1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Everton v Norwich City

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Sep 19, 2016.

?

Predict The Result

Poll closed Sep 20, 2016.
  1. Toffees Win

10 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Canaries Win

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Draw AET Toffees Win On Penalties

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Draw AET Canaries Win On Penalties

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Round 3

Everton 0 - 2 Norwich City
    FT
    HT 0 - 1
    Naismith 41' Murphy 74'
    Attendance: 29,550

Date: Tuesday 20th September 2016
    Venue: Goodison Park
    Kick-Off: 07:45PM

Referee: Andrew Madley
    Linesmen: James Wilson and Steven Meredith
    Fourth Official: Tony Harrington

KIO's not606 Match Preview

Tuesday sees Norwich City travel to Goodison Park to take on Ronald Koeman’s high flying Everton side in Round 3 of this season’s EFL Cup competition. The Toffees are in fine form having won their last four Premier League fixtures and currently occupy 2nd spot in the table, two points behind early season pacesetters Manchester City.
    An impressive performance last time out saw the Merseysiders put newly promoted Middlesbrough to the sword as they strolled to a 3-1 victory at Goodison Park. Maarten Stekelenburg had opened the scoring for the visitors when he put the ball into his own net, before Gareth Barry making his 600th Premier League appearance equalised for Everton. From then on the home side took control with further first half goals from Seamus Coleman and Romelu Lukaku settling proceedings.

Gareth Barry making his 600th Premier League appearance was on target for the Toffees

The Canaries also sit in second place in their respective division after an excellent performance at the City Ground against Nottingham Forest on Saturday. Apostolos Vellios had put Forest ahead after City playmaker Wes Hoolahan had won and then subsequently seen his penalty kick saved by Vladimir Stojkovic, the scoreline remained 1-0 to the home side until after the break. On 52 minutes Johnny Howson netted for City and from then on in the Canaries were always the better side, Graham Dorrans rifling home a deserved winner from 20 yards as the game entered the final quarter.

Graham Dorrans celebrates his 20 yard winner for the Canaries

Both sides are certain to make several changes for this Cup tie so although on paper Everton are surely favourites, the final outcome will be hard to predict until the team line ups are confirmed. For their part Norwich should give a debut to summer signing Nelson Oliveira, with Sergi Canos and Steven Naismith also likely to start. One would have hoped that Naismith, who has recently been dropped from the starting eleven by Canaries boss Alex Neil, will be keen to impress against his former employers thus forcing a way back into the manager’s long term plans.

Ronald Koeman's Match Preview

Ronald Koeman previews tomorrow match

"Romelu [Lukaku] is not available, only he from the weekend is not fit and not available for tomorrow. He will rest his toe for two days and then normally, after two days, he can do normal training and [hopefully] he is available for the weekend.”
    “Enner Valencia will start tomorrow. Darron had a groin operation and he will be out the normal time - the same as James McCarthy around three weeks.”
    "We take it [the EFL Cup] seriously. We will make some changes but all the players who will start tomorrow are players training hard to get a chance to get an opportunity to play and we will start with a strong team."

Alex Neil's Match Preview

Alex Neil gives his thoughts
    "Obviously we want to do well in the cup and win every game we play in, but our priority is the league.”

"A lot of the time in the Championship we have three games in a week. It's like that next week for us so that's our priority.”

"The teams that we've put out in other rounds in other competitions have been really strong though, and we've got some really strong results.”

"Whether we're playing Stockport or whether we're playing Man Utd, it still gives them an opportunity to show what they can do."

On Everton:

"I'm not sure the fresh money has made the difference because they had a really strong squad to start with."

"Roberto (Martinez) had them finishing really high in his first season there, but then it ended in a bit of disappointment for him and for them.”

"Ronald (Koeman) going in there has given them a bit of impetus, and they've responded well to him.”

"They have added to their squad, they've spent some money, but they've got a Premier League squad and they've started the season really well. It will be a good test for us."

Current Form (most recent first)

Everton

[W] 3 – 1 v Middlesbrough (h)
    [W] 0 – 3 v Sunderland (a)
    [W] 1 – 0 v Stoke City (h)
    [W] 4 – 0 v Yeovil Town (h)
    [W] 1 – 2 v West Bromwich Albion (a)
    [D] 1 – 1 v Tottenham Hotspur (h)

Norwich City

[W] 1 – 2 v Nottingham Forest (a)
    [W] 2 – 1 v Wigan Athletic (h)
    [W] 3 – 2 v Cardiff City (h)
    [L] 0 – 3 v Birmingham City (a)
    [W] 6 – 1 v Coventry City (h)
    [D] 1 – 1 v Ipswich Town

EVERTON HOME

Everton have won 40%, drawn 25% and lost 35% of their last 20 home games.

Everton have kept a clean sheet in 4 of their last 20 home games, going on to win 4 and draw 0 of these matches.

