1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

First thoughts on the tranfer window

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Willa Pond, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Willa Pond

Willa Pond Active Member

I've pretty much been away from from the forums since the end of the season (I honestly found the 'banter' to be getting tiedious, witless (in every sense of the word) and oh-so-predictable).

Anyway I have to say I'm feeling quietly optimistic about the coming season, I think there are a lot of teams who are looking weaker than us and while I'm not actually expecting Europe (or particularly interested in getting there 'too early') I think we have to believe we will be in the top third of the league.

(b.t.w. am I the only one who thinks Spurs will actually go backwards this year?)

Mind you, still not 100% sure how many of the 'signings' are actually confirmed and how many are just probables (been away from the internet for over a week) but first impressions are that so far we're looking to gather a squad that has plenty of experience along with some players who have the potential to be great... it feels like a better balance this year.

Haway the Lads

2. Steven Royston O'Neill

Steven Royston O'Neill Well-Known Member

Welcome back MDITWP and the reason the banter became tedius and witless is because only us tedius witless souls remained, oh and we needed a boost.

I have to say I am very happy so far, not only do we seem to have a sensible plan but I can see the plan, understand it and agree with it.

We now have Westwood, Dong,Wickham,Larssen, Gardner signed, feel like I have missed one there, and more to come

3. Steven Royston O'Neill

did someone lock this thread or was it an error

4. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Had a busy start to the transfer window, and liking what i see so far, it's gonna cause problems for Bruce but in a good way.

G/K Gordon/Mig or the new fella?

Midfiels Gardner/Larssen, and maybe Gibson, to contest with Catts/Colback etc...

Seems like more to come, and hopefully soon, so as Bruce can have a look at his squad in pre-season, and some tough decisions to be made.

So far so good, just a few more required.

5. talcnturnip

talcnturnip Well-Known Member

Happy with the signings so far not too happy with what we are being linked with now. All paper talk and speculation I know but, no smoke without fire etc. we still need to sort out our left side and a very good CB would be nice.
    I'm more confident now than I was a couple of weeks ago and with a couple of decent signings we should be looking at 10th to 8th place finish. Agree Europe will be a bridge too far I think for this and maybe next season but, after that maybe we could get there and give a good account of ourselves Fulham did it a couple of years ago so why can't we?

6. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Good start, keep them coming.

7. connor wigham

connor wigham Active Member

sunderland seem to love getting rid of there youth (on loan or selling) so i expect a few loannes to be leaving the SOL this year also Syd its that arsenal lad you missed

8. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Who has been the best signing so far?

Gardner for me...

9. connor wigham

connor wigham Active Member

wickham because to get him sunderland had to beat of liverpool,spurs and a couple of other teams and he is a great signing

10. Cest Advocaat

Cest Advocaat Well-Known Member

Wickham captured the headlines and correctly so because it was a very sought after signature, however, the best so far, in terms of what he can bring immediately to the team, would be Gardener (goals scoring midfielders are in short supply at the SOL) but I have a feeling the very best is still yet to come.

Stay tuned MDITWP and we hope not to bore you too much while you're here eh?

11. Bexinio

Bexinio Well-Known Member

Positive about the signings, need better defenders and experience so hopefully O'Shea comes in, not too bothered about Brown, if fit then he was great but how much will we get out of him? Still think a big Samba bid should go in lets try Arsenal's hand as they are panicing to keep their own players at the moment!

And is it still wrong to want that major centre forward signing, because as much as we hate him now Bent is still a massive hole in the team, defoe anyone?

12. talcnturnip

talcnturnip Well-Known Member

Best signing for me is Larsson he is exactly what we were missing last season, good delivery (at least past the first defender), chips in with a few goals and has a great free kick on him.

13. Steven Royston O'Neill

think it was you he meant cest, I know it would not be me, tiedious and witless, never, not a tied or wit in me

14. Willa Pond

Willa Pond Active Member

haha

I was actually thinking of the visitors to the Sunderland forum when I refered to witless, tiedious and predictable banter.

15. gillmackem

gillmackem Active Member

well happy at the moment,still like to sign zog, a left back the man u trio and areal top striker,but it will be easier said than done