1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread FA Cup Special - Chelsea v Norwich City 3RD ROUND REPLAY

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Jan 5, 2018.

?

Predict The Result

Poll closed Jan 6, 2018.
  1. Canaries Win

23.1%
  2. Blues Win

53.8%
  3. Draw

23.1%
  1. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

3rd Round Replay Tie

Chelsea 0 - 0 Norwich City
    FT
    HT 0 - 0
    Attendance: 00,000

Date: Wednesday 17th January 2017
    Venue: Stamford Bridge
    Kick-Off: 07:45PM

Referee: Graham Scott
    Assistant Referees: Richard West & Edward Smart
    Fourth Official: Andre Marriner
    VAR: Mike Jones
    AVAR: Adam Nunn

Match To Be Broadcast Live On BBC 1 & BBC 1HD

Or Listen To Full Match Commentary On

BBC Radio Norfolk 95.1 / 104.4FM 855kHz & DAB Digital Radio

With Chris Goreham

.... And Don't Forget To Stay Tuned Post Match For Canary Call With Rob Butler

3rd Round Tie

Norwich City 0 – 0 Chelsea
    FT
    HT 0 – 0

Attendance: 23,598

YELLOW CARDS
    Hanley (Norwich)
    Tettey (Norwich

David Luiz (Chelsea)
    Cahill (Chelsea)

-----------------------------

Date: Saturday 6th January 2018
    Venue: Carrow Road
    Kick-Off: 05:30PM

Referee: Stuart Atwell
    Assistant Referees: Simon Beck & Constantine Hatzidakis
    Fourth Official: Dean Whitestone

KIO’s not606 Match Preview

Saturday sees Norwich City welcome reigning Premier League Champions Chelsea to Carrow Road in the 3rd Round of this season’s Emirates FA Cup. Albeit a tall order the Canaries will be looking to end a miserable run in the tournament having not won a single tie for five years. Their last win in the competition was in fact five years ago against Peterborough United in a 3rd Round tie at London Road. City saw off the Posh with goals from Elliott Bennett, Simeon Jackson and Robert Snodgrass. A certain Harry Kane was in the travelling City squad that day, a mere youngster at the time who was plagued by injury during his loan spell with the Canaries. From what little playing time he was given in East Anglia, there was little or no indication that he would go on to become the prolific top level striker that he is now.

Elliott Bennett celebrates scoring the opening goal in City's 3-0 win at London Road

Norwich head Coach Daniel Farke will no doubt make changes once again to his starting eleven for this one, but considering the opposition one would still expect the German to put out a fairly strong side. A difficult task lies ahead for City as they take on last year’s finalists but this is however the FA Cup, a one-off match up where anything could happen on the day. A disputed penalty or sending-off, a cruel injury or uncharacteristic mistake could swing the pendulum and who knows it could be the Canaries that are singing come the final whistle.

The Gunners celebrate the FA Cup final win over Chelsea at Wembley Stadium in 2017

Antonio Conte with an abundance of talent in his squad will in all probability shuffle his pack considerably although the side that takes to the field tomorrow evening is certain to include many internationals. David Luiz could make a return to the Blues defence after recovering from a knee injury sustained in November.

David Luiz could feature

Manchester City are now almost nailed on certainties to take the Premier League Title from the West Londoners, but the Blues are still in with a shout of securing the other domestic silverware on offer as well as the European Champions League Title. They will take on their fierce rivals Arsenal in an EFL Cup semi-final next week, then Barcelona next month in the Round of 16 of Europe’s most prestigious club competition.

Sheffield United 2 Norwich City 3 FA Cup 6th Round Replay 1959

Norwich have never managed reach the final of the FA Cup although they have progressed to the semi-finals on three occasions most notably in 1958-59, where as a 3rd Division side they were eventually knocked out by 1st Division Luton Town. Although other 3rd tier sides have managed to progress to the last four none have matched City’s feat of taking the tie to a replay.

Chelsea 2 Leeds United 1 FA Cup Final Replay 1970
    Not for the faint hearted !

