1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Edging Klose to safety? My ratings...

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Canary Rob, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

well we like to do it the hard way, don't we?

Ratings:

Ruddy - 6: a couple of excellent saves, but should have done better for the loopy header, and spilled it a couple of times once into a fortunately offside and off target Cisse. Some horrible clearance kicking. Dominant with crosses in the first half, but struggled with positioning with Mitrovic on as he became nervous with his CBs
    Wisdom - 6: solid defensively, but I don't really think he offers that much. Also Newcastle found space on his side in the second half
    Klose - 7: fantastic, dominant first half. Brilliant finish. Some exceptional interceptions too. Deserves the praise he's getting. However, it might be controversial to say, but I thought he struggled against Mitrovic and Cisse, not that he was given much support by Bennett and started to lose his head. Still put himself in some excellent positions and blocks though
    Olsson - 8: is this a new player? Defensively looking much better with Klose inside him and going forward he suddenly looks exceptional. Wonderful finish for the goal. Occasionally caught out of position and let Townsend inside a couple of times dangerously, but actually did well to keep the overpriced player quiet.
    O'Neil - 8/4: I can't give this guy a proper rating. It was like two different players. Wonderful, all action first half. Headless, brainless second half. Giving the ball away. Very unlucky with the penalty, but frankly if it was going to be anyone it would have been him.
    Howson - 7: wonderful first half, quieter in the second half, but put in a typically solid and reliable performance. Mr dependable.
    Brady - 7: dangerous going forward and his set piece delivery was back to its best (although corners were a little wayward). Worked hard defensively too.
    Jarvis - 6: worked hard defensively, which I suppose is what we needs, but I have to say I felt he was missing for large stretches of the game and rightly substituted.
    Naismith - 7: much, much improved from this man. Very hard working, this is what we expected when we paid £8m for him. I hope he puts in as much effort when we play tougher teams. I would say he lacked a bit of composure in front of goal, but generally excellent particularly in his understanding with Mbokani.
    Mbokani - 8: I can't quite give him a 9, because he could have had a hat trick if only he'd stayed onside/finished in the first half when Darlow put in a good save.

Redmond - 6: didn't offer as much as I was hoping.
    Hoolahan - 6: not enough time to really make an impact, but played a role in our threat going forward even when heads could have dropped.
    Jerome - 5: cameo but offered a bit of energy.

MOTM Mbokani comfortably.

Alex Neil - 7: this is a tough one. It's difficult to give him less than a seven for engineering a win, he set up and motivated well, but I can't help feeling his substitutions, which should have been reactive to Benitez's earlier ones, ended up giving us a mountain to climb (which fortunately we managed), but he'll he could have made it a lot easier for us to breathe...

2. chinacanary

chinacanary Well-Known Member

Good analysis Rob - what a heart attack of a game. Felt Ruddy was soft for their first goal - perhaps he needs to wear a hat a la Gunn used to at this time of year - the sun dipping over the N & P at this time of year can be a pain in the eye...takes away that vital millisecond and also makes your kicking ****e!

3. Canary Rob

Yeah good point I wondered about the sun in the first half.

4. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Strange how different people view the game. Here's mine.

Ruddy - 7
    Wisdom - 6
    Bennett - 7
    Klose - 9
    Olsson - 7
    Jarvis - 5
    Howson - 8
    O'Neil- 7
    Brady - 8
    Naismith - 8
    Mbokani - 9

SUBS

Redmond - 6
    Hoolahan - 7
    Jerome - 5

5. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

I knew I wasn't imagining it. Your 7/10 seemed harsh. Just seen the stats. Tim Klose won 4/4 Arial duels and 11/13 headed clearances. And it felt like that today. He looks the best defender we have had for many a year. I'm overwhelmed with just how little I expected of him. I was so wrong. This lad is what we have needed for about 5-6 seasons.

Walsh.i.am likes this.
  6. Canary Rob

? Your ratings are virtually identical to mine within a point on all counts apart from O'Neil (who if you average my two marks is also one mark off) and Klose. And Klose I acknowledged was a bit controversial, but he definitely struggled with Mitrovic IMO. Take nothing away from him though, he's been fantastic for us.

You're just a bit more generous... I don't tend to give such high scores for narrow wins

7. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Though he did struggle a bit when Mitrovic cams on.

Here are my player ratings
    Ruddy 6
    Wisdom 6.5
    Bennett 7
    Klose 7.5
    Olsson 7
    Jarvis 6
    Howson 7
    O’Neil 7
    Brady 7.5
    Naismith 6
    Mbokani 8

I thought Ruddy's kicking was atrocious a lot of the time, though he did manage to turn an almost certain goal round the post.

Canary Rob likes this.
  8. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Fair ratings Rob, although was Bennett so poor he doesn't deserve one? ;)

9. Canary Rob

I gave him a seven!

10. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Nice, balanced punditry by Shearer on MOTD. The result was apparently all down to Newcastle defending badly, never mind how well we attacked. And Howson apparently so clearly handled in the buildup to Olsson's winner that he had to say it three times, whilst the harshness of O'Neil's handball doesn't bear mentioning.

stilljaroldcanary and Canary Rob like this.

11. Canary Rob

Honestly.

It's a disgrace.

12. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

I'd go for:

Ruddy 6.5
    Wisdom 6.5
    Bennett 6.5
    Klose 8.5
    Olsson 7
    Jarvis 6.5
    Howson 7
    O’Neil 6.5
    Brady 7.5
    Naismith 7
    Mbokani 8.5

13. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

I believe Klose was given the MOM award which makes it 4 games in succession for him. is this some sort of record? Needless to say, I hope, and believe now, that we retain our PL status, just so we can retain his services.

14. ilovedelia

ilovedelia Well-Known Member

No mention of the mindless twats in the Geordie crowd who kept the ball and threw it on just as we were taking the free kick for the goal!

15. Canary Rob

Tbf I'd say more mindless twats in the opposition like this please if that's the effect... absolutely classic how it backfired by panicking their own team!

ilovedelia likes this.
  16. marknemo

marknemo Active Member

Some very harsh comments I am reading regarding the headed goal against Ruddy which was deflected and is why the ball looped up the way it did. His kicking was poor but he claimed crosses well in the first half and is much more of a presence than Rudd. He might not be perfect but he is definitely our best keeper and is much more vcoal than Rudd too.

carrowcanario and RiverEndRick like this.
  17. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

I totally agree Mark. Ruddy positioned himself for Mitrovic's header only to see it deflect off Bennett's head and out of his reach. Mitrovic doesn't loop gentle headers like that! Agree that Ruddy's kicking was poor, possibly affected by the sun in his eyes. This is a time when we need experience, not experimentation.

18. ilovedelia

No it wasn't, I sit in the N & P, when he was keeping at that end he was still kicking it into touch, mainly down the right side. I just wish people would stop making excuses for him doing that, its an awful part of his game!!

19. ilovedelia

That was the point I was making, why wasn't it mentioned by Smug face?

20. Canary Rob

Oh sorry I interpreted it as him being biased by not mentioning them being twats!

Probably because it was so embarrassing for them...