Everton have failed to score in 3 of their last 20 home games, going on to draw 0 and lose 3 of these matches.

NORWICH AWAY

Norwich have won 20%, drawn 10% and lost 70% of their last 20 away games.

Norwich have kept a clean sheet in 1 of their last 20 away games, going on to win 1 and draw 0 of these matches.

Norwich have failed to score in 11 of their last 20 away games, going on to draw 0 and lose 11 of these matches.

MATCH STATISTICS www.kick-off.co.uk

EVERTON - FOOTBALL LEAGUE CUP RECORD

1961 Quarter-Finalists
    1977 Runners Up
    1978 Quarter-Finalists
    1984 Runners Up (Milk Cup)
    1987 Quarter-Finalists (Littlewoods Challenge Cup)
    1988 Semi-Finalists (Littlewoods Challenge Cup)
    2008 Semi-Finalists (Carling Cup)

NORWICH – FOOTBALL LEAGUE CUP RECORD

1962 Winners
    1963 Quarter-Finalists
    1964 Quarter-Finalists
    1972 Quarter-Finalists
    1973 Runners Up
    1974 Semi-Finalists
    1975 Runners Up
    1980 Quarter-Finalists
    1984 Quarter-Finalists (Milk Cup)

1985 Winners (Milk Cup)
    1992 Quarter-Finalists (Rumbelows Cup)
    1995 Quarter-Finalists (Coca-Cola Cup)
    1996 Quarter-Finalists (Coca-Cola Cup)
    2013 Quarter-Finalists (Capital One Cup)

City players celebrate their Wembley victory over Sunderland in 1985
    HEAD TO HEAD

Tuesday’s game will be the 59th meeting between the two sides in all competitions and the fourth time they have met in the League Cup.

City won a 3rd Round League Cup tie 1-0 at Goodison Park on 30th October 1973, while Everton were 4-1 winners at Carrow Road on 19th November 1986 in the 4th round. In last year's competition on 27th October 2015 the Toffees won 4-3 on Penalties at Goodison Park in a 4th Round tie the match having finished 1-1 after extra time.

Overall, Everton have won 24 of the 58 games played, Norwich have won 16 and there have been 18 draws.

The Canaries played the Toffees for the first time on 12th August 1972 at Carrow Road, it was City’s first ever game in the top flight.

Norwich’s biggest win against Everton was on 25th September 1993 in a Premier League fixture at Goodison Park where they thrashed the hosts by 5 goals to 1, Efan Ekoku netting 4 times for Mike Walker’s side.

Efan Ekoku nets 4 times for the Canaries at Goodison Park in 1993

Everton’s best win was a 5-0 mauling of the Canaries in a 5th Round FA Cup tie also at Goodison Park on 18thFebruary 1995.

The highest aggregate score between the two was a 4-3 victory for City in League Division One (top tier) on 21stMarch 1992 at Carrow Road.

Significant Past Encounters

City played their first ever top flight game against Everton at Carrow Road. The match finished in a 1-1 draw, fans favourite Jimmy Bone opened the scoring for Norwich before Joe Royle salvaged a draw for the toffees.

Jimmy Bone scored City's first ever goal
    in the top flight against Everton in 1972

Everton beat City 1-0 in an FA Cup semi-final, however this fixture was overshadowed by the dreadful events that were unfolding in the other semi-final at Hillsborough. Had City won this tie, it is often argued as to whether the final would have ever taken place. The fact that the two Liverpool giants had reached the final was probably the deciding factor, as it enabled the whole of Merseyside to come together to grieve.

City players leave the field after their FA Cup semi-final defeat at Villa Park in 1989
    From the left Robert Rosario, Ian Crook, Trevor Putney and Bryan Gunn (hidden)

Efan Ekoku scores four times in a Premier League match for City as they thrash Everton 5-1 at Goodison Park.

Highest Everton score

Everton 5 Norwich City 0

Highest Norwich City score

Everton 1 Norwich City 5

Highest Aggregate

Norwich City 4 Everton 3

Controversial

Everton had already been crowned Division 1 Champions when they took to the field to play their final game of the season against relegation threatened Coventry City, if Coventry won they would survive and send Norwich down to the second tier. Everton fielded an understrength side and were convincingly beaten, a situation that would never be allowed today. Norwich were relegated and became the first ever side to win a Wembley Cup Final and be relegated in the same season.

Mike Walker one of the Canaries greatest ever managers, who led the Canaries to a 3rd place finish in the Premier League's inaugural season, leaves to take the reigns at the Toffees after a fallout with City's much maligned Chairman Robert Chase.

Mike Walker who was eventually sacked by Everton
    Club Connections

Those to have turned out for both the Canaries and the Toffees include:

Neil Adams, Tony Cottee, Willie Donachie, Mark Farrington, Asa Hartford, Ross Jack, Matt Jackson, Gary Megson, Mike Milligan, Steven Naismith, Carlo Nash, Joe Royle, John Ruddy, Graham Stuart, James Vaughan, Dave Watson and Joseph Yobo (Norwich loan).

