1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

England Women in New Zealand 2012

Discussion in 'International Cricket' started by lahdarbheinn, Feb 11, 2012.

1. lahdarbheinn

lahdarbheinn Member

The ladies have a chance to douse our anguish at the recent men's series whitewash with their tour to NZ.

Firstly 3 warm up games.

The first one, a 50 over match against Emerging NZ, was played today. Bit one-sided given England won by 181 runs.
    Lottie hit the tour running with a 123. Next best was Brindle (33) and Taylor (32) hauling the total to 292-9.
    Emerging NZ got skittled for 111 with Shrubsole returning 5-5 from 5.1 overs - suggesting she is over her injuries.

No Wyatt in the team - granted only a warm up game but a bit odd given she has tended to open recently in ODIs. Perhaps a Dec/Jan spent in Australia is considered a warm-up (but then Squirt has been playing in NZ and got picked).

Suggest most followers of women's circket can guess 6 out of the starting 11 for the ODIs & T20s - Lottie, Marsh, Greenway, Brindle, Taylor and Gunn - leaving a scrap between the remaining 9 players for 5 spots.

Check out links on ECB website for reports, scorecards and video highlights.

2. lahdarbheinn

lahdarbheinn Member

Well done England on the victory in T20 match one.

Some interesting selections – Beaumont and Rowe for example. Certainly went for the long batting line up option. Rowe at 9 and Hazell at 10 and even Shrubsole opens for Somerset. I suspect that if Shrubsole connects with the bat it does a long long way.

Shrubsole was on fire. Her figures (4-0-11-5) are the best T20 figures by an England women (beating the Jenny Gunn’s 2-0-9-4 against South Africa on 10th August 2007). They are the 2nd best limited overs figures by an England women (only bettered by Joanna Chamberlain’s 9-1-8-7 against Denmark on 19th July 1991 in an ODI) – given the quality of opposition one could argue Shrubsole’s is the higher quality achievement.

Shrubsole’s effort is not quite the best in an England Women’s T20 – Amy Satterthwaite managed 4-0-17-6 against England on 16th August 2007.

Obviously no other England T20 ‘5-fors’ but it’s been done a few times in ODIs. Laura Harper’s 8.4-2-12-5 against the Netherlands on 19th July 1999 is second to Chamberlain and by 1 run worse than Shrubsole. There are 13 other cases (Rosalie Birch, Sarah Collyer, Clare Connor, Jenny Gunn, Laura Marsh, Joanna Chamberlain, Gillian Smith x 2, Isa Guha x 2 and Katherine Brunt x 3). Of these ‘5-fors’ the highest quality is probably Katherine Brunt’s most recent because it was against Australia and in the final of a competition containing the best 4 teams in the world.

Shrubsole’s ‘5-fors’ didn’t involve the batsman’s bat. That’s only happened twice before (Gillian Smith managed 2 bowled and 3 LBWs and Katherine Brunt managed 1 bowled and 4 LBWs – time to buy the umpire a drink!).

Shrubsole’s international career T20 figures read: 27-0-184-16

Danni Hazell has the 9th, 10th and 11th best bowling figures in (England) T20. Today’s 3-15 is now sandwiched between her 3-14 and 3-16. She also has a 3-19 and a 3-20.

Beaumont’s 17no was her highest international T20 score.

Greenway’s second international T20 golden duck after ‘achieving’ her first against India on 26th June 2011.

Interesting question : How many England capped wicketkeepers are playing in New Zealand at the moment ? Answer: 3 – Sarah Taylor and Tammy Beaumont are both capped England keepers but so is Mandie Godliman – who played 11 ODIs in 2002 and 2003 and is still playing top line cricket for Canterbury – in fact her most recent match was the Action Cricket Twenty20 2011/12 (Final) last month which Canterbury won.

3. lahdarbheinn

lahdarbheinn Member

Laura Marsh scores her highest international T20 score, beating the 46 against India on 8th March 2010. Laura is now on 37 international T20 wickets so just 2 behind the highest wicket taker Holly Colvin (although Holly has only bowled 106 overs compared to Laura’s 145).

Laura’s innings was also notable for the proportion of runs in boundaries. At 91.66% is was just behind Lottie’s 94.11% when she scored 4 boundaries in a score of 17.

The 11 boundaries in Laura’s innings was equal 2nd (with Taylor SC and Lottie) for most boundaries in an innings. Lottie managed 12 against South Africa on 10th August 2007.

Shrubsole and Wyatt continue to vie for the most effective bowler (though not the most economical). Shrubsole is on 11.22 runs per wicket and 10.11 balls per wicket whilst Wyatt is on 11.00 runs per wicket and 11.19 balls per wicket.

