1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Football News

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by lardiman, Mar 26, 2020.

1. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

2. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Half of Charlton's squad now has less than 5 weeks left on their contracts.

Has there been a universal agreement that all Championship players will play on beyond the end of their current deals?
    If there is, they've kept it quiet.

Ken Shabby likes this.
  3. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

Good post. Has anyone actually checked the legal stuff in the rush to get the football back under way at all cost.

4. lardiman

Forum Moderator

My understanding at the moment is that Premier League Clubs do have some kind of collective agreement with their players, that allows the out-of-contract ones (even obliges them?) to carry on playing for their present Clubs beyond the end of June.
    Who is dealing with all the legal/insurance issues surrounding that, I do not know.

But I've heard nothing of any similar arrangement in the Championship.
    If there is not one, I cannot see how Charlton will be able to field a competitive XI from July onwards.
    Five, six or more trialists or academy kids in the match day team will make a fiasco of the whole thing.

I imagine several other Clubs are in the same boat.

5. lardiman

Forum Moderator

6. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

lardiman likes this.
  7. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Agreed.

I assume Mings will stand by his words and not take to the field?
    It will deflate his argument a bit if he sounds off to the Mail, then runs out like a good little soldier in three weeks time.

The Elfsborg Sparrow likes this.
  8. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I read that the EFL wants to allow match-day squads of 20 players instead of 18 when the Championship restarts, and a team will be allowed
    five substitutions during the match.

Why not I guess.
    In for a penny, in for a pound, let's spread the virus around.

I suppose this 5 sub rule is to help teams replace players who aren't fully match fit.
    A bit of a joke really. Unfit players in empty stadiums, half of them frightened of getting infected.
    And rules of the game changed as well.
    Not really football at all.

9. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Even more players worried about getting injured because they will be free agents end of June and injured players will find it very difficult to get a new club, my guess is that ALL Clubs will reduce their first teams squads by 10 to 20%

10. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

season restarts... lyle taylor refuses to play. great... thanks lyle.

Ken Shabby likes this.

11. lardiman

Forum Moderator

This is a strange development.
    Does it mean Taylor would have shied away from playing if the season had played out on the original dates, because he was scared of getting injured?
    That would be very poor and unprofessional.
    I guess he might be concerned that the break before next season begins will be very short, so if he gets hurt now he won't have time to recover.

His honesty does him credit I guess.
    As a BAME player he could easily have hidden behind fear of catching the virus.

I would say though that LT has a legitimate point if any Charlton game he is asked to play for goes beyond the end of his contract;
    (June 30th I assume).
    As for getting injured though, I think it quite a lot less likely he will be injured now than back in March/April/May.
    Without fans in the stadium there is much less pressure on defenders to put in hard tackles.
    I think I read somewhere that a lack of fans works against teams of bullies and bruisers, who are fired up by the fans cheering them on. Teams with more footballing skill are doing better than those who rely on breaking up the game.

Chris Solly is refusing to come back as well apparently.
    He would be less of a loss at the moment. But how many other members of the squad will refuse to play?

12. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

i'm unsure why CS would not want to come back. one man club... he wont get a move to another club. maybe gillingham, but he should come back and try and show what he's about?

13. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Here's a question to anybody who has been following German football since it restarted.

Have the results of any games gone against the footballing skill of the teams involved?
    In other words, have the underdogs won any games?

I heard it said a while ago that without fans in the stadiums, teams who rely on breaking up play and getting in the faces of their opponents will be at a greater disadvantage, as these kinds of teams rely on a noisy tribal crowd to spur them on.
    Teams who have more skilled footballers (the bigger, richer teams) are now much more likely to win. So surprise results or 'giant killings' - one of the things that sets football above other team games - will become much rarer.

Has this happened so far in the Bundesliga?

14. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

In many ways, I don't think Taylor has much of a case initially. Had he said he didn't want to play because as a BAME player, he was worried about catching Covid-19, I would have seen this as fair enough. The UK is still coming out of the first wave of infection, and a second wave is a real possibility. But he doesn't want to play as it might jepordise his next contract. Sorry but he's under contract with us úntil the end of june, and I assume he is being played. There will probably be thee matches in that period, and he should be playing. After that, he goes out of contract, and if he doesn't wish to play, that's a decisión I wouldn't complain about. That is a mess generated by the EFL's refusal to deal with this problem except with a 'finish the sesson at all costs'. Health comes first. I've seen people discussing that key workers, but footballers are not key workers. There is no reason for this race to get the season finished, apart from the usual fil by te EFL, and the clubs. The EFL knew a lot of contracts would end on 30th june, but they seem to have made no provision for this, beyond their usual bumbling. But Taylor wants to not play because he feels like it. If Charlton had got in first and stopped paying him because tey felt like it (during his injury period in the autumn for example) there would have been an outcry, and rightly so. So for me, he should get his boots on and leave when his contract ends

15. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Here we go...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/52896355

Bristol City boss supports "artificial crowd noise" at Championship games.

What for?
    Are Bristol City one of those Clubs that play a jingle over the PA when they score a goal?
    Are they going to have cardboard cut-outs of supporters in the stands?

I don't know what we're going to see in three weeks time (assuming any of it gets onto TV), but it isn't going to be football.

16. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Some positive virus tests in the Championship

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52914066

9 out of 1,094 is not very many on average (less than 1 in 100) but there were 10 other positives at the weekend.
    And a recent report on the BBC news website claimed that 1 in 5 Coronavirus carriers shown negative when tested.

And the Premier League is discussing options in case Project Restart hits the buffers...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52913164

It seems an ever growing number of people are now thinking a second wave is more likely than not at this point.
    (A work colleague of mine who has some friends in the NHS says they are resigned to it now, and are just waiting for it to come).

However, I would not be surprised if the Government and the PL still try to press ahead with TV football even if infection rates go back up.
    They will claim the strict safety rules will keep players safe, even if other lockdown measures are tightened again.

A dogged determination that watching a handful of PL games on free-to-air telly will make everyone forget what a miserable mess this whole pandemic crisis is descending into. And that the sight of Gary Lineker's smug boat race on TV again will be a great boost for the morale of the plebs.

17. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

5 minutes of watching a game in an empty stadium will be enough for people to press the off button.

18. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I tend to agree.
    I've not watched any of the German games, but I don't think I would be pleasantly surprised if I had done.
    Games in empty stadiums mean nothing more than training sessions to me, or pre-season friendlies.
    I may begin watching the first free-to-air Prem game when it comes on, but I don't know how long it will hold my attention.

It's the fans who make football matches worth playing at any level above Sunday morning kickabouts.
    I should think that applies even at non-league ground-hopping level.
    Watching a match with even 75 or 150 other supporters has got to be a better experience than being there alone, or watching it on TV and knowing the ground is empty.

I guess it will be interesting to see what verdict the public at large gives it in a couple of weeks time.
    I think I'll skip all the pre-match build-up as well. That is bound to be way over the top. Gary Lineker will need several sets of underwear I expect, he'll be so over-excited and full of himself.

19. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Premier League teams are to be allowed 5 substitutions during each game for the rest of the season;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52914350

And the subs' bench can have up to 9 players on it.

But in order to minimise match disruption, each team can only stop the game to make a substitution 3 times.
    So in order to use all 5 subs, a team will have to make 2 double substitutions or 1 triple substitution.

Yes, that makes perfect sense.
    Obviously no advantage to teams with bigger, more expensive and more skillful squads then.

20. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Unbelievable...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52935492

Benfica's team bus attacked after a behind-closed-doors match - their first one.
    Utterly shocking.
    This of all things I would not expect after months without football... :headbang: