1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

European Nations League

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by ForestHillBilly, Oct 11, 2017.

1. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Does anyone understand what this new tournament is about? I've watched the explanatory video and am none the wiser.

2. ForestHillBilly

If I understand it correctly, we have an additional international tournament to be run every 2 years as well as the Euros and the World Cup. This will mean many more international breaks at a time when most fans, and clubs want less. Feeling thrilled?

3. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

I’m intrigued by it, but it all depends on how seriously the players see it.

Guaranteeing one of the below teams a place in euro 2020 doesn’t get the concept off to a great start IMO.

Azerbaijan, Macedonia, Belarus, Georgia, Armenia, Latvia, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Liechtenstein, Malta, Andorra, Kosovo, San Marino, Gibraltar

4. ForestHillBilly

The whole thing seems too artificial, like the Europa League. I can't foresee a packed Wembley for this one, even despite the top-class opposition, and the lower league games will be played in empty grounds.

lardiman likes this.
  5. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

The teams above are not worth a bucket of spit. Let them play in their own tournament - call it the “Micky Mouse Banana Republics Roll On Brexit” League.

6. User deleted as requested

Hold on <laugh> -is this thread a wind up to get me going <laugh>

7. ForestHillBilly

Similar to what I thought when I read about it, but sadly no, not a wind-up.:emoticon-0149-no:

8. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

It hopefully eradicates the nonsense of playing sides like Malta at home, and gives teams more competitive fixtures against top class sides.

International football in Europe needs a shot in the arm. Big time. Will it be this that saves it? I’m doubtful, but at least they are addressing the issue.

9. lardiman

lardiman Keep smiling through
    Forum Moderator

If it means more matches against some of the best teams in Europe then that's a good thing.

England will never learn anything beating Moldova or Lithuania. We need to test ourselves against France or Spain, Belgium, Holland, Italy - teams like that.
    And in some other fashion than completely meaningless one-off friendlies.
    If we are beaten then we learn, and improve for next time.

10. ForestHillBilly

How will it stop England playing Moldova in the W/C or the Euro's? This competition does not replace the Euro's, it runs in addition to them, except that it takes place every 2 years. I'm quite confused by the explanation on how it will operate when it comes to qualifying for Euro 2020, which will not start until March 2019, but it seems to add an extra series of internationals to be played. I guess it's all about having the top teams playing each other more often in order to milk the TV money, but I'm not sure the fans will be too excited especially, if expected, the prices for Wembley get jacked up.

11. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

I’m still trying to get my head around everything, but 4 places for the euros are seemingly given to this competition. I guess of those 4 teams that they no longer have to go through the qualifiers?

Would that give teams that competitive edge that they will be seeking?

12. ForestHillBilly

As I read it, those 4 teams who qualify via the Nations League still have to play in the Euro qualifiers. If they win their group their place goes to the next best ranked team in their group. Doesn't say what happens if they finish last. I'm hoping that I'm mis-reading it because if not it looks completely barmy.

13. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Cheers mate. That doesn’t give up much of an incentive in that case.

The next best solution would be to try and get the reserves/Yoof up to speed with international football, but that’s no use if every nation follows the same blueprint.

14. User deleted as requested

I read up on this new idea this morning. In all honesty, it feels like giving CPR to a patient that is already dead.

ForestHillBilly likes this.
  15. ForestHillBilly

I just read up about it yesterday, when it was announced that Wales have dropped out of the top tier. You would expect a brand new competition to be announced with a fanfare and pages of spin, but it appears they've slipped this one in quietly by the back door, hoping no-one will notice until it's upon us. Has anybody heard of it before yesterday?

16. User deleted as requested

Smacks of shuffling the deckchairs on the Titanic. International football needs euthanising - the Champions League has killed it.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    ForestHillBilly likes this.
  17. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

18. ForestHillBilly