1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

England v ITALY

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by bcfcredandwhite, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

didnt expect England to fail. Scots and Czechs in the group. England failed 0-0 v Scotland.

2. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

I would go with ..

Pickford

Walker Stones Maguire Trippier

Henderson Phillips

Sterling Grealish Foden

Kane

Keep it very tight, and painful to watch. Grealish gets fouled (or not), Trippier free kick to Maguires slab head 1 - 0.

3. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

The Scots can celebrate their 0-0 all they like - and it WAS disappointing of course, but ultimately they are out and we are champions and through to the next stages - with everything to play for.
    From now-on all points and GD count for NOTHING - the slate is wiped clean - and it's simple; win and stay in, or lose and you're out.

4. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

That’s us out then <laugh><laugh><laugh>

5. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

Seems its

Pickford

Trippier
    Walker
    Stones
    Maguire
    Shaw

Rice
    Phillips

Sterling
    Kane
    Saka

Well if that is the team, Southgate will have no hiding place if it goes badly. Played five games in a month with a back four, four clean sheets and then moves to a back five!!!

6. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

7. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

I wonder what the players who actually won something in 1966 were earning compared to this pampered lot? A mere pittance I would expect, which leads me to not be in love with this version of an England team.

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  8. Cliftonville

Trippier significantly improved the standard of free kicks. England could have been behind before scoring. Only three shots on goal from open play and two of these occurred when Grealish was on the pitch. It was a tough watch.

The German team was the worst I feel I have seen for decades, watching the Ukrainians I don't think they are better than the German team. Another tough watch coming and another win.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  9. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

At some point we might have to play someone half decent like Spain or Italy.

10. Cliftonville

And will have to improve elements of the teams game or lose. If you are interested in stats and key performance indicators England's over four games typically would not = Three wins, one draw no goals conceded. There are a lot of good habits in this England team, they are not lucky, its earned, but this only goes so far as a rule (the Greeks broke it).

11. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

If Germany had scored more goals than us then we would have lost the game.
    It's only because we scored 2 and they couldn't score that we won.
    We are crap.
    Southgate OUT..........

AshtonRed likes this.
  12. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I criricised the England team earlier in the tournament for negative style of play and stated they had no chance of beating Germany if that continued, the style improved, the team won and I was wrong about the result, brilliant for us, well done the team and all involved.

13. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Southgate is operating directly from the Jose Mourinho method, set up to not to lose and to be difficult to beat (not conceding) and take your chances as they come, it's great when it works but when it doesn't fans will not tolerate it, ala Chelsea (2nd time around) ManU and Tottenham, it is a difficult watch when you ain't getting results.

But hey fair play to Southgate for sticking to his guns.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  14. Cliftonville

Jose Mourinho still played Frank Lampard. I found it very interesting .. .The team selected even for a cautious coach .. Ultra cautious.

15. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Well, we won but watching England isn't easy.
    Games like this are decided on very fine margins.
    That 'magnificent' defence and tactical Southgate genius was carved open for the best chance first half, thank our lucky stars it fell to Werner.
    The enigma that is Raheem Sterling nearly went from hero to zero in a few minutes.
    The Muller miss confirmed it was our day.

According to pundits Declan Rice is the 2nd coming and how 'often he passed forward'.
    They watch a different game to me.
    I know, it's me who's wrong, but if he's the best we have may the Lord help us.

16. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

The difference being he played Drogba upfront on his own a lot with Lampard in the number 10 role and Drogba was a proper target man.

17. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

I only watched a few minutes as is my genuine lack of interest in England ever since the you-know-who era, but at both club and international level I don't get the hype or devotion to the likes of Sterling, Maguire, Walker etc.

18. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

It’s not always the best team that wins, it’s about taking opportunities, who has the most nerve, we took ours chances , they didn’t , it’s often been the other way around, we’ve struggled to have enough belief . I’m just pleased we managed to finally knock out one of the giants of world football. The Germans usually find a way to win even if they aren’t at their best. We’ll done England

19. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Lee Hendrie is the latest pundit just now on Sky that is raving about Declan Rice's 'vision'.
    I understand the DM role but he's just the latest who said 'how often he passes forward, breaking lines with his bravery.
    I'll have another look tomorrow night.

20. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

England have not conceded a goal for a reason, BCFC take note.

He's one of those players that every successful team needs. Breaking up play winning the ball and then give it to the playmakers, offering proper protection to his defence, relieving pressure, much of his work will always go unnoticed.

He is the sort of player that our own Tyreeq Bakinson needs to study, especially the defensive side of his game. Rice is not as dynamic as Henderson but Henderson is not fully fit and has become mistake prone and becomes undisciplined getting caught out ahead of the ball, but Phillips plays that more dynamic role, they compliment each other, playing Rice and Phillips allows the players like Sako Sterling, Mount and Grealish to play their game knowing that runners and the defence are covered and it's working, Rice goes about his game quietly and efficiently.

That's the way I see it.