Largest runs margin of victory over NZ in T20 – not that there have been that many to compare to.

This is the first to tour to NZ in which we’ve played T20s ….. bit odd that.

4. lahdarbheinn

lahdarbheinn Member

Well done on T20 Series win. Not that easy winning in NZ - played 20 ODIs, won 5, lost 13 and 2 no results. First T20 Series out there.

From 12-4 I guess the plan of batting all the way down worked quite well - although NZ certainly imploded from a strong position in their chase.

Jenny Gunn has passed 500 T20 runs. She is also 1 behind Lottie in the 6 hitting totals with 7.

Arran Brindle’s feat of being out without facing a ball is not unique. Holly Colvin and Isa Guha both managed it in the same match (in the 2009 T20 World Cup against Pakistan). Others that have done it are ‘Shaggy’ Atkins, Clare Taylor, Edwards and Danni Hazell. From memory the Edwards and Taylor cases were deflections off the bowler’s hand. Needless to say all cases are run outs (Timed Out, Obstructing The Field and Retired are the other methods of dismissal to achieve this).

Whether any player has previously managed Lydia’s feat of running out your partner on 2 successive deliveries I don’t know (apologies to Lydia if I’m wrong but Arran’s run out looked like her call).

5. lahdarbheinn

lahdarbheinn Member

Congratulations on England with their 4-0 series win.

The bowl seemed to dominate the bat for most of the time – especially when NZ were batting to be honest. World shift in T20 has taken place in the last 4 years. Australia, England and the West Indies are the top 3 teams and I’d expect one of these 3 to win the T20 World Cup this year (West Indies have just knocked over India in a T20 series).

For England the stand out performance must be Shrubsole both making it through a series without getting crocked and bowling so well. She is a different fast bowler to Brunt. Brunt gets her speed through the air whilst Shrubsole gets a hell of a kick out of the pitch.

Shrubsole has the best balls per wicket with 10.95 but that’s only just ahead of Danni Wyatt with 11.26. Next is Holly (16.33).

The 2 wickets Elwiss got in the final T20 were her first (international) T20 wickets.

Beaumont golden duck was her first in T20. Jenny Gunn still holds the lead with 4 T20 golden ducks.

Brindle’s 23no was her highest T20 score – bit of surprise that.

Series plaudits with the bat to Sarah Taylor with 104 runs followed by Marsh with 74.

Shrubsole was the best bowler with series figures of 15.2-1-48-10, although most bowlers performed: Hazell 15.1-0-95-7; Wyatt 12-0-62-5; Marsh 16-0-85-4; Brindle 15-0-72-2 and Elwiss 4-0-30-2.

Hints as to the T20 line up for the World Cup. With Brunt and Colvin coming back into the equation Mr Lane has a bit of a quandary – nice one though. At least he’s got about 8 more T20s before he must solve the quandary.

6. LurgMhor

LurgMhor New Member

I'm delighted that Anya has more than justified her call up for this series & hope her success will continue for the ODIs. If we can ever get both Anya & Nonny fighting fit & on the park together then I'd expect to see the most potent bowling unit of the modern era.

7. lahdarbheinn

lahdarbheinn Member

I agree with you LurgMhor about Brunt & Shrubsole together. Both fast and both firey characters .... lovely. Lets hope they both stay fit enough to bowl in tandem at the summer internationals.

Here's a little diversion from the NZ tour in the gap between the T20s and the ODIs ....

The Academy squad for an April tour of SA has been announced.

Caroline Atkins (Sussex, captain)
    Tammy Beaumont (Kent) [MCC YC2012 Full Time] {NZ 2012 squad member}
    Deanna Cooper (Kent)
    Kate Cross (Lancashire)
    Catherine Dalton (Middlesex)
    Jodie Dibble (Devon) [MCC YC2012 Part Time]
    Amy Jones (Warwickshire) [MCC YC2012 Part Time]
    Beth MacGregor (Essex) [MCC YC2012 Part Time]
    Alice Macleod (Berkshire) [MCC YC2012 Part Time]
    Natasha Miles (Middlesex) [MCC YC2012 Part Time]
    Natalie Sciver (Surrey) [MCC YC2012 Part Time]
    Helen Shipman (Warwickshire)
    Fran Wilson (Somerset) [MCC YC2012 Full Time]
    Danni Wyatt (Staffordshire) [MCC YC2012 Full Time] {NZ 2012 squad member}

YC2012 Full Time not on Academy Tour:-
    Georgia Elwiss
    Heather Knight
    Susie Rowe
    Anya Shrubsole
    Sarah Taylor

YC2012 Full Time on Academy Tour:-
    Tammy Beaumont
    Fran Wilson
    Danielle Wyatt

All YC2012 Part Time are on Academy Tour.

