1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Dwight Gayle

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Sammy's Silky Skills, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Sammy's Silky Skills

Sammy's Silky Skills Well-Known Member

Many are calling for him to be sold in January and I’m starting to agree. He seems to be permanently crocked either physically or mentally and is nothing more than a passenger for us right now. Time to say ‘thanks Dwight’ and replace him with someone who can string a number of games together for us, and more importantly someone who is an upgrade.

Marra SAFC 77 likes this.
  2. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

Should've taken the 12 mil leeds were offering in august instead of holding out for 15, can't see him getting anything like 12 now.

Knew he'd end up like this, he couldn't even be a regular in the championship, so he's got no chance in the prem.

3. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Fulham could have gone to £15m and we should have snapped their hand off then dealt with the consequences.

4. KazakhToon

KazakhToon Well-Known Member

We weren't in a position to sell without a replacement. If we'd gone into the new season with Mitro and Joselu as our only strikers, there'd have been fan protests. It was the right decision to keep him in the summer, but we should definitely sell in Jan. I wonder if there's a Championship club in dire need of a reliable striker?

Edit, in dire need of a new first XI?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  5. Fork Handles

Fork Handles Well-Known Member

Let's wait until the transfer window opens before deciding on the merits of this. Still think he's our best when fully fit. He's earned some patience.

6. RobEllious

RobEllious Well-Known Member

I know we've got a myriad of wingers but couldn't it have been handier bringing him on instead of Murphy and keeping Joselu on against south'ton. It just seems regularly ignored he looked quite adept as a PL winger. I know it's starting to look like it's all in his head, but we've got him til January either way. Looks like he's on course to go for half that 15 mill as predicted at this rate

7. RobEllious

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Imagine the ****fit we'd all have had if we'd sold Gayle with no replacement before the window's end. Benitez might well have walked over that one.

8. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Let's see what January brings.
    don't forget chaps... he's a Premiership striker now...

9. Seabass

Seabass Well-Known Member

Yeah I think he needs to go. Feel like it's a bit late now though. I think it will be hard getting good money

10. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The money they have they couldn’t afford his big toe.

11. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

One of the reasons he didn't leave in the summer was that he told the club he wanted to stay? Would it be any different now?

12. cronemeister

cronemeister Well-Known Member

Given his pitch time thus far this season I would be inclined to disagree with you there mate. In fairness and with hindsight, if Mitro really is that bad and really that out of favour, we should've kept Grant Murphy and sold Gayle for £12m.

The mitro thing baffles me, i get that he's a loose canon at times but i think this is more of out frustration and feeling that he has to prove himself constantly. If he was given a run of 10-15 games in the side I reckon we'd see a different player (mentally) altogether. He links up well with Perez as well which can only be a good thing for Perez as he's been woeful (goal aside last week) for the vast majority of the games he's been involved in so far.

13. KazakhToon

KazakhToon Well-Known Member

I don't think it was foreseen that Gayle would be so peripheral this season. He was central to the team for most of last year and it looked from the press releases through the summer like we wouldn't have the funds to get an upgrade from him prior to selling him on. I'm also thinking it's possible that those in charge looked at the stupid money being thrown around and thought we were being lowballed.

Mitro I like, but he needs to be more consistent. I agree that he feels pressure to succeed and prove himself all the time, but come on, he's a PL footballer and he needs to rise to that challenge, especially at a club like this.

GeordieHalfbreed likes this.
  14. Consett Mag

Consett Mag Well-Known Member

I think it's a bit strong to write Gayle off as being useful to us so soon.
    He needs a goal to get his mojo back.

His goals got us a lot of points last season. Give him some time.

General Lee Speaking likes this.
  15. Geordie lass in the Fen

Geordie lass in the Fen Well-Known Member

Rafa can't give Mitro a run of 10/15 consequetive games as some keep suggesting, because the big daft lad keeps getting suspended!
    I would agree that when he does get a start he is want to try to hard, but he can try hard to keep his discipline too.
    Trust is a big issue and Mitro has done nothing to convince on this issue.

Warmir Pouchov and J. J. McClure like this.
  16. General Lee Speaking

Hard to rise to the challenge if he's not selected. Hes done himself no favours but he needs to at least be on the bench and given 'some minutes'.

He's still the best striker we have IMHO.

Warmir Pouchov likes this.
  17. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Think Palace is the perfect opportunity to give Mitro a start, Gayles calf/hamstring/mental issues playing up and Joselu for all he works hasn't taken a host of opportunities so far this term. One fumbled in goal and a tap in so far, Mitro's goal vs West Ham taking it around the keeper was better than anything Joselu has done so far.

18. RobEllious

In those minutes he could score a goal or get red-carded. Regardless of talent, that is a ridiculous thing to be saying of a striker. Does he not have more reds than all our defence in the last three year?
    I don't remember seeing him put in the kind of shift Joselu does either. The system is built around that. Perez is the best example; looks pretty gash on the attacking front but that's not really his job, becoming 'front line harrier' where his off-the-ball efforts are deemed more important than on it.
    I reckon that's why he's preffering to bring Gayle on n all. No attacking potency when he comes on, but I see him chasing every ball.

19. leez

leez Well-Known Member

gayle had a simple pass to make late on to put shelvey through .and he could not even do that ... not a prem player just a tap in man with no skill or strength.. goes missing when given a chance early on .. and can not operate as a lone striker ... just my view ..i would give mitro one last chance if he bollocks up ..just get rid of him ..

20. General Lee Speaking

He got 2 red cards in his first season and none since. Mitro works harder than he's given credit for.