1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Euro 2020 - london, glasgow and dublin

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by finglasqpr, Sep 19, 2014.

1. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

Good news that cities in these islands have been awarded games at this tournament. Wembley will host both semi finals and the final.

Glasgow and Dublin will host 4 games each. 3 group games and a last 16 game.

Think I prefer this format of choosing host cities rather than one or two countries hosting the whole tournament.

If Ireland manage to qualify, (big if at the moment),they will play at least two games at home.

2. Shawswood

Shawswood Well-Known Member

So what way does it work Finglas, Englsnd automatically qualify as hosts and the lesser nations have to scrap their way to hopefully qualify? Be a bit of an anticlimax to say the least if the Republic and Scotland don't qualify....

3. finglasqpr

Lesser nations? The cheek.

Not sure how it works in terms of qualification. I would guess that all nations would have to qualify.

I wouldn't expect Ireland to qualify but even if they don't the atmosphere here in Dublin should be good.

4. QPR247

QPR247 Active Member

Everyone has to qualify. What makes it a little more difficult for England is that they could, in theory, play Ireland away, Germany away and 3rd game at a neutral venue making getting out of the group even harder they we normally find it!!

If we do get through the groups we could then have genuine away games in the last 16 and quarter-finals.......but at least the FA will make fair chunk of change.

5. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I think that spreading the games across Europe is a fabulous idea. They should retain this format and rotate the final at the best stadiums and cities every four years. I'm surprised that the Millenium in Cardiff wasn't chosen as a venue though.

6. finglasqpr

7. Queenslander!!

Queenslander!! Well-Known Member

I have no idea whats going on here!!

Have we got the olympics or World Cup or what/.....?

EDIT..ok..looking at the thread title..the European championship then?

8. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

So, international teams could potentially have to travel the width of Europe from one game to the next...? Seems like a overly complicated way of doing it when there are a few countries in Europe with enough decent stadiums to host the whole tournament. Looking at this, what is wrong with France?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29251585

9. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

Are they hosting 2016