1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

England Squad Announced

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by itfcptc, May 16, 2018.

1. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44138600

Thoughts?

Think it's good decision to leave Hart at home. Good to see a manager pick on form over stature.

However I'm shocked he's not included Wilshere in there. Our CM is probably the worst going into a tournament I can remember. I can't believe he hasn't picked a creative player in there.

The squad has certainly got some half decent players in there but apart from Kane and possibly Walker there's no players in there who have performed consistently over a number of years in the PL. For the first time going into a tournament I really don't think we've got a chance......but I guess it's a team game and technically we've got good players which we haven't had in the past.

Westlake33 likes this.
  2. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Shelvey should be there and Delph should definitely not.

3. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

He should've at least picked one good passer of the ball like Shelvey or Wilshere as we've actually got some good runners and he hasn't picked anyone who'll be able to pick them out

canary-dave likes this.
  4. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

I guess you could argue Dele Alli could be that spark - however will he start!? I like Lingard though.

I would certainly have taken Wilshire.

Shelvey I'm 50-50 with. Great passing range but at times has the habit of switching off, or walking back and not remotely tracking his man. Sort that out and you've got a hell of a player in there - his appetite / body language at times is very poor and lets him down.

How will we do? not sure. Definitely out the group... will need to win it.

5. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Gareth is the first manager since Sven that I felt was making a lot of the right calls.

Probably would have left Delph at home but that's about it. Looking at recent call ups there is no-one obvious that should be going so for that reason I can see the argument for Shelvey. But his temperament is probably the reason he's been overlooked (why take a risk on a squad player?). James Milner has had a really good season, or maybe I'd take Sessegnon or even Foden or Brewster. Whatever the choice it's not an obvious one.

When you look at the midfields of Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, United or City then Jack Wilshere wouldn't get in those sides, I think he has been one of the below par players this season and I agree with Southgate that form is important.

6. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

When Wilshire is properly 100% fit zero issue he's absolute class in my opinion. Issue being........ how often is that!? Milner I'm surprised didn't go as can do so many jobs well / I'd imagine he'd be a good egg to have around / experience etc.

Not a major fan of Delph however a bit of versatility and I guess there aren't too many better than him at CM....

CM is not rock n roll!

7. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

I don’t mind the squad

8. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I think overall it's a solid squad. I'm glad Hart, Lallana, and Wilshere have been left out. They are over-rated players who have a history of serious fitness issues and have not done anything noteworthy this season. People talk about including in-form players rather than those with experience, so I think Delph is a sensible inclusion considering he's been a regular fixture in the Manchester City team and is versatile, which is the type of player you need in a football tournament. Shelvey's had a decent season, but I think his character is counting against him, as well as his disciplinary issues. I think we're missing James Milner, would've been a good influence and is very versatile and experienced.

In terms of replacements, I would have preferred Lascelles over Stones, who has played twice in 2018 I believe, and Bertrand over Rose. I also think we could do better than Danny Welbeck up front on the bench, even if that means replacing him with another attacking midfielder. Let's be honest, if we're being sensible, we're only going to field one striker, so Kane, Vardy, and Rashford should be enough.

The amount of defenders is a little baffling, but I presume we're going with a five man defence with Kyle Walker in central defence on the right. A central of defence of Dier, Jones, and Walker looks solid, supported by Delph and Trippier as wing backs.

9. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

MM would've been proud of that squad - so dull and boring!!!!
    In saying that, we're not exactly blessed with any other options for creativity. I'm very surprised Smalling isn't in the squad (not even back up) and Jones, Tarkowski and Maguire are above him (Maguire really????)

I also think there's a wealth of talent outside the premiership. If the likes of Walcott can get in a squad aged 16, then Sessegnon deserves to go without a shadow of doubt - will easily be one of England's best left side players for years to come. I also think Cairney is far better then a lot of the premiership CM's, and actually would prefer him to Henderson.

We are a piss poor average team, who have got a very favourable draw, so will probably scrape our way to the 1/4's - even though there will be a lot of teams deserving to go further than us.

10. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

Walcott didn’t deserve to get in a squad at 16.......

11. Nuggets

Dull and boring? There are goals and assists in this squad, aside from the strikers, take your pick out of Raheem Sterling, Deli Alli, Jesse Lingard, and Marcus Rashford. All promising young talents and they have scored and assisted double figures across all competitions this season (Sterling and Alli in the Premier League alone!). Kane and Vardy are accomplished, consistent goalscorers and in Kyle Walker, we have one of the Premier League's best defenders in our squad.