By contrast the visitors to Carrow Road tomorrow have won the competition 7 times which includes a Premier League and Cup double in 2009-10.

BBC Sport Match Preview Here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42519706

• Norwich have been eliminated in all four previous FA Cup ties against Chelsea, most recently in the fifth round in 2006-07.
    • Chelsea have progressed from 20 of their last 21 FA Cup ties against non-Premier League sides, with the exception their 4-2 defeat to Bradford in January 2015.
    • Steven Naismith has scored six goals in his last six matches against Chelsea in all competitions, including a hat-trick last time out in the Premier League in September 2015.
    • Chelsea are unbeaten in 13 matches against Norwich in all competitions since a 3-0 defeat in December 1994 under Glenn Hoddle.
    • In domestic cup competitions for Chelsea against non-Premier League opponents, Michy Batshuayi has had a hand in nine goals in four matches (seven goals, two assists), averaging a goal or assist every 40 minutes.

BT Sport Match Preview Here:
    http://sport.bt.com/football/norwic...-or-watch-on-tv-with-bt-sport-S11364240635565
    Daniel Farke’s Match Preview

Daniel Farke previews tomorrow's game

"It's a tough draw but we are looking forward to this game."

"One day, you can have a special day and create something extraordinary. That's what we're trying to do."

"Each and every game is a big challenge and we will try to get the best result possible. We were brilliant in the Carabao Cup against Arsenal."

"I'm a deep believer in cup competitions. I want to win each and every game."

"If you wanted to lose, you could stand on the sidelines and not play at all."

"It's no secret Manchester City will win the Premier League, that means the FA Cup has a high importance for Chelsea. They are 100 per cent favourites for this game."

"They will be there with a strong squad. If they don't have Eden Hazard, they have Willian or Pedro."

"If you stick together and are brave, and give everything on the pitch, you can do something extraordinary. I like being the underdog."

Antonio Conte’s Match Preview

Antonio Conte gives his thoughts

“When you play every three days, especially after the Christmas period, you have to make many rotations,”

“My idea is to continue like in the past because I trust and believe in my players but, for sure, we want to try to go through to the next round.”

Current Form (Last 6 Competitive Fixtures – Most Recent First)

Norwich City

WDWLLW

01/01/2018 Sky Bet Championship

2 - 1 v Millwall (h)

30/12/2017 Sky Bet Championship

0 - 0 v Burton Albion (a)

26/12/2017 Sky Bet Championship

2 - 0 v Birmingham City (a)

22/12/2017 Sky Bet Championship

1 - 2 v Brentford (h)

16/12/2017 Sky Bet Championship

0 - 1 v Leeds United (a)

09/12/2017 Sky Bet Championship

3 - 1 v Sheffield Wednesday (h)

Chelsea

WWDWWW

30/12/2017 Premier League

5 - 0 v Stoke City (h)

26/12/2017 Premier League

2 - 0 v Brighton & Hove Albion (h)

23/12/2017 Premier League

0 - 0 v Everton (a)

20/12/2017 Carabao Cup Quarter-Final

2 - 1 v AFC Bournemouth (h)

16/12/2017 Premier League

1 - 0 v Southampton (h)

12/12/2017 Premier League

3 - 1 v Huddersfield Town (a)

Match History

Saturday’s game will be the 53rd competitive fixture between the two clubs with the Blues having the upper hand

with 21 wins to City’s 14, there have been 17 drawn games.

League Games (40)

Norwich Wins: 12

Chelsea Wins: 16

Draws: 12

FA Cup Ties (6)

Norwich Wins: 0

Chelsea Wins: 4

Draws: 2

Football League Cup Ties (3)

Norwich Wins: 2

Chelsea Wins: 1

Draws: 0

Anglo-Scottish Cup Ties (3)

Norwich Wins: 0

Chelsea Wins: 0

Draws: 3

The Clubs first met on 11th January 1936 in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup at Carrow Road with the match finishing in a 1-1 stalemate, the Blues went on to win the replay 3-1 at Stamford Bridge 4 days later.

