1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Financial fair play and long contracts.

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by blackcatsteve, Jul 9, 2011.

1. blackcatsteve

blackcatsteve Well-Known Member

I will try not to get to numerical here, but this is the reason i believe we are getting such long contacts in football now.

Lets say we spend 30 million and give all the players 3 year contracts, then to UEFA thats 10 million each season over the next 3 seasons, but if we give them 4 year contracts then that is 7.5 million over 4 seasons to Uefa, so it gives us an extra 2.5 million to play with each season, over the next 3 seasons. (as they only count the past 3 seasons).

And lets be honest contracts are not worth the paper they are wrote on these days, so you could buy somone for say 20 million over 4 years, you then sell him at a loss, for say 14 million after 2 years, you have already had that player for 2 years so thats 10 million wrote off the last 2 seasons, you get 14 for them so you have actually made a profit of 4 million to Uefa, and you dont get the 10 million taking off the next 2 years, its wrote off completely.

Just with all the mags saying we are daft to offer Brown and O`Shea 4 year contracts, but they are offering all their players 4-5-6 year contracts as well, its basically just so the club have more leeway in the next couple of years.

But saying all that, clubs are allowed to run at a loss over the 3 year period to a tune of 38 million, then after 2015 30 million, so i personally think we will be fine in that respect.

PS: Its late and watching the coppa america so hope all that made some sort of sense lol

2. Billy Death

Billy Death Guest

Steve mate, you've lost me, went right owa my head that.

I will ask my financial advisor though.

Anyways, hows you & your lass?

3. blackcatsteve

Fine mate, well wife is suffering a bit, went to her mams for the weekend, but i am bearing up.

Ok in laymans terms lol

Buy 1 player for 10 million, offer him a 3 year contract, to uefa thats 3.33 million a year for 3 years, say you offer him 20,000 a week, but he decides not to come, you could say, 10 million over 5 years = 2 million a year and up his wages by 500,000 a year which is 30,000 a week, and he will more than likely say yes, but in the long run the club is better off, as they have an extra 800,000 leeway each year (OK not a lot of money, but * that by 4-5 players and it soon adds up).

Yes you are paying for it longer (but its only the last 3 years that count anyway), but there isnt many players these days that see out their contracts, especially not 4-6 years worth of them, so if you sell him in 3 years for 8 million, even though to us the fans we have made a loss, to the UEFA regulations we have made a 4 million profit.

4. Billy Death

Billy Death Guest

Steve, **** it mate.

I just agree, cant even get my pay to last the month out without dipping in the copper jar me!

5. HairBearBunch

HairBearBunch New Member

Fine mate, well wife is suffering a bit, went to her mams for the weekend, but i am bearing up.

Ok in laymans terms lol

Buy 1 player for 10 million, offer him a 3 year contract, to uefa thats 3.33 million a year for 3 years, say you offer him 20,000 a week, but he decides not to come, you could say, 10 million over 5 years = 2 million a year and up his wages by 500,000 a year which is 30,000 a week, and he will more than likely say yes, but in the long run the club is better off, as they have an extra 800,000 leeway each year (OK not a lot of money, but * that by 4-5 players and it soon adds up).

Yes you are paying for it longer (but its only the last 3 years that count anyway), but there isnt many players these days that see out their contracts, especially not 4-6 years worth of them, so if you sell him in 3 years for 8 million, even though to us the fans we have made a loss, to the UEFA regulations we have made a 4 million profit.

WTF??????

6. Ballin' Boy

Ballin' Boy Member

interesting! Hope you're right Steve!

7. blackcatsteve

All i was trying to get accross is, if you sign a player for 20 million, its doesnt go on that season, or even over 3 years, it goes on the length of their contract, so if you buy 13 players 1 season for a combined cost of 30 million say, all on 6 year contracts, then thats only 5 million a year, for 5 years, not 30 million at once, or even 10 million over the 3 years.

So the club has more cash to play with over the next 2-4 seasons, esp if their transfer/wage structure is close or over their turnover.