1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Donald responds to panicking fans...

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

@stewartdonald3 We had too big a squad last season maybe?? We finished the season with 8 CM's we can only play 2/3!!! I have never seen such panic a week before 20 pros return to training. The issue is not signing players but whether we sign the right ones surely!!!

I see his point which is why i thought signing Leadbitter would be a mistake. We already had Catts, Mumba and Mcgeouch to play the role in midfield he does.
    We now have Ethan Robson back, so trimming the midfield is a must. Mcgeouch has just extended his stay with us, so surely Catts time at the club must be over now?

ONien will more than likely be played back in midfield after we bring in a new RB so hopefully that may signal the end for Honeyman aswell.

Mumba will be loaned out for sure next season and Embleton will replace his as back up to the first team squad.

2. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

I have a feeling JR would be quite happy to play O9 at RB and that would give him time to find another player for that position.
    Other than giving us a goal scoring ability with his corner kick deliveries Leadbitter struggled to cope imo.
    The clutch of matches in April was too much for him when we needed his calming influence the most. At 33 he was a gamble which didn't come off really in the overall six months or so since he signed.
    Striker and CH are a must and we need a back up keeper as well.
    I'd like to think we'll see a different Will Grigg next season and I had high hopes for Charlie Wyke but unless they can put their injuries behind them and get fully fit pre season that makes us needing another striker a must.
    Stay away from loan signings and give some of our promising youngsters a go.
    A signing early doors would calm a lot of fans down.

3. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

I dont care which midfielder leaves as long as it is not Mcgeady. We do need a striker and a strapping 6'5" defender plus a creative midfielder.

4. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

Is this another Monty identity?

5. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

Its his boyfriend.

6. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

He's spot on though with what we need for the start of the season.

7. The Little General

The Little General Well-Known Member

Cattermole is like the turd that won't flush, he's going nowhere.

8. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

Much like your commemts about one of OUR players, weeBobby <doh>

9. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

I got laced for saying that on Twitter! I watched him give the ball away loads one game and get lauded for one decent pass from 8 attempts. (It was a worldy mind) and then, amazingly, watched Catts get laced for one poor pass from 10! Some of our fans are mint!!

10. The Little General

The Little General Well-Known Member

Tongue in cheek, Gordon, too quiet on here this time of year.

11. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Social media is full of our great fans slagging everyone associated with the club off and that is before a ball has been kicked.. we have no chance of succeeding with all the negativity around..

12. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

As sad as that is surely it's the case that every club is as bad for it more or less? Don't see why Sunderland fans should be any worse than any others especially given how well supported the team is on match day.

13. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Pales into insignificance when you see the sobbing, snorting, wailing and gnashing of teeth from the Mags everywhere on Twitter.

14. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

We have the numbers on match day but are rarely well supported vocally these days.. The same ones doing all the negativity on social media will no doubt be the same ones on players backs as soon as a misplaced pass is done.

15. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I guess a lot of fans think the same about their own support that it's too quiet, the only bit of data I've seen on it had us as one of the best for loudness of support, but that was probably ago before the dark times rolled in.

Nads likes this.
  16. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I genuinely doubt the gobshites on twitter ever go to the SOL mate.

polyphemus likes this.
  17. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Is anyone going along to this?

18. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Roker Report were at tonight's Stewart Donald talk in at The Blue Bell.

"It took me ten days to get over the play-off defeat... you have to get over feeling sorry for yourself and get on with the job"
    "There was less expectation last year, rightly so, this year you can feel the expectation already"
    On bringing investors into the club- "maybe. Look at what we say, not what the paper say. Long term we need investment. Do we need it this year? No. Do we need it next year? No. Its required long term"
    "I would expect to be Chairman for the next 4-5 years, but only if it's right for the club"
    "I'll stay at Sunderland as long as I'm wanted."
    "We think we can raise investment with the same ethos for years to come, with us involved"
    On Mark Campbell - "loads of people have expressed an interest. Up to 14. Theres loads of interest but it's a case of a) will you move to the area. B) what's the plan etc etc. That cuts out 95% of people and there's one or two that remain"
    On investment "will we do something this summer? Maybe. But I'm not sure there's a better option than us at the moment."
    On stadium naming rights - "we had an offer, but it's a little bit selling your soul. It has to sound right, but if it gives you a little money to sign some players. I think if we sell it, it should be to a premier brand"
    Transfers - "We have somebody. We have three players possibly and I would imagine by Monday the first signing will be announced"
    "Elliott (Embleton) wants assurances he will play and has been offered a 2 year deal. Benji we want to tie down. Jack has told me he wants a 20 man squad with youngsters around it. Ethan, Denver are included in that"
    "We want 6-8 players and they have to be better than what we have now"
    On Cattermole "you have lads on different wages, some on more, some on less. You have to keep that team happy and build team spirit, and togetherness. It's difficult when you have players on different ends of the spectrum, but that's down to Jack to manage it"
    Catts testimonial- "We can have a testimonial for Lee, but it has to be driven by the player"
    "Will you be the Chairman next year?" "Yes I will"
    "We have a home friendly that we be announced over the weekend. A foreign team at home"
    "No plans to move the away fans. But seeing the Sunderland fans below being subjected to that means we are reviewing it"
    "If we restrict the likes of Coventry and Portsmouth fans coming, then they restrict ours. So we need to manage. We didn't manage the Coventry situation

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  19. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Imagine having your stadium renamed to some dogshit brand like Sports Direct, absolute nightmare.

gelders pie, RTB, rooch 3 and 2 others like this.
  20. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Football has gone wrong mate.

Our poorest support, home and away, is often in front of the bigger crowds.

Away games at places like Blackpool, Coventry, etc, when we've taken big numbers, have been strangely quiet.

The same has happened at home games when bigger numbers don't increase the volume.

This is the same at grounds all over the country when the big home gates often produce the worst atmosphere ... Old Trafford, the Emirates, SJP, etc are ridiculously quiet considering the huge numbers they have.

Supporters, these days, are too well informed and know they're just cash for the owners and a backdrop for Sky. The players may kiss the badge but they'll kiss the club goodbye for a few dollars more.

The heart has gone out of the game or, at least, its harder to pretend it's all relevant these days. When ordinary players fetch £50 million, and are paid outrageous wages, supporters know they're no longer 'one of us'.

The 'improvements' to the game are what's killing it.

Newcastle supporters are always moaning about how unfair it is that the likes of Man City have mega rich backers enabling them to win everything ... yet they're desperate for the same mega rich backers irrespective of their motives, nationality or morality. All supporters are the same, it's hilarious seeing Arsenal supporters whinging about City buying success.

It's the death of football by a thousand cuts, I could give hundreds more examples of why but it's sad to write them down. Perhaps it's always been fake but nowadays we know far too much to pretend it's not.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019