I’m very surprised and I’m disappointed about what’s been said this week.”

18. Leedsoflondon

You're right, he does appear to have more bulk than Roofe (who sometimes looks like a schoolboy against some centre halves) and not saying he isn't a good forward just wondering if he ca play alone up front.

19. Leedsoflondon

Doubtful if it's in the Sun or maybe a red herring to get Ashley back to negotiations by threatening to walk away.

20. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

If I remember rightly on those YouTube vids most of his goals came from running at defenders and hitting shots from the edge of the box? yes saw some crosses headed in and a couple of inside the 6 yard line but he seemed to get a lot of space to run into? think he plays in a 2 man attack