1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Firework Debate

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by swanseaandproud, Nov 5, 2019.

1. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

With yet another child getting burnt watching fireworks, is it about time that fireworks should be banned to the public in preference to well organized displays....The fireworks than can be sold today are so dangerous now in the wrong hands....I'm all for banning sales to the public and would prefer organized controlled display these days....

2. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Agree

3. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

Fireworks are a pain in the arse where I live. I have a noise sensitive disabled daughter and they're letting them off for a week or more either side of Nov 5th.

They also have zero consideration for anyone by letting them off until very late at night. Organised displays only please.

Victor, swanseaandproud and 55282 like this.
  4. Victor

Victor Well-Known Member

I agree, it is all out of hand now. No consideration whatsoever for anybody or animals , many animals are terrified, and yesterday I read and saw a picture of a Puppy who had died of fright because of fireworks. This made me quite sad at the time, as I Am an animal lover. ... At the time of writing there are many going off now,and some of these obviously cost a bloody packet of money. Next week some of these people will be complaining that they are not having enough money. ....... But you are right, it is time to ban the sale to the public, and encourage people to attend organised displays.

5. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

I’m not against public setting off fireworks per say. What pisses me off is that it’s non stop for the best part of a week or two. It’s not fair on animals, poor things have to be kept indoors to protect them. People have no thought about them last night someone was setting off fireworks at 11.00pm, why the at this time?

Im sure when we were all kids it was 5th Nov and that was it. Plus the obsession now is we have fireworks all year long. Weddings, birthdays, religious festivals arghh.

So should they be banned, yes they should.

Victor, 55282 and daimungeezer like this.
  6. Victor

Victor Well-Known Member

Very sorry for the pets. ....... Reading on swanse news on Wales on line, A dog in Swansea was frightened by the fireworks, that he ran away, and was later found dead on th beach. Heartbreaking for anybody that lose their pets in this way. ...... I wish they were banned, but I'm afraid not much chance of that..

8past7 likes this.
  7. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

I'm torn on this debate really. I understand all the issues with injuries, noise, pets etc and I sympathise as well. However, I remember what I called 'old fogies' always complaining about this when I was a kid who loved fireworks - so I wonder if a lot of this is age related ?
    You only really fully understand something when you are directly impacted - so if you have pets who are left shaking in fear with all the noise then I can see why you would want them banned. The same goes for children and the disabled - I have a friend with an autistic son who totally freaks out with loud noises. My daughter doesn't like the sound of fireworks as she is scared by how loud they are so we have ear defenders for her when we take her to a display.
    I think displays are much better than any home show and that's why I don't buy any fireworks myself.
    I used to work the Big Cheese Festival in Caerphilly and the Friday night ends with a firework display. However due to complaints from the surrounding area about the 15 mins of noise from the fireworks, one year they did a 'silent' firework display. Basically there were a few fizzes that could be heard. It was the biggest pile of **** anyone had ever seen - people were walking away laughing in embarrassment.
    However, we have spent quite a few New Years Eve's in the Philippines and there are fireworks everywhere all day and night and the next morning and it's the best time I've ever had ! Everyone seems to accept it there and joins in with the fun.......

I don't know what the answer is really........earplugs maybe and responsible parents making sure kids don't get hold of fireworks.....

Victor likes this.
  8. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

My (disabled) daughter won't wear earplugs. She doesn't understand what they are or what their purpose is. She becomes hysterical and very upset with anything "in her personal space".

Organised displays can be staged in non residential areas. I wouldn't even mind so much if it was just on the one night but, like I already pointed out, it goes on every night for about a week either side of the actual day and late into the night.
    please log in to view this image

9. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

Yeah maybe adults need to apply for some kind of license to purchase Fireworks which includes the date/timeframe they intend to set them off ? Anything outside of the dates/times that the licence states could become a criminal offence ? That could put a stop to the run up to Bonfire night etc I dunno - I haven't really thought it through - just flinging out ideas.

daimungeezer likes this.
  10. 8past7

8past7 Well-Known Member

Personally I would chop their gonads off Vic.
    Organised displays only

daimungeezer, Victor and 55282 like this.