1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Expiring contracts - who would you keep?

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Nuggets, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I was going to post this in the January transfer rumours thread, but I figured it would make more sense to have a separate discussion around the players who are nearing the end of their contracts this summer. With the new salary cap for League One and Two coming into effect for next season, which also limits teams to a squad of 20 'senior' players, there will be pressure to ensure we meet the new rules and resolve the futures of several first team players. Firstly, the list of players who are out of contract this summer (by position):

• Harry Wright
    • Luke Chambers
    • Toto Nsiala
    • James Wilson
    • Janoi Donacien
    • Stephen Ward
    • Cole Skuse
    • Emyr Huws
    • Teddy Bishop
    • Tristan Nydam
    • Alan Judge
    • Idris El Mizouni
    • Gwion Edwards
    • Freddie Sears
    • Aaron Drinan
    • Kayden Jackson
    • Ben Folami
    • Ben Norris
    My belief is that we can split the above list into three groups - players who are good enough for a promotion push, players who are not good enough for a promotion push, and players who could be good enough for a promotion push. I am presuming we miss out on promotion for the below list, and that this is hypothetically for a squad playing League One football next season.

Players who are good enough for a promotion push
    For me, Teddy Bishop, Kayden Jackson, and Gwion Edwards are the three stand out names from the above list. I understand we have 12-month options on both Bishop and Jackson, but not Edwards. Tying Edwards down to a long term deal should be one of the main issues to resolve this month. Although I've been a rather vocal critic of Luke Chambers over the last few years, I believe he has another year to offer (if only from a squad depth perspective). The strategy of releasing three of our four current centre-backs does not strike me a sensible and sustainable idea, despite how the squad has underachieved over the last couple of years, because I don't have faith.

Players who are not good enough for a promotion push
    From the list, I would definitely wave goodbye to Toto Nsiala, James Wilson, Janoi Donacien, Cole Skuse, Emyr Huws, and Freddie Sears. In my opinion, the first three have never been good enough and the last three are no longer good enough. Toto looks out of his depth at this level, let alone for a side aiming for promotion. Wilson does not possess the qualities we would like to see in a more adventurous, pressing side - although I take the evidence that he is a competent, safe choice and could be retained purely for the sake of squad depth. The fact Chambers is preferred to Donacien at right back highlights Donacien's inability to press a claim for a first team position. We can do better. Skuse and Huws are both too old and unreliable to keep fit over the course of a season. I'd also look to move on Tristan Nydam, who hasn't appeared to have pushed on over the last few years and could do with a new challenge.

Players who could be good enough for a promotion push
    This section is mainly for young players who deserve more of an opportunity or for senior players we probably should retain for the sake of squad depth. Firstly, I'd like to see Harry Wright, Idris El Mouzini, Aaron Drinan, Ben Folami, and Ben Morris given new contract extensions. If only because I believe that they count as academy players and arguably deserve some first-team minutes before a final decision on their future is made. That leaves us with Stephen Ward and Alan Judge. For Ward, I'm torn between giving him a one year extension and having a left back will be 36 next year against the likely scenario where we release him, not bring anybody in, and have to rely on Myles Kenlock, a player who I do not rate. Ultimately, if we are able to bring in a better left back, I'd let Ward go. If that position is not a priority for us, I'd renew for one further year. For Judge, I think the jury is out on whether he can be considered a first team regular anymore, or even if he fits into most formations. I'd retain him for a further year if only for squad depth. Of course if Ward and Judge go on to have a poor second half of the season (and they've not been particularly impressive in the first half), then they should get moved to the 'get rid' section.

What are your thoughts? Have I missed anyone or included somebody who has had their contract extended?

Southcoastoldgaffer and Redruth like this.
  2. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

That’s pretty comprehensive Nuggets and the only one I’d possibly disagree with you over is Huws.He showed potential when he arrived but never really regained that form after injury,capable of helping with a promotion push if he pulled his socks up?

Nuggets likes this.
  3. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Very difficult decisions because lets face it none of those players had done it for us consistently since they've been at the club. Edwards is the standout for me but again he hasn't been overly consistent since he's been at the club.

Its important we don't lose too many players and don't lose anymore experience as we are lacking there.

Out of those you say you'd get rid of I'd keep Sears with a view to playing him in a top 2 and I think whilst Wilson doesn't rip up any trees he is pretty dependable which in comparison to most of our CBs is a good start, he shouldn't be a certain starter but definitely a dependable backup.

I'm also not sure on Skuse, I've never been his biggest fan more because of his lack of ambition than talent but I think we miss someone with experience and a cool head in the team and for me I really think he could move back into a CB position. Alot depends on if he prove his fitness.

I would probably get rid of Judge, clearly some talent/quality there but I'd imagine he's well paid and he just doesn't do it consistently enough for me.

Alot of those academy players, especially the older ones will probably need to prove their fitness and or first team credentials before they're offered another contract. And I think you're being a little harsh with Nydam especially as he has been injured for the past 2 seasons.

Whilst I would offer Jackson a new contract, I've always said we wouldn't go up if he was our first choice, he's decent at this level and certainly someone good to bring on but don't think he's a first team striker in a promotion winning team

San Diego likes this.