The Blues and the Canaries didn’t face each other in a League fixture until 17th November 1962 where in a Division Two match up at Stamford Bridge Chelsea defeated City by 2 goals to nil.

The same season in the reverse fixture on 6th April 1963 at Carrow Road Norwich recorded their best victory over Chelsea to date with a 4-1 win.

On the 28th October 1978 at Stamford Bridge in League Division One 6 goals were shared in a 3-3 draw, this remains the highest aggregate score between the two sides.

Chelsea’s highest winning margin against Norwich is 4-0 a feat which they have achieved on three occasions.

The first was on 16th January 2002 in a 3rd Round FA Cup Replay at Stamford Bridge after the sides had played out a 0-0 draw at Carrow Road 11 days earlier.

The second came in a Premier League fixture in West London on 18th December 2004 and the third on 17th February 2007 again at the home of the Blues in the 5th Round of the FA Cup.

One of the most memorable games between City and Chelsea was on 20th December 1972 at Carrow Road in a Football League Cup semi-final 2nd leg tie.

Steve Govier (right of the jumping pair) heads the goal that gave the Canaries
    (image PinkUn.com)

There were only six minutes remaining when a dense fog descended over the Ground, the Canaries were leading 3-2 (5-2 on aggregate) but Referee Gordon Hill decided play could not continue and abandoned the match as neither the players nor the crowd could see the ball. The scoreline was declared null and void and it seemed that fate had dealt the Canaries fans a cruel blow, they would be denied their place in the Final and their first trip to Wembley Stadium.

The tie was eventually replayed on the 3rd January 1973 and once again City were starting without their Skipper and talisman Duncan Forbes who had suffered a punctured lung in the 3-0 victory over Arsenal at Highbury in the previous round. It was left to 20 year old reserve Steve Govier to mark Chelsea marksman Peter Osgood for what eventually turned out to be three matches.

In the 51st minute of this replayed tie City were awarded a corner at the River End.

Chelsea's Peter Osgood shown here with George Best of Manchester United

Osgood tracked back with Govier but in a packed penalty area the young City defender rose above his marker to head home what proved to be the winner and the Canaries progressed to the Final 3-0 on aggregate.

In the Final the Canaries were beaten 1-0 by Tottenham Hotspur at Wembley with substitute Ralph Coates netting the winner. Govier had lost his place to the returning Forbes and City fans will never know whether the result would have been different had Govier retained his place at the heart of the Norwich defence.

Highest Norwich City Score

Norwich City 4 Chelsea 1

Highest Chelsea Score

Chelsea 4 Norwich City 0

Highest Aggregate (6)

Chelsea 3 Norwich City 3

Club Connections

Those to have turned out for both the Canaries and the Blues include:

Patrick Bamford (Norwich loan), Ryan Bertrand (Norwich loan), Robert Fleck, Scott Parker (Norwich loan), David Rocastle (Norwich loan), Jimmy Smith (Norwich loan), Chris Sutton and Andy Townsend.

Robert Fleck a hero at City but much maligned at Chelsea battles with Chris Hughton of Tottenham

Ex Norwich winger Jacob Murphy spent a short spell at Chelsea as a youngster as did former City midfielder Andrew Crofts.

Jim Duffy who was Assistant to Manager Peter Grant at Carrow Road also coached at Chelsea.

The world’s one time most expensive defender Rio Ferdinand had trials as a youngster with both Chelsea and Norwich.

Did You Know ?

· Chelsea (jointly with Arsenal) were the first clubs to play with numbered shirts - on 25 August 1928 in their match against Welsh side Swansea City.

· Chelsea's highest appearance-maker is Ron Harris, who played in 795 first-class games for the club between 1961 and 1980.

· With 86 caps, Frank Lampard is Chelsea's most capped international player.

· Frank Lampard is Chelsea's all-time top goal scorer, with 211 goals in 648 games (2001-14).

· Chelsea hold the record for the highest ever points total for a league season (95) and the fewest goals
    conceded during a league season (15) - under the management of Jose Mourhino in 2004/05.

· Chelsea became the first British side to field an entirely foreign starting line-up in a Premier League match - against Southampton in December 1999.