I don't think we'll win the World Cup, but reaching the quarter finals would be impressive, considering we haven't won a knock out game since 2006. I like the fact that this squad does not contain players trading on their reputations (like Hart, Rooney, and Wilshere), rather than any consistently good form over the past year or so. Southgate comes across as pretty bland and corporate, but he's proved to be fairly ruthless when it comes to moving the old guard on and trying to foster a more attractive, team-based playing style.

I think taking Sessegnon would have be a risky considering he hasn't played against international-standard opposition yet, but I would not have criticised it. I'm more concerned that the likes of Bertrand and Lascelles, key players for their respective clubs, have been omitted from the squad at the expense of higher-profile players who have struggled this season (Rose and Stones).

12. stretchyboy

Gotta disagree with you nuggets. I think we will struggle to score goals, and will also struggle to break down the smaller teams.
    I think we'll go with a 5-3-1-1, , with Kane, being the golden boy who can do no wrong, will play all three group games up top on his own. Sterling just behind him, and then a boring pedestrian midfield of Henderson, Dier and Alli.
    I could be proved wrong, but i think it'll be typical England - all the hype, with no substance and will bore viewers to tears.

13. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

My only minor gripes are that Lallana should have been included. He is a class act and one of the most technically proficient players in England and would add a lot of balance to what appears to be a pretty stacked line up of resolute midfielders. That said, he has spent a lot of the season injured and RLC will hopefully add some of that dynamism alongside one of Henderson or Dier, but if he were to get injured we'd become very predicatble (again)

Also, think it's a little harsh on Bertrand, who although hasn't been great this season, has played a lot more than Rose and been a regular fixture in the England starting line up for months so a bit of a surprise with that one.

14. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Smalling is bloody awful. He can kick it and head it, but when it's at his feet he's like Bambi on ice. Not good enough when you are asking a team to pass to each other

As for Maguire. The guy has been absolute class this season. Have you watched him play much? He has probably been the standout defender other than the pair at Burnley. Has lots of composure, but unlike Stones has the ability to just get rid when he needs to. He'd probably be the first defender on the team sheet for me.

ITere is a far too much negativity towards Henderson. Alongside some dynamic midfielders he looks very good. The issue has been for England he's been alongside Dier and/or Livermore. Also, let's not forget he is about to lead his team into a Champions league final as captain. He certainly is not as rubbish as it seems fashionable for everyone to say.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  15. stretchyboy

We all have our opinions and we probably would all pick a different squad to each other - i think Maguire is not that great. He's slow, loses his marker regularly, and is too cumbersome. Granted he can head and tackle, but his positional sense is quite alarming (from what i've seen in the handful of games on TV).
    Henderson is in the team because we don't have any other decent defensive/holding midfielders.

And what about Zaha - why isn't he getting a look in? Surely a better option than Welbeck. In fact i'd even take a half fit Carrol over Welbeck

16. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

Zaha won’t get a look in for as long as he plays for the Ivory Coast imo.

17. stretchyboy

Oh yeah - LOL. How embarrassing, forgot about that

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM likes this.
  18. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Zaha plays for the Ivory Coast, so would imagine that is pretty sizable stumbling block <laugh>

I actually think Welbeck is a very underrated player (for England anyway) He has a better goal scoring record than Kane (15 from 37) and has a lot of attributes to be a world class player.. He's big, strong and lightning quick and can play with his back to goal as well as drive past players with the ball. The issue is he simply isn't clinical in front of goal and doesn't score enough at club level.

His record for England though more than comfortably holds it own, particularly when he has played wide left in midfield as well as left of a front 3 and up front, so he can cover a lot of positions and always works his socks off. If you view him purely on his England performances he deserves to be in the 23

19. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

It happens don’t worry about it.

20. Nuggets

Agreed that by playing a 5-3-1-1 we will struggle to create opportunities, but I'm confident we've got the on-pitch quality to overcome Tunisia and Panama (hopefully by playing a more attacking formation for those games). I think a 4-2-3-1 with Alli, Lingard, Sterling, and Kane in the attacking positions offers one of the more balanced forward lines in England's recent history.

I disagree about the hype around the team though. From what I see and hear, I cannot remember a more humble and downbeat attitude going into a World Cup. I put that down to a series of early tournament exits and a changing mindset of England fans finally realising we are not the world beaters the media usually like to build up, rather than an opinion we have a weak squad.