1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Eric Black, the Scottish Albatross.

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ----HistoryRepeating----, Apr 15, 2019.

1. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Anyone else been wondering where this guy disappeared to? Nah, me neither, but I came across an interesting interview. I never liked the appointment, and it always seemed to me he was brought in to bridge the language barrier. For me, he had never earned the chance for the roll he was given, and he didn't appreciate it. Reading some of his quotes, I'd say that it now seems pretty accurate.

"At Southampton I was watching the opposition and doing all the meetings involving that side of it but I wasn’t really involved. I just felt I was losing that enthusiasm you need and wasn’t doing myself or anybody else justice. I was involved in tactical decisions and implementing then, but it’s modern football now that things are being done differently. I’m sure a million people would give their right arm to be the assistant manager at Southampton, but I wasn’t really doing anything.
    When we then played at Man City and lost 2-1 in the 96th minute, and I didn’t feel the pain that the players were feeling. I just didn’t. They were all completely shattered. And I was almost just looking for a chicken sandwich to take on the road with me.”

So, maybe he had issues with the position he was given, and the people he was working with. But it takes more courage to stand up and say something that to continue and be a fraud.

2. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

Is that not what he did in the end when he resigned for `personal reasons`.

3. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

What was Les Reed up to?
    This confirms what a shambles post Ronald era was/is
    Maybe Gao’s management restructure is much needed

4. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I can sympathise with him...he felt that he was going through the motions, but wasn't truly involved. He was in the strange position of being left over from a previous regime. Sounds like a borderline mental issue...best to get out in that situation, but like everyone else he probably had to consider the financial side of things. In the end, better to be happy.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  5. fran-MLs little camera

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/foot...on-why-he-walked-away-from-football-1-4906849
    A bit more of the same interview. Sounds like he took a brave decision to walk away when he still had 2 years on his contract for the sake of his sanity. To read some of the comments on Saintsweb when he was here you would think he was the devil incarnate and solely responsible for Saints' woes (never understood that as he wasn't anywhere close to being in charge). Shows the truth of the saying...to understand someone you have to walk a mile in their shoes.

AberdeenSaint likes this.
  6. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

If Eric Black was the albatross, who was the Ancient Mariner?

Saints_Alive likes this.
  7. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

Unless they're wearing crocs, then sod that

8. ----HistoryRepeating----

What, the hiding behind a back injury excuse? I thought he had more to do with the speculation that he offered advice on giving bribes to officials at other clubs to a company that wanted to represent footballers. An internal investigation was launched by the club, but the newspaper reporting it were unwilling to cooperate with SFC. I find it hard to hide my contempt for this guy. Claude Puel must have wondered what he had gotten himself into when he joined.

9. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Was Godders a Naval man?...:emoticon-0112-wonde

Archers Road likes this.
  10. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Well he talks ship a lot. Or something like that.

fatletiss, Libby, StJabbo and 4 others like this.

11. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

More of leg man I heard

Archers Road and Saints_Alive like this.
  12. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

Bloody hell. Things are going so well, we have drag up history so we can have a moan?

13. ----HistoryRepeating----

Eric started it, he crawled out from the rock and gave an interview that got my back up.
    Anyway, didn't you wonder at the time of his appointment what was going on? Did you not question why Claude had this pretender forced on his backroom team? Were you not curious to find out what hastened his departure? Hmm

mowgli likes this.
  14. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Claude and Eric Black knew each other from beforehand ... I dotn for one minute think he was forced on Claude.

15. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

Not really. Not sure I could name all of Ralph's assistants to be honest. I could see why they appointed Claude and I wanted it to work for him. I think his recent analysis about image is spot on. Something Ralph has in spades. Something Claude and Eric lacked. I can see why Eric got your back up though. When things arent too good at SMS I still think back to some of the darker days when things were worse (Branfoot/Souness/Merrington era)

Archers Road likes this.
  16. fran-MLs little camera

It was stated a long time ago that Saints don't believe in changing too many staff when a new manager comes in...for the sake of continuity. Otherwise it's all change when one person changes.

17. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Except when Koeman left, we got rid of everyone (except Dave Watson!).

18. ----HistoryRepeating----

It was stated a long time ago that Saints don't believe in changing too many staff when a new manager comes in...for the sake of continuity.
    ---------------------------------------------

That's not right. Didn't we screw over Puel by not paying for the release of his team, with Nice playing hard ball. Then we went off a patched something together inc EB.
    Obviously Ralph was in a strong position, because we made sure Danny Rohl was added without any drama.................thank goodness! (or maybe it was because Les Reed wasn't here to cheap out & screw up the deal)