Looks like they decided that all 14 MCC YC members could tour with the Academy except for Elwiss, Knight, Rowe, Shrubsole & Taylor. No point in Taylor going (she’s not exactly Academy !). The others might have personal reasons (such as study or work commitments) that prevent them going.

Great idea for the Academy to tour against a full international country. Probably good experience for South Africa as well and its good to see the ECB both helping England and helping other countries get more international experience.

8. LurgMhor

LurgMhor New Member

ECB isn't skimping on resources for developing the women's game at the moment and pleased to see this extends to trying to improve the standards beyond the big 4 (or is it 5 yet?). I was interested to read of the big scores made recently in SA's domestic competition (3 batsmen made 200+), but presume this is symptomatic of a significant mismatch between some of the provincial teams involved.

Curious to see Catherine Dalton on the list (the only player there that I can't recall having seen in action) - played 4 seasons for Essex showing fairly mundane stats [WCC Bat Av 26 & HS 45*].

9. lahdarbheinn

lahdarbheinn Member

I can't help with Catherine Dalton because I've not spotted her before or Deanna Cooper or Jodie Dibble or Natasha Miles. I cearly need to get around the circuit a bit more !

No Rainford-Brent either which seems a bit surprising. Perhaps, notwithstanding the captain, they adopt some sort of age limit on Academy tours.

10. LurgMhor

LurgMhor New Member

Yes I was wondering whether Ebony's last chances for international recognition have passed by. I'm not aware of any current injury problems or that she's playing abroad during our winter.

11. lahdarbheinn

lahdarbheinn Member

I see Jenny Gunn has been reported for her action again. Amazing. She's been cleared in 2009 and, looking at the video highlights from the NZ tour, I can't any grounds at all for her being reported this time. She got a far more straight action than a certain player was allowed to claim over 700 test wickets. What a total waste of time and it certainly leaves a sour taste to the tour.

12. lahdarbheinn

lahdarbheinn Member

Okay so its 2 ODIs and 2 wins ..... surely they can't do the unthinkable and go unbeaten through an NZ tour ?

Congratulations to Lottie on breaking the fastest (in balls) women's ODI century record.

Sarah Taylor has now reached 2000 (well 2002) ODI runs - must be the youngest person to achieve that I would think. Stafanie Taylor (West Indies) is closing fast and will probably take the record when she reaches 2000 but Sarah's is perahps more laudable because Stafanie Taylor has played a lot of matches against the weaker countries.

On the bowling front it looks an interesting period ahead with Colvin (78), Marsh (74) and Brunt (68) all getting closer to the top of the all time England ODI wicket takers. Connor (80), Gunn (88), Guha (101) and CE Taylor (102). With Gunn not bowling as much as she used we could well have all 4 around the 100 mark at the same time. Isa Guha is still stuck 1 short !

Another interesting scrap to the 100 mark is between Gunn (94) and Greenway (93) in terms of ODI caps. Lottie is way out ahead of everyone with 154. Also in the caps department we have Laura Marsh on a run of 38 consectutive caps.

13. LurgMhor

LurgMhor New Member

I have also studied the video highlights of Trigger's bowling in NZ and couldn't see anything unusual that might warrant another referral. Since her action has been analysed & cleared on 2 previous occasions (and one of the reporting umpires stood for 2 matches in 2008 in which Jenny bowled) it is rather surprising.

While the tour has been excellent in terms of results from an English viewpoint, it hasn't given much opportunity for the likes of Knight, Rowe or Wyatt to lay down a claim for a main batting slot.

14. lahdarbheinn

lahdarbheinn Member

Okay so its 3 ODIs and 3 wins. Wow. What a tremendous achievement.
    Getting a whitewash isn't that common, only once being achieved against Aus or NZ before and this is the first time away from home against any of the 'big 3':-
    3-0 NZ 1984 Home
    3-0 India 1986 Home
    2-0 Ireland 1990 Away
    2-0 South Africa 2005 Away
    2-0 Sri Lanka 2005 Away
    4-0 India 2006 Home
    1-0 West Indies 2008 Home
    4-0 South Africa 2008 Away
    4-0 India 2008 Home
    4-0 Australia 2009 Home
    1-0 Ireland 2010 Home
    1-0 Sri Lanka 2010 Away
    3-0 South Africa 2011 Away

That's 10 ODI in the last 11 ODIs (and the only loss in that run was to Australia in a match that was a dead rubber in the Quad Series). The record in T20 is even better with 17 wins, 2 no results and only 1 loss in the last 20 T20 matches (again the loss was Aus but we were 4-0 at the time).

