1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Educational Choices

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Staines R's, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

Maybe a strange question but does anyone on here have any knowledge of T-Levels ?

Are they worth taking if your young ‘uns really aren’t that gifted academically and when it comes to A-Levels, they would almost certainly struggle.

Personal thoughts appreciated

2. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Don't know much about T Levels but one thing I have learned from many young people my family know is that A Levels and Uni can leave them with a massive debt and no guarantee of future employment commensurate with the years of effort and anxiety courses can bring. One friend of ours son is over £40k down and with family, mortgage and what we've been through in the past 3 years is in dire straits. I've heard similar from others we know as well.

My advice to my grandsons would be if they can get an apprenticeship in an essential trade then go for it. One of my older grandsons got a Saturday job in New Covent Garden Market when he was studying for A Levels but was then taken on permanently and is now a manager in one of the companies in the market and earning more than I was when I was a Facilities Manager and he's just turned 24. Opportunity often presents itself in the most unlikely settings...

UTRs, Goldhawk-Road, kiwiqpr and 4 others like this.
  3. Staines R's

Totally agree mate…..my daughter is doing her A-Levels and seems not to be enjoying them, often saying she’d rather go out and get a job (Which she now can’t do as she has to stay on till she’s 18)
    The twins are doing their GCSE subject choices tomorrow (that’s why the subject came up), and to be honest, I can’t see them doing A-Levels.
    I have thought about apprenticeships but haven’t yet gone in to the workings of them…..another possibility

kiwiqpr likes this.
  4. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

I don't know what T-Levels are either, but I'd certainly recommend looking at apprenticeships. As Sooper suggested, coming out of Uni with a mountain of debt and unsure employment prospects seems a bit of a risk to me. My son did A-Levels, but didn't fancy Uni (his grades weren't great, either), so he looked for an apprenticeship when he left school at 18. He's now in the last year of a degree apprenticeship in computer programming (or something similar). He's already earning pretty good money with his company and will have a lot of opportunities when he gets his degree.

SW Ranger and Staines R's like this.
  5. Staines R's

Pretty sure that’s the route they could be taking….early days yet but nothing wrong to plan ahead

Stroller likes this.
  6. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

IMG-20230221-WA0006.jpg

7. Staines R's

Sooperhoop and Steelmonkey like this.
  8. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

I know they were new in 2020, and as such, are untested. So there must be a risk they will stall, if employers don't buy in. I would have thought an apprenticeship with a reputed company is a safer option.

Staines R's and Sooperhoop like this.
  9. Staines R's

Yeah both are up there as an option.....to be honest, I haven’t got a clue about getting them on an apprenticeship and how it all works......

10. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

Google "how do I become an apprentice" and there's lots of advice including official government help.

Staines R's likes this.

11. Staines R's

Will do mate. Been burying my head in the sand a bit but eventually I’m gonna have to take control I reckon...still time

Goldhawk-Road likes this.