Matt Jackson in his Everton playing days

Did you know ?

Liverpool celebrate their Screen Sport Super Cup win in 1986, Oh the irony

City and Everton played each other in the group stages of the Football League Super Cup in 1985 with both ties finishing 1-0 to the home sides. English clubs had been banned from Europe because of the Heysel Stadium disaster involving hooligan fans from Liverpool, so the competition was set up for those that had qualified for European football but couldn’t take part. In truth it was a bad idea and generated little interest from either the clubs or the fans and lasted only one season. Liverpool were to win the trophy by beating Everton 7-2 in a two-legged final.

TEAM LINE UPS:

Listen to full match commentary on BBC Radio Norfolk

95.1 / 95.6 / 104.4FM, 855 / 873 kHz AM & DAB Digital Radio
    With Chris Goreham

.....and Guest Match Summariser,
    Canaries Goalkeeping legend Bryan Gunn

Tune in to ‘Canary Call’ post match
    with Bryan and Rob Butler

OT
    C

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  2. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Bloody Hell Rich, that's amazing! Well done! <cheers>

3. wi-exile

wi-exile Active Member

Super job again KIO. I really look forward to the match threads you do, as being out of the country I look for any news and scraps about City that I can get. I did notice one small mistake, you had us losing 0-0 to Birmingham in the current form table. Other than that please keep up the good work.

4. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Oops, typo now sorted

wi-exile likes this.
  5. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

I've put a bit more effort into this one as I won't have anything to write about Saturday, we've never played Burton Albion before !

Now going to cast my vote in the poll and I'm going for same as last time, draw aet then bloody Everton winning on pens :emoticon-0120-doh:

6. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Great effort KIO and I've got a good feeling about this one, so will go for an away win!!!!

7. woodbine

woodbine Well-Known Member

Probably will come as no surprise that Lukaku won't be part of Everton's team tomorrow, good for us though. But still not confident about this game.

8. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

I'm expecting a heavy loss.

9. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Nice one KIO!

I really like the added extra of the pole at the start! :emoticon-0148-yes:

10. Russ Martin 2

Russ Martin 2 Active Member

I'm expecting Everton to win but I agree with Alex when he says that the league is the priority. Everton do take these competitions seriously and also have a very strong squad so a win would be a huge ask. Hopefully we rest our key players and use the opportunity to give match time to players who need it and give some of the youngsters some first team action. We really have nothing to lose so I hope to see us play without fear and give Everton a real go.

I'd like to see Lafferty, Oliviera, Josh, and Brady involved amongst others with Pinto, Klose, Olsson, Howson, Dorrans, Cam Jam, Jacob and Wes rested ahead of our next league game.

OTBC

JM Fan likes this.

11. Bath-Canary

Bath-Canary Well-Known Member

The league is the priority and frankly even if it wasn't anything we get here would be a bonus. They've had an excellent start to the season.

Still the reason we enjoy watching it that its unpredictable.

12. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

Looking at Everton's impressive start to their league campaign they'll be thinking that Champions League qualification should be their main target. However, they have a strong showing traditionally in the League Cup and so I think they'll put out a reasonably strong team.

Some of our fringe players and bench warmers need a good competitive work-out so I am hoping we too field a strong line-up but also rest some of the key players for Saturday's game.

13. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

14. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Actually that's not true OCF for a club their size they have a wretched record in this competion (see the Op ;))

They have only made the final on two occasions and have lost both times, their last appearance in the final was 1984 !

As you can see even our record in this competition is far better than theirs, although admittedly they didn't always bother to enter in the 60s <ok>

Gambia Canary likes this.
  15. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

Cheers KIO #Italkcrapgrabscoatandexits

DUNCAN DONUTS and KIO like this.
  16. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Is it just me, or is an away game versus Everton just our standard cup fixture? I swear we seem to draw them nearly every other season.

17. ilovedelia

ilovedelia Well-Known Member

Drew them last year, I was there and we played really well to a strong Everton team. Lost on pens.

18. Norfolkbhoy

Norfolkbhoy Well-Known Member

Would be delighted to see our entire back five not travel up to the land of the bin-dippers. I'd also like to see Wes/Howson and Jerome given the night off as well.

I have fairly low expectations tonight and would just like to get through the evening without any more injuries. However it is an opportunity for Basil/Pritchard/Canos/Naismith/Ruddy and others to pressure the rest of the squad for place this weekend

Gambia Canary and JM Fan like this.
  19. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Feed2all is showing a link to Everton v Norwich tonight. I've been getting 'malicious link detected' flag up if I try and follow a stream on there lately? VIP box suggests there'll be a stream, too? :emoticon-0112-wonde

20. Bath-Canary

Bath-Canary Well-Known Member

It's on tv in the states so there should be a stream.