1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Dull, boring and three points.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by invermeremike, Sep 9, 2017.

1. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

I had major problems today with the live stream and I think it is because of the slow internet speeds here in Canada but what I managed to see was boring beyond belief producing an ugly win. We will hopefully play a lot better than this and yet lose so the three points today are very welcome as it's above and beyond our normal tally at Reading. There is nothing major to comment on other than the fact we might have lost and we have Frankie to thank for his stellar part in the victory.

Once again I focused on the performance of our most expensive player and again I saw him wandering around pointing at spaces that he had no intention of going for and he looks totally disinterested and knackered. Where are the footballing skills we paid so highly for and when he was replaced (as usual) his body language was there for all to see. I just have this gut feeling that he will want out back to France at some time during this season and he could become a problem, or perhaps I have got it totally wrong and he will come good. I saw more footballing skills from Leko when he came on and let`s hope he is better equipped to live up to his promise.

Brilliant 3 points in my books and well done the red lads behind the goal.

2. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Streaming shows a different game then. I thought Reading was dull and their support pathetic but we rode the game well broke them down.

3. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Clearly it does then ROD but I must confess Reading were not even close to being the team I expected. We had about 40% of the play and low shots on target and generally I thought it was a lifeless match but we'll take the points wherever and however we can and this was that kind of outing.

4. RedorDead

I really enjoyed the second half when Reid and Patterson started buzzing around. The new forward IMO will take time but I think people are thinking he's a Kodjia, Abraham player but he mores of a Wilbraham player. I bet if you speak to the opposing teams defenders they will remember him. It's a different league the championship to what he's been used to so let's at least give him a season to settle.

They didn't play well because we hurried them, and got at them.

5. Red Hub

Red Hub Active Member

I thought he was more mobile today and won more headers. Work in progress, but saw a definite improvement.

RedorDead likes this.
  6. tiger-emyrs-wolf

tiger-emyrs-wolf Well-Known Member

Needs to attack the ball more too many times he's not ready to head it

7. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I'm well known for being a critic of Johnson management style but bugger me a win is a win, especially at Reading, so well done LJ and the boys, 3 points will do me.
    I retain my right as a non believer though..:mad:

Supcon72, AshtonRed and RedorDead like this.
  8. RedorDead

Would like to point out, I've yet to see us lose live this season. So if I'm the lucky charm this year, can you all send me money to go to all the away games please. ;)

9. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Spot on Wiz. My feelings exactly

10. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

No Redprintt today......

11. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

drowning his sorrows in a barrel of cider vinegar ?:emoticon-0100-smile

12. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

Good win , a few more like that you never know may even start to bring around some of us non believers. Will Flint start now do we think , or back to the bench?

13. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Hard to drop him after that - I guess the justification for Wright not starting was him playing for Australia, but being captain, you'd expect him to start on Tuesday. That leaves a straight fight between Flint & Baker (all whilst Magnusson & Hegeler cry in the corner).

14. RedorDead

Don't get this Captain stuff. Just take the past three seasons as excamples. Wade Elliott was a starter for half to two thirds then bit part player then Wilbraham for the past two seasons. He was never the first player on the sheet.
    If Flint plays well then he should keep his place in my opinion not lose it just because of club captain policy.

manxrobin likes this.
  15. Alandicksthegreat

Alandicksthegreat Well-Known Member

Nice to see Wiz, LJ may win you round yet, maybe 8 or 9 wins on the trot may do it, well we can all dream can't we.

16. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Get up to Wolves then I can take another picture <laugh>

17. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I am just being honest, if and when it goes the other way I will be the first in the queue to say but I will still be honest, not blinkered.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  18. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

If we end up in the top half of the table then I will be satisfied that progress is being made, but still NOT convinced that LJ was the right choice.

Playoffs or promotion then yes, he was/is and I was wrong. Let's hope so.

In the meantime I will continue to give praise when it's due and criticism when due - he is just another BCFC manager to me and none of them have managed to achieve what Alan Dicks did - yet - in fact many of them have taken us down, so Lee is not the worst we have had by a long shot.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Red Robin and NickH like this.
  19. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Though I understand those that have misgivings about LJ, I think there's something slightly sinister about waiting for something to go wrong in order to go 'see, I was right, he's terrible' - I know no one's willing the team to lose or do badly, but there is that undercurrent of 'insurance'. LJ can only 'prove people wrong' if he significantly over-achieves, i.e. wins promotion.

Whilst I have no doubt that a manager is important to a team's success, I do wonder exactly how much & whether they're correctly identified as the primary reason for success or failure. I was livid last season when we threw away a 2-1 lead to lose 3-2 against Cardiff at home & that was the point on the 'LJ out' side, yet he was kept by the board & turned it around for the end of the season & started this one decently. Avram Grant was within a John Terry slip of winning the Champions League, & the same Roberto Di Matteo who did win it, wasn't good enough to manage Aston Villa in the Championship...

The difficulty comes in speculating what might have happened if something else had occurred, & obviously nobody knows for sure. Maybe under someone like Mark Warburton we'd be on 18 points (however unlikely that might be), or maybe we'd have someone who would have wanted to bring in their own players & we'd be sitting here with a bloated squad, under performing like the McInnes days, who is either doing a very good or bad job, depending on who you ask.

I'm trying to balance pragmatism with not accepting mediocrity - the thing is, if you say 'we haven't achieved what we wanted to do, so rip it all up & try again &/or try throwing money at it', you're maybe bring delusional to what's realistic, or undoing a good amount of progress because you're greedy for more.

As with most, I'll say 'wait & see' - I don't think there's a magic wand that will suddenly make us a Premier League side, but accepting not achieving that dream year after year after year is perhaps equally negligent. I remain optimistic that we can do it within the foreseeable future - if we haven't spent at least one season in the top flight within the next 6 or 7 maybe, then I'd be disappointed.

20. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

LJ could get us promoted to the Prem this season or next and there are still many on here who will say he failed as he said we could be in Europe in 5 years, albeit he said it tongue-in-cheek!

If you search for a negative you will always find one!!