1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

French Anthem

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by framptonfrank, Nov 16, 2015.

1. framptonfrank

framptonfrank Active Member

Should we sing the French National Anthem "la-marseillaise" for Jimmy and his countrymen against Hull on Saturday? It could become his City song!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  2. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

If I sing it, it will be for all the victims. Nothing against Kodjia but the the song needs to have the full meaning and that's for all the victims in my book.

3. Mind the gap!

Mind the gap! Well-Known Member

I think that it would be ott, whilst it is important to respect and honour the victims there must become a stage where we move on with our lives otherwise terrorism wins if it causes a significant change to our attitudes and day to day lives. Whilst I would follow this or similar actions out of respect, I feel like we need to be careful to not give the scumbags Isis what they are looking for.

4. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

It's called a mark of respect, so why is that OTT? It's about all standing together which is not what ISIS want.

I can't believe I've read this!!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  5. cidered abroad

cidered abroad Well-Known Member

Observing a silence, waving a French flag or singing the Marseillaise are ways in which we can firstly show our respect to the dead and their families.
    Secondly is to make a statement to those who want to terrorise us, that we do not give in lightly.

I remember my father telling me when I was very young, about the bombing of the Bristol aircraft works at Filton. Everyone who survived, went home for the rest of the day. But at starting time the next day, all the workers were clocking on to do their day's work.
    And there is film of Bristol in the 1939-45 war and Bristolians making their way to work in the city centre through the rubble of buildings bombed the previous night.

We grieve for the dead but in their honour, we just get on with the future. Otherwise there isn't any future.

6. Shinycitylad7

Shinycitylad7 Looking at the stars mate

Agree with ROD. We don't have to sing the national anthem and give sympathy to every single French person now. What we'll be doing at the game tonight is perfect, as the French population will be watching and the rest of the world. Kodjia probably wouldn't even notice we were signing it tbf.

7. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Always remember the past but don't let it become the basis of your future. Le jour de gloire est arrive.

8. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I wonder if Celtic - or Cardiff - fans would sing 'God save the queen' if (God forbid) something similar happened over here?

9. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

What do you reckon ??!!