1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

england women's football and the cult of diversity

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by x, Feb 25, 2021.

1. x

x Well-Known Member

apologies for the topic but i'm missing something here.

i was reading an article on the bbc website from a few days back (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56124688) entitled
    Why are there so few BAME players in English women's football?
    and it explains how the england women's team has a smaller pool of bame players to choose from.and compares the number of such players in the england women's and men's team of 2019 (small) and 2018 (large). raheem stirling is mentioned as claiming that a third of all premier league players are black. despite this proportion, it is mentioned that in the wsl the proportion of bame players is between 10 and 15%. baroness sue campbell, the fa's director of women's football. is quoted as saying its not inclusive enough and it's not diverse enough and this isn't good enough.the article concludes with several paragraphs explaining that the limited number of centres for women's football mean some have to travel great distances to get to them, to the obvious disadvantage of the less well off.

this (https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/) is a government webpage containing details of ethnicity in britain. it says 87% of the population is white. which means 13% is non-white.and 13% fits very well into the 10-15% of bame players in the not diverse enough, not inclusive enough women's football league.

as my old headmaster used to say, in response to many a clueless response from a pupil: "one of us is stupid!"

2. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

You are missing something.

The age group which women footballers might come out of shows a completely different profile. I looked at age group 10-30. In that range 24% of the population are white, 26% are black caribbean.

3. Ric Glasgow

Ric Glasgow Well-Known Member

Serious question Plum...what are the other 50%?

4. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

A lot of the BAME young females are not allowed to do things like running around playing sports, mixing with girls from different, cultures. They are lucky to be allowed out alone in many cases. N9t to mention football is not the sport of choice in their communities anyway even if they were allowed to participate in sports. You are restricted to black players really.

5. Barchullona

Black. They have never been near the Caribbean.

6. Tuckin

Tuckin Well-Known Member

I'm afraid you've misread the numbers. I just worked them out and the proportions I see among people aged 10-29 are:
    81.2% White
    10.1% Asian
    4% Black
    3.4% Mixed
    1.3% Other

7. Ric Glasgow

Maybe on holiday?? Then again the chances are they couldn't afford it(bit like me,I can't either)...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  8. Barchullona

As I said above a lot of Asian girls would not be allowed to play even if they wanted, which isn nlikely as football is not the number one sport in their community. So, black players seem over represented. Which doesn't stop the complaining.
    Same at the BBC who have declared that to reflect diversity they wantv20% of staff to be from a BAME background when only 13% of the UK population is BAME.

9. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

Less than age 10, older than 30

10. Ric Glasgow

Ditto HMRC...

11. Ric Glasgow

So it's 24% and 26% of 50%?

That's an extremely odd way of calculating statistics!!

12. Tuckin

Tuckin Well-Known Member

No – he's just misread the tables catastrophically.

Ric Glasgow likes this.
  13. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

You could be right. But the overall premise that looking at the population as a whole is misleading. Need to look at girls only in specific age/ethnicity groups. Right now I can't be bothered becayse cricket's on tv!

14. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

I think my quick calculation was wrong...

15. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Or maybe just look at the borough of newham and say it’s disgusting there isn’t 90 odd % bame representation at all levels of the game?

They ne er seem to include the administrators in this do they
    Or mp’s
    Strange that

16. Barchullona

You might find there are more in the groups mentioned interested in that than football.

17. Barchullona

When are they going to insist that the PL and the England team represent the ethnic make up of the country? Or should they carry on picking people on ability unlike organisations like the BBC which indulge in box ticking?

18. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

The problem with solely picking people on ability is that then the areas of the population that usually get left behind keep getting left behind and the problem only ever gets worse.

We know that a cisgender, straight, white, middle class and above man has the best chance of having more opportunities in life for a number of reasons. It's not their fault, it's just the way our society works.

I'm not saying box ticking is any better, but solely picking on ability will also cause problems. I have no idea how to help balance things.

19. Barchullona

Next time I am in hospital I hope the surgeon, anaesthetists, theatre staff etc are have been picked on ability and not to fulfil quotas.

Though City seem to be ahead of the curve and not employing people based on ability.

20. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

I'm not fully disagreeing with you, but we also need to find ways help give more people the chance to be the best person on ability too.

I'm straying into politics here I think so I'll stop.

Plum likes this.