1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Engerland Engerland Engerland.....

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by ForestHillBilly, Sep 2, 2017.

1. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

We're relying on Engerland to help Scotland by beating Slovakia, and I know for sure that English fans will be hoping for a result that helps Scotland too.

2. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

If the roles were reversed would the Scotch team go out to win or lose?

If the Salmon or Turbot had anything to do with it they would lose and then expect Scotch wins in final two games <ok>

3. ForestHillBilly

Oi! No politics!!

4. deleted.....

Iss nah politics... juss statin fact?.. init..

5. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

This is the problem with 'group stages'.
    Teams doing each other favours...

There should simply be knock-out rounds (two leg, home and away) until there are the required number of teams remaining on each continent.
    The first round should be seeded, but from then on it's random (like the FA Cup).

13 European teams are going to Russia for the Finals. In all the European qualifying groups put together there are 54 teams.
    If a couple of the pub teams were kicked out that could be reduced to 52 teams;

Round Q1: 26 x knock out ties (2 legs, so 52 games) = 26 winners.

Round Q2: 13 x knock-out ties (2 legs, so 26 games) = 13 winners, who then go to the Finals in Russia.

Simples.

The only 'meaningless' games would be the dead rubber second legs in round Q1 where the minnow teams are already 6-0 down. That would be maybe a dozen games at most. And if the seeding was done properly then even the minnows would probably not be playing any of the very top teams.
    A dozen dead rubbers is a lot better than the hundreds of pointless matches being played the way things are now.

Instead of playing 10 qualifying matches (6 or 7 of which are a waste of time) England would have to play only 4 games to qualify.
    That would mean fewer expensive and disruptive international breaks in a season, thus more time to schedule domestic Club games.
    Fewer pointless Internationals means less chance of very expensive players getting injured. For these two reasons alone all of our domestic Clubs (especially the richer ones at the top of the league pyramid) should endorse this idea.

And before anybody accuses me of being totally doolally,
    if FIFA can sanction - and defend with straight faces - a Winter World Cup tournament in Qatar, next to that I am talking solid common sense.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  6. deleted.....

Are you sleep-posting Lardi?

How would the FA pay for Wembley without qualifying matches?... more friendlies?

7. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

Monster truck racing and NFL games?
    Anthony Joshua Vs Australia's Kangaroo Boxing Champion maybe.
    I'd pay £100 to watch that on pay-per-view. Got to be Joshua in the tenth...

8. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

I think England have enough to qualify but not to do much in Russia. Any help we give along the way would be entirely collatoral as we aren't in a position to help others. But anyway, helping the Scots would do us no favours - they will generally raise their game against the Auld Enemy.
    I'd back us to win today, but not with my own money.

9. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

Well, I suppose we are due for some gratitude from North of the border fir thst display of grit, determination and for the first 45 clumsiness. I was sat in a pub here in Spain with a Geordie who knows Charlton a hell of a lot better than me - frequent references to the Peltham Arms and Glen Tilbrook included. You guys live in a paradise, while I have a mother in law who visits daily. I'm ready for Brexit to send me home, where I can watch Charlton, Tilbrook and England regularly.
    Maybe not....

10. ForestHillBilly

Engerland's goals were greeted with huge cheers at Hampden Park. <hug>