1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

England v ITALY

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by bcfcredandwhite, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

I was unlucky enough to see 5 or so minutes of that absolute garbage
    How Sterling is a professional football player is beyond me.

But the whole competition is being strung out for financial purposes and that results in pretty meaningless games at times.

They should have had 4 groups of 4 teams with the top 2 teams progressing to the quarter finals.
    The fact that Denmark have played 3 games and lost 2 of them, yet still progress, tells its own story.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    Redprintt likes this.
  2. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I remember buying the Sunday Sport once back in about 1988, thinking it had SPORT in it ..........<doh>

Once the truth unveiled I was an avid reader <laugh>

3. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

My predicted team.

.......................................Pickford..................................

Walker............Stones...........Maguire............Shaw

......................Henderson.........Bellingham...............

Sterling......................Grealish...................Sancho

...............................Calvert-Lewin...........................

4. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Pickford
    Stones, Maguire, Mings
    Trippier, Phillips, Bellingham, Shaw
    Sancho, Kane, Grealish

Assumes Mount and Chillwell isolating.
    Foden would be a definite but he's on a booking.

5. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

Twitter thoughts ?

6. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Thoughts England beat the Czechs at Wembley 5-0. Played 4-3-3. That is 4-2-3-1 with two defensive midfielders.

7. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

No Sancho!! In this game!!! The lad has 16 goals and 20 assists this season!!!! Two cdms in a dead rubber!!!!!! How many will Southgate play if we play Germany or France!!!!!! Hes a very very boring man !!!!!!!!

8. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

I would like to see Trippier back in the side. England are scoring less than a goal a game. Trippier would improve the standard of the free kicks and corners.

9. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Absolute boring dull rubbish served up by a bunch of under achievers who have the nerve to call themselves professional footballers. They are disgrace to the England shirt and probably think more about their social media standing than the pride they should feel representing their country. Any decent team that play football the way it is intended will walk all over this sad bunch. :angry:

10. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Inver, think that's a bit ott.
    I don't understand 2 DMs last night but pretty sure we'll need them next Tuesday.
    It may be good practice getting used this system against lesser teams because the next game will be incredibly difficult.
    2 DMs may give us the best chance to go further.

Ps - I agree England were a painful watch but it's the same every Saturday in the Premiership and certainly at AG.
    Passing square then back then square ad nauseum does my head in. And inevitably a cock up trying to 'play out leads to a goal every week.
    The possession style of football has turned me off the game.

11. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

England are in probably the weakest group in the tournament, have played all 3 games at Wembley, have only managed to score only 2 goals and have looked slow and predictable, OK they have not conceded but have had some good fortune defensively at times. We were so marginally better last night it hardly registered, I get that it's tournament football where a win is a win, the next game will tell us all we need to know, unless a miracle happens and we get Hungary, then my money will be on a defeat for a same old same old predictable England major tournament disappointment and probably not much in the way of great memories.

About as inspiring as the Marks and Spencer's George Floyd inspired inclusive brown underwear for the genders that wear those sort of things, whatever they are called these days.

12. bcfcredandwhite

The pundits made a good point yesterday after the game; if it was Germany or Italy qualifying in the manner we have, everyone would be referring to them as being 'professional' and 'efficient'.
    Because it's England, we expect to be ripping sides apart, winning 3 or 4 nil, dancing through the midfield, scoring with Rabona's and bicycle kicks, and when we only win 1-0 we are cr@p - yet we are still top of our group.
    I've said on OTIB; I want to see us win a trophy. I've NEVER seen us win a major trophy and I'm 54. However, I have seen enough 'exciting' defeats to last me an entire lifetime.

Keep going with the 'boring' 1-0 wins Gareth - it's fine by me. The football itself may not be exciting, but if we go all the way by playing it then I'll be delighted.

13. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I know it is tournament football and emphasis has got to be put on early round survival, qualification for the knockout games is paramount but what a load of turgid, negative and boring crap we have been served up, possession, tippy tappy, square, back passing, long balls to the front and 2 goals is all we have earned, it's total rubbish.

France, Germany, Italy and Belgium are miles ahead of us, even Wales have shown more spirit than our lifeless lot, obviously it's the fault of Southgate, he has built a football team based on his own character, defensive, lifeless, just plain bloody boring.

I'm sorry but it will be a miracle if we progress much further, if we fail I hope this guy gets the big elbow, we have got the players, it's the timid leadership and management style that has failed.

14. bcfcredandwhite

'it's the timid leadership and management style that has failed.....'
    We're through the group stages as champions of our group. How is that failure?

15. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Pundits, I am glad you mentioned pundits, why is there a need for the BBC to have between 6 to 8 pundits for every game? don't forget they are riding the publicly funded BBC gravy train and have a vested interest in making it seem better than it is.

But hey ho and back to the thrust of your post, what will your view be if we revert to type and lose to a better team in the knockout stage?, because let's be honest France, Germany or Portugal would almost certainly have dispatched England's opposition easier than we have.

16. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Can you honestlly say you have enjoyed watching what we have served up? 2 goals scored, 2 x 1-0 victories, a 0-0 draw against Scotland which was lucky, we scraped and struggled through all 3 games in a slow, monotenous and predictable way, all against supposed weaker teams, all 3 games home at Wembley, we started off as one of the favourites and since then the fear factor and our reputation has plummeted against all our opposition

Ok we have qualified that is a success, you are correct, not a failure.

17. bcfcredandwhite

I would be pissed off if we lose. I was pissed off when we didn’t beat Scotland (although everyone knew that the Scots would raise their game).
    As with many of the similar debates on here I’m looking at the table position, rather than the entertainment value over 90 minutes.
    I’d take Warnock-esq hoofball if it brought silverware - over 1 season at least.
    Now we have qualified it’s **** or bust. I think we will see a different approach - particularly if we fall behind.

18. bcfcredandwhite

I see our qualifying as ‘champions’ a success.
    Not entertaining - frustrating at times, but successful nonetheless.

19. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

My point being it will be predictable, England need a non predictable approach, but I will be surprised if the approach changed.

20. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

euro's are 3 stages. qualify ….qualify .. the knockouts ….

2 out of 3 so far we play a team from the source of the one of the 2 teams [Belgium + ] that could be finalists …. but in group F there are 3 of them!