1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Early season odds for promotion and relegation

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by stretchyboy, May 31, 2018.

1. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Just seen the odds for next season - somehow we are 3rd favourites to get relegated after Bolton & Rotherham.
    I know we are bod, but jeez....are we seriously that bad?
    Could be an omen in that Shrewsbury were favourites for relegation and managed a play off final

2. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

There are not really any obviously weak teams this time. That's why I reckon Stoke and particularly Swansea may find themselves in trouble. Probably we can predict 6 or 8 of the top ten, then we can name a few teams we'd expect to finish mid-table. After that any of the bottom 12-14 teams could be relegated or make the play offs - I'd say it's impossible to call.

3. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I think the poor odds reflect the fact a lot of neutrals expect us to have a poor season after McCarthy's departure and have subsequently tipped us to go down. The national media made it look like we were stuffed without him and that we were ungrateful for his time here (despite finishing four points off the drop zone two years ago). I guess Hurst isn't exactly a household name either, despite his rising reputation within the game.

For the record, I don't think we'll go down and I don't think we'll go up. Another mid-table finish looks likely at this stage, but we'll be able to judge more accurately after we've conducted our transfer business and I'm expecting a summer of further change in the playing squad.

4. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

He will be sacked by November!

5. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

I would say due to Hurst having to -

Essentially he's inherited a Mick squad. He's got to replace that with naff all budget for a squad he wants. There's bound to be 4 / 5 players straight away he thinks ' not in a month of Sundays ' for me and doesn't fancy.

I maintain 99.99999% sure Bart will be sold too - and that won't help. Player of the year for the past 3 seasons........big shoes to fill.

Sure, our squad isn't 22nd I wouldn't say - however we're incredibly over reliant on certain people being fit.

We're also going to be behind rivals with transfer dealings, making it an uphill start.

May not be very popular the bookies doing this, however I'm not massively surprised at to why.

See who we get in. Interesting summer ahead. I'm hopeful we could be a surprise package / do very well however far too many variables about now. Like many of you have said on many a thread, mad league this. Very difficult to predict where we'll come.

At the minute, I'd say 8th is probably our highest at an absolute push = and 23rd if s hits the fan. I have absolutely zero clue how we'll do.

6. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

A load of League1 League2 and Non league misfits I reckon!

7. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Rather that than prem mercenaries and championship journeymen....

8. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

There are certainly sensible reasons behind the odds, but I do question whether they would have said that if we went with Lampard.

This early on its impossible to tell, bookies are reflecting our lack of media status. If you were an outsider looking in would you put your wages on Ipswich town to do well?

9. Westlake33

That's just it Mike - I think an outsider may think

* No Mick no ££££ Ipswich screwed.

While okay - MAYBE - I think IF we can keep certain people fit - I mean take Dozzell he would have been worth a few points alone / surely Huws + Adeyemi will contribute more? Hopefully Webster too.

Pleased to see the back of McGoldrick + Hyam - we cannot have 5/6 first 18 made of glass. Bishop's a wildcard = don't mind one but not 4/5.

Maintain Bart WILL be off - so big shoes to fill.

Really no idea what will happen.

One thing I AM VERY interested in - and like Mick / hate him he ran a very tight ship with pretty much zero media links. We never had a clue who Mick was getting in / then all of a sudden BANG new signing DONE.

I DON'T want us going back to the Magilton / Jewell days where the world knows who we've bid for and a deal doesn't get done. So hopefully Hurst is able to keep a tight ship without worms rocking the boat.

( I'd LOVE to know transfer targets but in reality us knowing doesn't help the club any )

10. Westlake33

Had a punt on Forest E/W to win the league 5 weeks ago at 20-1 with them likely to spunk the ££££.

Into 11 / 12s now, value £££ if nothing else.

Not sure why Brentford so high up, they splashing their wallet a bit ?

11. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Bart and Waghorn heavily linked with moves away recently. Birmingham bid £2.75m for Bart, which was obviously rejected, and then Brum look like they're getting hit with a transfer embargo.

The lack of incoming transfers is unsettling me a bit. I had hoped that a majority of our business would have been completed around now, as there are a few holes in this squad (particularly with Webster being sold). We're linked with the centre-back Curtis Tilt from Blackpool, who is highly-rated and won Player of the Year there. Signing him would be a good idea, but apparently we're put off by the £1m valuation ...

12. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Naarwich have signed Rhodes on Season long loan,had to laugh!

13. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

He was good four years ago...

14. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

I don't know what's haopened to Rhodes. Was definitely one of the best forwards outside the prem, but the last few years has been average at best, and looks so uninterested .

15. Westlake33

Been on deals on £40-50k p.w for years. Hmmmm, I wonder why he's not too bothered.

16. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

One of the best finishers outside the prem but not the best forward.....imo.

He is lazy in all but trying to score a goal...........great players put in a shift in every part of the game.

17. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Not worried about Rhodes hes done nothing since he left Huddersfield and as Westy says hes been on BIG money for years so very little motivation, and as for our friends up the road, well they are loaded once again so are desperately trying to buy their way out of this division, but as much as I applaud ambition I don't think Rhodes is the answer unless someone can fire him up.
    I too am a bit concerned about the lack of new players coming into the Club, the new season really is just around the corner, and after Evans has appointed Hurst and " deputy " Doig I would like to see them backed with some transfer funds from the Webster cash to give them a decent start instead of the now traditional threadbare struggle to find players which is so representative of a car boot sale.

18. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Don't be. There are still almost two months of the transfer window, Hurst is getting to know what he already has and there are unlikely to be wholesale changes.

If we keep Bart and make two or three more signings that go straight into the first team that's as much as I would want us to do this window.

I would like to see us prioritise signing a CDM.

19. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

I'm not looking for wholesale changes yorkie and as been said earlier there are players to return such as Dozell, Huws, Adeyemi etc, I just want something to enthuse the fans and create rivalry for places and I suppose a fresh start.

20. Westlake33

Adeyemi fit!??! I wouldn't hold your breathe mate utter waste of £££.

I couldn't tell you if he's any good! Zero idea.

Dozza should be fit though and surely should get more minutes out of Huws this term!?

Bishop + Adeyemi I'm just going to put in the bonus category interms of minutes. Going to expect zero contribution from both all season.