The Yearly ODI results have been:-
    2005 : W10,L10,NR2
    2006 : W4,L0,NR1
    2007 : W3,L9,NR1
    2008 : W14,L3,NR5
    2009 : W11,L3,NR1
    2010 : W7,L5,NR1
    2011 : W7,L3,NR0
    2012 : W2,L0,NR0

The same for T20 is:-
    2004 : W0,L1,NR0
    2005 : W0,L1,NR0
    2006 : W0,L1,NR0
    2007 : W3,L1,NR0
    2008 : W3,L1,NR1
    2009 : W6,L3,NR0
    2010 : W7,L5,NR1
    2011 : W10,L1,NR1
    2012 : W4,L0,NR1

Well done to the team. I guess in any tour there are individual winners and losers - the latter perhaps being Morgan and Guhu who didn't play an ODI or T20 match. If one's only losers are those that don't play it must be a great tour. Who had the best tour well here are the figures - decide for yourself:-

ODI Bowling
    Brindle A: 21.4-1-113-4
    Elwiss GA: 13-1-66-2
    Gunn JL: 22-0-93-4
    Hazell D: 8-0-53-1
    Marsh LA: 30-2-99-6
    Shrubsole A: 25-0-119-4
    Wyatt DN: 13-0-66-3

T20 Bowling
    Brindle A: 15-0-72-2
    Elwiss GA: 4-0-30-2
    Hazell D: 15.1-0-95-7
    Marsh LA: 16-0-85-4
    Shrubsole A: 15.2-1-48-10
    Wyatt DN: 12-0-62-5

Combined Bowling
    Brindle A: 36.4-1-185-6
    Elwiss GA: 17-1-96-4
    Gunn JL: 22-0-93-4
    Hazell D: 23.1-0-148-8
    Marsh LA: 46-2-184-10
    Shrubsole A: 37.2-1-167-14
    Wyatt DN: 25-0-128-8

ODI Batting
    Edwards CM : 230
    Taylor SJ : 165
    Greenway LS : 129
    Marsh LA : 59
    Brindle A : 23
    Beaumont TT : 14
    Wyatt DN : 9
    Gunn JL : 3
    Knight HC : 1

T20 Batting
    Taylor SJ : 104
    Marsh LA : 74
    Gunn JL : 63
    Edwards CM : 59
    Greenway LS : 45
    Brindle A : 33
    Beaumont TT : 33
    Rowe SE : 19

Combined Batting
    Edwards CM : 289
    Taylor SJ : 269
    Greenway LS : 174
    Marsh LA : 133
    Gunn JL : 66
    Brindle A : 56
    Beaumont TT : 47
    Rowe SE : 19
    Wyatt DN : 9
    Knight HC : 1

15. lahdarbheinn

lahdarbheinn Member

The paradox of success LurgMhor - the better the upper order the less chance the middle and lower order get to impress.
    I can't work out why Marsh doesn't open in ODI as well as T20. I don't think they quite yet know for sure who the best ODI partner for Lottie is. I reckon Wyatt had her chance last summer and didn't really grasp it although there is some question that she was tasked to just go out and swing. Knight, equally had her chance as an ODI opener and blew it. Rowe has the claim that she hasn't really had an ODI chance - she's stuck behind Lottie, Marsh, Taylor, Greenway and Brindle in the pecking order.
    At least on occasions when the top 2 or 3 or even 4 in one case haven't fired we've had the batting in depth to bail us out. When one looks at some of the players we have coming in (ok potentially coming in) at no8 and no9 its staggering. It wasn't long ago that we used to collapse like a pack of cards in the middle order - hard to believe that now.
    My gut feel (when all players are available) or perhaps its just my desire is that the batting order for both T20 and ODI becomes Lottie, Marsh, Taylor, Greenway, Brindle, Gunn. The rest will depend on whether its T20 or ODI and what the pitch is likely to do but either way Colvin and Brunt will be in there.

16. lahdarbheinn

lahdarbheinn Member

Thanks to Isa for a great career.
    Ends up 1 ODI wicket short of Clare Taylor but still one of only two of England players to have exceeded that magic 100 mark.
    ODI career bowling 625.5-85-2345-101
    T20 carerr bowling 76.3-5-451-18
    I guess with Elwiss, Shrubsole and Brunt appearing to be ahead of her its maybe a reasonable time to move on to a new career .... but will still play for Berkshire of course.

17. LurgMhor

LurgMhor New Member

ladharbheinn, You missed off her Test figures! 248.3 - 81 - 549 - 29

Isa has made a highly laudable contribution to the game - especially staying clear of injury for much of her career - and was the 1st England bowler to top the women's ranking system when it came in. I believe that she has been developing a scientific career outside of sport and presumably she has read the runes & can no longer afford the time commitment required to be part of the international set up.