1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Frank Lampard is the best

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Fernando Torres Chelsea's number 9, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Fernando Torres Chelsea's number 9

Frank Lampard is the best and most consistent English player for his club than any other.

Lampard has scored 133 premier league goals (24 goals for West Ham & 108 with Chelsea) and has 83 assists in 10 years for Chelsea since joining from West Ham in 2001. Lampard has won 3 premier league titles, 3 FA Cups, 2 Carling Cups and 2 FA Community Shields. He also came runners-up second place to Ronaldinho in both the 2005 Fifa world player of the year and Ballon d'Or awards - winning the silver award. Lampard is the second English player since David Beckham (Beckham came 2nd in 2001) to have finished in the top 2 of the Fifa world player of the year awards.

Last season 2009-10 Lampard scored, 34 goals in all competitions, 22 league goals and got 17 league assists also wining the premier league title and fa cup double with Chelsea.

Lampard plays as a box to box midfielder. He can retrieve and release a ground pass, pass a long ball out wide to attacking full-backs, wingers & strikers, can start and finish off a counter attack, is in the right place at the right time as he finds space and times his runs perfectly without the ball in to the oppositions box, he's physically fit, has a lot of stamina, takes set plays, scores and assists goals. Lampard Averages 20 goals & 16 assists and successfully completes 1400 passes a season from midfield.

2. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Apart from David Beckham, who finished second in both 1999 and 2001. And was also named in FIFA's greatest 125 living footballers, along with Bobby Charlton and Kevin Keegan, both of which were twice the midfielder Lampard ever will be.

It's plastic fans like this that give genuine Chelsea fans (i.e. those that supported before 2003) a bad name...

Also, in what universe does he "average 20 goals and 20 assists"? He's only ever got 20 assists in a season once!

3. The Ginger Marks

Call me Mr Picky here but wasn't messers Keegan and Charlton forwards?

To quote your own words "It's plastic fans like this that give genuine United fans (i.e. those that supported before 1999) a bad name...

4. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Try again Mr Picky.

Charlton was an attacking midfielder, who played a similar role to Lampard at Chelsea. He played behind Law, Kidd and Aston throughout almost all of his United career. The only times he played as a forward was in the aftermath of the Munich disaster, when we had no other experienced forwards. People tend to confuse him with a striker as he played further forward for England, particularly in 1966 when we had no decent wingers. But even then he was playing at the tip of a diamond formation, just like Ancelotti tried to do with Lampard quite a bit last term before going for Deco or Malouda on the tip instead. It doesn't make Charlton a forward, the same way Paul Scholes isn't a left winger just cos Eriksson decided to stick him there in 2002.

I'd probably give you Keegan, although he started his career in midfield, and won European footballer of the year twice with Hamburg when playing in midfield behind Hrubesch and Reimann. He only really played as a forward for Liverpool, after Shankly recognised how good he would fit with Toshack. I only included him so no one accused me of only putting in United players. That seems to have backfired now!

In fact, my argument that Keegan and Charlton both stand head and shoulders above Lampard is based on their flexibility. They played all over the park in their day, and filled in where needed, whilst Lampard has only provided his best performances when the team was built around him. I think that's one of the main reasons he's never performed at the same level for England.

5. The Ginger Marks

Bobby Charlton is a lovely guy and was a super player and such was his game that people thought he was a forward but you can't soften the blow of your Keegan faux-pas with the midfield thing. Loads of players start their careers in different positions than that of their accepted and best, so your attempt at damage limitation is noted and refused<whistle>

6. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Maybe, but as I pointed out Keegan was at his best (Two times Ballon D'Or winner) whilst playing in midfield for Hamburg and England from 1977-1979. So, by your own argument, if his best position was in midfield, he's a midfielder. And better than Lampard. QED.

7. The Ginger Marks

Another faux-pas, your very good at them aren't you? Keegan's recognised and best position by one of the best managers of this century, Bill Shankly used Keegan to partner Toshack......nuff said

The fact he did so well in Germany was because he was lightning quick and a forward which got him lots of goals even though he started from midfield for those two years.

Limitation still not lifted.......must try harder.

8. John Smith

John Smith Active Member

<erm>

Bollocks. I was going to start a whose better run, but I think it' slightly past that now!

9. The Ginger Marks

10. Fernando Torres Chelsea's number 9

Lampard averages 20 goals and 20 assists per season fact. I have supported Chelsea since I was 8, I'm 21 now - born in 1989. So that makes me a Chelsea fan pre Abramovich. I didn't know Beckham came 2nd in world player of the year until now because I simply don't care about Manure.

11. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Keep scraping that barrel. Keegan's best and recognised position by the fifty plus people who voted for the Ballon D'Or was midfield. Shankly only played him up front cos he was a better partner for Toshack than anyone else available. SAF played Rooney on the wing when he was the best man for the job...doesn't make him a winger.

Scrape scrape...anything more down there?

Oooh, he said fact! So it must be true! Never mind the fact that over a ten year career with Chelsea Lampard is recognised as having 83 PL assists, ten CL assists and 9 FA Cup assists. For an average of 10.2 per season.

Are you Rafa in disguise?!?

And you may not know Beckham came 2nd twice, but you really should attempt to do some research before claiming Lampard is the only midfielder to have won it. Otherwise you just end up looking silly...

12. - SW6 -

- SW6 - Well-Known Member

You have to admit, he's definitely got a point here.

13. Fernando Torres Chelsea's number 9

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/8941/frank-lampard?cc=5739 This is a link of Lampard's career profile: click career page and the G stands for goal and the A stands for assists in the tables and you'll see he does average 20 goals and 20 assists per season just look under the seasons total at bottom of all the tables.

http://www.premiersoccerstats.com/epl.html: This is a premier soccer stats web page of all players assists and goals since the start of the premier leagues inception 1992. On espn profile they couldn't find lampards stats including for west ham But premiersoccerstats has them. (just click link, then go on records, player all-time, then view goals or assists and look for lampards stats) Lampard has 131 premier league goals and 158 premier league assists.

14. The Ginger Marks

Of course he won't admit his wrong but then you expect that from a plastic circa 1992

The only thing left down this barrel my friend is your credibility!

15. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

WTF?!?! Great way to shoot yourself in the foot! Lampard's assist stats according to that site are:

2009/10 - 17
    2008/09 - 20
    2007/08 - 11
    2006/07 - 16
    2005/06 - 10
    2004/05 - 16
    2003/04 - 7
    2002/03 - 2
    2001/02 - 0

How do you make that an average of 20?!? Do you even know what the word average means?

Much as I would love to trust a site that look like it was made by an eight year old, I just can't. Mainly because it's entirely bollocks! It gives the wrong stats for the top goal scorer for EVERY SINGLE SEASON! It's like the site is actually trying to be wrong! I mean come on, you're a Chelsea fan. You should know that the tio PL scorer last season was Drogba with 29 goals, not Rooney with 21 like that mickey mouse site says. According to that site, no one has ever scored more than 30 goals in a Premier League season! I bet Shearer, Cole, Phillips, Henry, and Ronaldo would have a few words to say about that...

Please, stop digging. You're deep enough. Or at least dig at http://www.premierleague.com/page/Statistics/0,,12306,00.html to get some stats from a credible source.

I have already admitted that Keegan can't be called a pure midfielder. But will you, as SW6 said, admit that I have a point and that Keegan can be seen as both a midfielder and a forward? Or are you plastikovye, circa 2003?

16. ooh-bebe_sifi1988

Are you Chelsea's version of Nolhman with his Nani obsession?

17. Fernando Torres Chelsea's number 9

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/shared/bsp/hi/football/statistics/players/l/lampard_23277.stm look on this website it says Lampard has scored 202 goals in his career. Lampard has scored 20 goals from midfield for the past 5 seasons for Chelsea in all competitions. Ok his average is not 20 assists but his average is 16 assists per season close to 20 though.

For West Ham Lampard scored 24 premier league goals, with Chelsea he has scored 108 league goals = 133 domestic league goals.

18. Constcrepe

Constcrepe Active Member

<laugh>

He's not on at the moment, then I realise he's at school!!

19. The Ginger Marks

I think your find he was talking to you and I have a point

But scrape away pal I'm enjoying the read inasmuch that you feel you can retrieve the damage to your credibility:emoticon-0109-kiss:

&#1087;&#1083;&#1072;&#1089;&#1090;&#1084;&#1072;&#1089;&#1089;&#1072;

20. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm not denying he has consistenly gotten an average of 20 goals a season since 2004/05. I'm denying that he also has an average of 20 assists a season. Glad you now see the light ;)

I'm also not denying that Lampard is one of the most consistent, if not the most consistent, players for his club in the PL (over the past eight years anyway, Giggs edges it for me based on 20 years of consistency and PFA team of the year on 9 seperate occassions). I just couldn't resist taking shots at some of the claims you made - I just had to puncture your hero worship. And I still don't think you can call Fat Frank 'physically fit'... :p

I'm unconvinced. Maybe SW6 can come on here and clarify the situation.

I'm also impressed that you feel I have credibility to damage. I'm also impressed you still feel unable to admit that Keegan could play as both a midfielder and an attacker. I'm sure, with therapy, you'll come to see the light :emoticon-0142-happy