· The club's 21–0 victory over Jeunesse Hautcharage in the UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup in 1971 remains a record in European competition.

· On 19 May 2007, they became the first team to win the FA Cup at the new Wembley Stadium.

· Chelsea hold the record for the longest streak of unbeaten matches at home in the English top-flight, which lasted 86 matches from 20 March 2004 to 26 October 2008.

· Chelsea hold the record for the highest home attendance match - against Arsenal with an attendance of 82,905 on the 2 October 1935.

· Chelsea's mascot is a lion taken from their club logos and named Stamford The Lion. In July 2005 the costume was stolen from Stamford Bridge.

Trivia courtesy of www.hitc.com

TEAM LINE UPS

Match to be Broadcast ‘Live’

Watch Highlights In 360 Deg VR Post Match
    With The BT Sport App

Listen to full match commentary on BBC Radio Norfolk
    95.1 / 104.4FM, 855kHz & DAB Digital Radio

With Chris Goreham

And Special Guest Match Summariser
    Russell Martin

….. and don’t forget to tune into #CanaryCall post match
    With Russell and Rob Butler

OTBC

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  2. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Glad you kept it brief <whistle>

Great Post KIO, welcome home <cheers>

KIO and DUNCAN DONUTS like this.
  3. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Do you have an audio book option?

Amazing thread and I'm going tomorrow. <cheers>

KIO likes this.
  4. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

I just hope that I haven’t trodden on anyone’s toes by coming out of retirement and posting this thread that’s all ?

OTBC

5. canary-dave

I would love it if you carried on all season, maybe check out Dunc's efforts to raise your efforts up to his level <laugh>

KIO and DUNCAN DONUTS like this.
  6. DUNCAN DONUTS

I didn't want to say anything, but he had a good go at it I'll give him that .:emoticon-0136-giggl

canary-dave likes this.
  7. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Good to see you 'taking up the baton' again KIO. I can only say 'Welcome Back!!'
    I've voted for a Canaries victory - I'll wake up soon!!!

KIO likes this.
  8. DUNCAN DONUTS

giphy.gif
    Taking up the baton?

<yikes>

KIO likes this.
  9. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

YES!! Welcome back KIO!!

Fantastic thread! And only for a cup game! Well played bud!

10. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Well on paper we should get thumped today but you never know, stranger things have happened...........

........... I think? <laugh>

11. The Ginger Marks

Great Matchday thread fella<ok> Will be sure to look in as the action unfolds. Good luck!

Ps. Frank Lampard is Chelsea’s all time top goal scorer with 211 goals. <cheers>

DUNCAN DONUTS and KIO like this.
  12. chinacanary

chinacanary Well-Known Member

cracking thread! Thanks KIO

13. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

My apologies, didn't spot that, edit made <ok>

The Ginger Marks likes this.
  14. The Ginger Marks

Don’t worry it’s a well crafted thread with lots of info on both teams. I enjoyed reading it, I was just being a tad flippant. <whistle>

KIO likes this.
  15. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

One advantage of kicking off late today - at least
    we'll know which teams we won't have to face in round 4 <ok> <whistle>

JM Fan likes this.
  16. canary-dave

We already know one. We won't have to face Chelsea.

17. DUNCAN DONUTS

Any of you sadists going today ?
    If we play anywhere near as well as Arsenal away I will be happy.
    I'm going it was only £16 .
    Should be sold out

18. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Yes, this sadist/saddo is going!!! <laugh>
    I guess because it's a late kick-off and on BT Sport it won't be sold out and the club has decided that you must have bought tickets previously/be a member to buy tickets.
    Around 22k going apparently.

Edit - I've just seen that the odds of Chelsea winning 3-0 is ONLY 11-1!!! <yikes>

19. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Let's hope Naismith gets one of his customary hat-tricks against Chelsea today.
    That way, we might get a few bob when we offload the waste of space (and money) <ok>

JM Fan likes this.
  20. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Slumderland losing to local rivals 'Boro already <ok> <laugh>

DUNCAN DONUTS and JM Fan like this.
: CanaryCall