1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Frankel - Stud Career

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by PNkt, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

I don't know whether Masar is a good horse or not either Bustino, it's one of those subjective things that's hard to come to grips with. As for his failures in France and the US, I suppose they can be forgiven as heaps of horses don't travel well or handle the foreign conditions. He wouldn't be alone there. Charlie Appleby stated that the horse's future will be probably only take place in Europe. I suppose that means mostly the UK and just the Arc. Sheikh Mohammed and Appleby are pretty on the latter, so they must have a decent opinion of him. And as you rightly mentioned, Masar's injury put paid to the rest of his season, so we didn't get the chance to further assess him.

chaos80, Bustino74 and Ron like this.
  2. Grendel

Grendel Well-Known Member

Masar ran to 22 in the Meydan race. There is no way it was anywhere near 112. For starters he did not win that race, he was tailed off in 10th place as a flop at odds of 5/6 Fav.

The Racing Post rate each individual race, whereas other sites will just list whatever the official Handicap mark was when the horse ran.

Masar was defeated by 42 lengths in the Meydan race. There is no way he could have run to 112 after being beaten by the margin. It's simply impossible.

Roaring Lion and Kew Gardens were the only two from the Derby to do very much afterwards. One dropped in trip while the other went up to bigger tests of stamina.

I put Masar on 118 for his Derby win and would have Ruler Of The World on the same figure. It is my belief that the assessors beef up the figures of the Classic winners in order to shy away from admitting mediocrity in any given season. Harzand was also awarded more than he was due. Away from soft ground, I felt Harzand was a Group 3 horse. His stud fee is a lowly 10,000 Euros.

Jack Hobbs was another atypical Derby contender in recent times. He did not appear until the 27th of December and then landed a handicap the following spring to put himself in the picture. Only beaten by one of the best recent Champions in Golden Horn he later won the Irish Derby.

For me personally, there are signs of a changing of the old tendencies with a winner and two seconds who had far from typical 2YO careers. When considering contenders for the coming year, I am not seeing anything as a real solid contender when taking into account the current odds versus the colt's profile.

Of the horses we have seen, which ones really look capable of landing the Derby? There are bound to be several really well bred colts we haven't seen yet and my point is that perhaps one of them will land a maiden before managing to snare one of the trials. If it is a colt from one of the big stables and the trainer makes the right sort of comments then we could see a new name in the lists.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  3. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

Fair comment. Any horse can run a bad race and get a low rating. The jockey probably gave up riding him. I’d say Masar had some problems after his Solario win which took time to sort out. The 112 figure was his rating at the time of his Meydan races.

4. Grendel

Grendel Well-Known Member

I have never seen a horse run as badly as Masar did and then go on to win a Classic.

Charlie Appleby said this year that he has trained more Dubawi offspring than anyone else and that he has noticed that he sometimes "Loses" them for a period before they come back strongly later.

I make a mental note of comments such as that for future consideration.

Cyclonic and Bustino74 like this.
  5. chaos80

chaos80 Well-Known Member

He's doing well down under :emoticon-0169-dance

6. chaos80

Happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year everyone :emoticon-0169-dance

Cyclonic and Ron like this.
  7. chaos80

8. datona

datona New Member

9. datona

datona New Member

Dream Castle wins in Meydan.

Spinnyrourk likes this.
  10. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Didn't look the same horse that was beaten out of sight in his previous race. Won with something in hand today

11. chaos80

Turn the sound off OddDog <laugh>

Dubai Beauty came plum last in her race, she's a spent force since winning on debut :emoticon-0104-surpr

Spinnyrourk likes this.
  12. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

Hello chaps, sorry for the prolonged absence - life just gets very busy these days but I do miss posting regularly here with you all.

Hope you are all well and here’s to a great 2019, perhaps topped off with a Frankel-sired Classic Winner

13. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

Group winner #36 today

Ron likes this.
  14. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

chaos80 and Ron like this.
  15. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Crikey, the one that came from the back was shifting

LG likes this.
  16. chaos80

Today would have been the great Sir Henry Cecil's 76th birthday, i'm sure he would be proud of his favourite horse Frankel on what he has achieved at stud :emoticon-0169-dance

17. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yes. Indeed

18. chaos80

Nothing to do with Frankel himself more to do with his brilliant trainer, just like Frankel was named after the legendary Bobby because they saw he might be good there is a horse in India who was thought to be special as a yearling so they named him Sir Cecil.

Sir Cecil has now gone unbeaten in eight races most recently the 2000gns in Mumbai, he now heads for the Derby in India next month :emoticon-0169-dance

In a strange quirk of fate the second favourite for the Derby is trained by Sir Henry's stepson.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Ron likes this.
  19. chaos80

So, Cracksman is voted as the worlds best flat racehorse alongside Winx for 2018 at the Longines World’s Best Racehorse ceremony in London, both were rated at 130. I believe that Enable should have been there instead of Winx but i'm not a handicapper, just personal opinion.

20. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

Thank goodness for that Ron. <laugh>