1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

FINALLY - Confirmed he's leaving

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by stretchyboy, Mar 29, 2018.

1. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

2. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Correct decision, but one that will spectacularly backfire if Evans makes a balls up of his next big decision.

itfcptc likes this.
  3. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Let the speculation about his successor really begin now!

4. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Might actually be a really positive move.. It's now public knowledge that the Manager's job is open and there will be a fair few managers who would be interested, or considering their future at their current club so could give Evans (and the board) a few weeks to receive and sift through a few applications.

5. yorkiegit

yorkiegit Active Member

Finally
    Cue Westy with the 'I told you so' lol

6. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

This is the right decision. Along with the season ticket pricing scheme, we should see attendances improve next season and I'd certainly be going to more games. Ultimately, what will determine whether we progress or regress from this decision rests upon who the successor is and how much money the new man gets to invest in the squad. We should be a fairly appealing destination for a manager looking to progress their career. We have a solid squad, a decent academy, a generally patient fanbase, and a loyal owner willing to give managers time. I just hope we go for somebody with hunger and success in the lower leagues or abroad, rather than a familiar, 'been there, done that' face.

I think history will judge Mick's time here kindly. While I believe the 'saving us from relegation' factor could have been achieved by many managers, he undoubtedly removed a lazy culture within the squad, overhauling the team and removing the mercenaries. He fostered an impressive team spirit and a sense of passion back into our identity, culminating in the impressive play off season campaign and that wonderful unbeaten run in the autumn and winter of 2014. Mick's problem was that he stayed too long and could not continue the progress, but that's the benefit of hindsight. I think the lack of financial resources was a key factor in that failing, so the blame is not laid entirely at Mick's door. However, our playing style never developed and he stuck to the same direct, negative style of play even when the talisman, Daryl Murphy was sold and, ultimately, not replaced.

I believe last season was the major nail in Mick's coffin. Some of the worst performances I've seen us play were becoming more frequent last year and Mick's worst personality traits, namely his arrogance and stubbornness, began to affect results. Constant sniping at supporters did little to enhance any long-term ambitions he had at the club and his blind faith in under performing senior players held us back.

I hope he gets a good send off for the remainder of the season and I'll definitely be there for his last game of the season against Middlesbrough to give him a respectful applause for the good times he did bring to the club. We're in a far better position than when he arrived, so he deserves credit for that. I'm now excited to see who we have lined up for the next manager, been a while since we can actually get excited about a new manager arriving!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  7. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Eloquently put Nuggs <applause> <rose> <applause>

Couldn't have summed it up better myself

San Diego and Bigalreigned like this.
  8. Nuggets

Thanks Scowey, I'm just glad the issue has been resolved and we can finally look forwards. This uncertainty had been hanging over the club for the best part of a year.

9. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

I wonder what sort of reception he will get in his last game? He did some good things but his attitude towards the fans was the main factor in his downfall (IMO). Syaing things like - the more they cheer for a player to be brought on, the less likely I am to bring him on & then (for me) not so much the swearing but the arm gesture made towards the fans in the Norwich game. I would like to think he will get a fair & respectful send off but I wouldn't bet on it
    Also, bet the ticket office get a rush of people now renewing season tickets - be interesting to see attendance for 1st home game of next season - after 2 years away, I'll be there

10. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Canary in peace.
    Any managers out there you think a) would be a good fit and b) would be
    prepared to come given the financial constraints?

11. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

As nugs put it, i don't want a "been there done it" manager, ala McLaren (who i think will get the job), but someone a with a new fresh approach.
    I've no idea which managers are out there that fit the bill, so i'm hoping for someone a bit leftfield.
    Reading an interview with the dutch lad, he definitely sounds like the kinda guy i want to see at Town.
    Interesting interview he did last Summer.
    http://www.football-oranje.com/exclusive-interview-vvv-venlo-manager-maurice-steijn/

JR ” During the summer you were linked with a move to Ipswich Town in England. Would you like to work abroad one day in England or another foreign League?”

MS: “Yes that would be fantastic. There appears to have always been the feeling that I could only work at ADO Den Haag or only here in the Netherlands. I have shown the last 3 years here leaving my family behind in The Hague and commuting everyday to Venlo and sacrificing a lot achieving a 7th place in the first season, The following season finishing 2nd and to become champions last year and to also win the title of best coach in the Jupiler League last season the ‘Gouden Stier’ (Golden Bull) award and also the Rinus Michels award for best manager (Jupiler League 2016 / 2017 ) that it was all worthwhile. I am not fixed to just a certain club in a certain country. The moment that a new challenge presents itself I will be open to it and VVV Venlo are aware of this. I am intrigued about other countries and cultures. I would look at the size of a club and the possibilities it offers and also the chance to project my vision there of giving young players a chance and helping players to develop and the club to grow.”

12. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

The names that are being thrown around are getting quite a lot of mixed feedback and probably understandably. The likes of Maclaren, Warburton, Cowley, Mowbray, McGreal, Cotterill, Powell have featured quite highly on a few betting sites and the likes of Maclaren, Mowbray and McGreal have been linked in recent weeks.

Not any of them get the pulses racing, but then if previous appointments are to be considered then Evans will look for someone with Championship experience who has achieved promotion before.. And what with Mowbray being a former player a lot of fans are suspecting he is the owners 1st choice.

Personally I'd go down a different route and get someone like Nathan Jones, Paul Tisdale, Paul Hurst or Darrell Clarke in who have all built a good reputation in leagues 1 and 2 and deserve a crack at the championship. That way we can have a manager to build something from scratch rather than a Maclaren who would simply try to replicate what he did years ago and then probably leave if things weren't going well

Nuggets and Walsh.i.am like this.
  13. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

Agreed. I want a younger, hungrier manager but most importantly, a manager who sets his teams up to play attacking, attractive football (please no more hooooooooooof)

Nuggets likes this.
  14. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Just googled it and came up with this list of odds.
    Surprised to see Craig Bellamy's name in there! <yikes>

http://www.thesackrace.com/teams/ipswich-town

15. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Am personally gutted, i liked Mick and think he deserved another season to get it right!

16. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

If we don't hear from you for a while we'll know you've had a bit too much Rioja to drown your sorrows <laugh> <bubbly> :emoticon-0169-dance

I'm sure you'll come round to accepting Mick leaving soon enough :1980_boogie_down: <hug>

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  17. Nuggets

Would you take him at Barcelona?

18. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

That is quite the Rogues Gallery.

It wouldn't surprise me if our next manager doesn't even feature on that list. The early front runners rarely turn out to be accurate and some of the names from 20/1 and further are quite astonishing.

Though on Bellers, I'm sure I'd heard he was interested in management and remember being pleasantly surprised at how well he came across as a pundit (or may have been an interview) but would highly doubt he'd get anywhere near managing a Championship club anytime soon

19. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Well this is great news.
    Mick moving on is best for all concerned and will see a greater number of season tickets sold. I'd even go so far as to say there will probably be more fans in the stadium for the remaining matches of this season as everyone knows he's leaving now.

Thanks Mick for some good times and for bringing players likes Williams, Fraser and Lawrence in on loan, shame we never had the funds to buy a player of this quality. I'm not going to dwell on the negatives and wish Mick the best in his next venture, hopefully he's learned something about the importance of keeping the fans on side.

itfcptc and Nuggets like this.
  20. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Especially as Gary Megson is on it.
    You wouldn't, would you.............:emoticon-0112-wonde