1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Does He Really Deserve Another Transfer Window?'

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Dec 3, 2018.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

'Lee Johnson failings cost Bristol City vs Millwall - does he really deserve another transfer window?'
    Robins fan Math Withers gives the view from the stands

I can’t help but be disappointed after we let a lead slip against an injury ravaged Millwall who were absolutely there for the taking.

After taking the lead Bristol City should have gone on to make the points safe and I blame Lee Johnson and his assistants for not making the substitutions earlier than they did and injecting some more pace into the side.

Callum O’Dowda and Marley Watkins were stripped off and ready on the side-lines for a good few minutes before the changes were made. We had Millwall pinned in the corner and should have made the changes when we were in the attacking third.

Instead we delayed and Millwall scored from the resulting play. Johnson wanted to make the changes but delayed them and it went on to cost us.

Okay, so the defending that led to the Millwall equaliser was poor but had the subs been made, perhaps O’Dowda or Watkins would have closed the ball down and not allowed the Lions defender to play the long diagonal that allowed the experienced stalwart Steve Morison to outmuscle Lloyd Kelly and knock the ball down for the on rushing Shaun Williams to volley in the goal.

Johnson said that Lloyd will learn from it but made no mention of Famara Diédhiou not busting a gut to stop the long diagonal or no mention of either Marlon Pack or Josh Brownhill picking following Williams run and no mention of Tomas Kalas or Adam Webster anticipating the knock down. It’s far easier to pick out the youngster.

Lloyd Kelly along With Niclas Eliasson were the two bright lights in an otherwise uninspiring home game.

Josh Brownhill was recalled after his one match ban following his sending off away at Leeds United last weekend which was always going to happen especially with Liam Walsh going off injured against Ipswich Town on Wednesday and now likely to be out for a number of weeks with knee ligament damage. Josh had a decent return.

There was no surprise to see Famara Diédhiou recalled to the starting line-up after a good second half showing and major contribution in the win at Portman Road.

Playing only one up front at home in Diédhiou was a talking point, I would prefer to see us play two up front but the quandary is which two to play? Matty Taylor is out injured, the inexperienced Mo Eisa is coming back from injury and Andreas Weimann is out of form. I actually think that LJ got the starting line up right.

Niclas Eliasson showed that he offers more of a threat when played wide left. There is no doubt that switching flanks during a game can give the opposition something different to think about but if a left footed player plays on the right he has to come inside and that slows the play down and is often easier to defend.

It was good to see Eliasson and also Lloyd Kelly go outside their man and whip crosses in and it was no coincidence that like Wednesday this led to the Bristol City goal.

Famara took a bit of stick from the stands again but he is the only real physical presence that we have up front and I would have kept him on. Once again today showed that the decision to release Milan Djuric and not replace him was a poor one.

I genuinely couldn’t see Millwall getting anything out of the game, they had offered very little and I honestly felt that if City moved the ball quicker and got it out wide we would score a second.

I’m still struggling to see the tempo that we had this time last year, of course Bobby Reid was a major reason why we played at the level we did but that doesn’t explain why we play the number of passes that we do across the back and why we don’t move it quicker.

At times today you had Marlon Pack, Josh Brownhill and Jamie Paterson all in our defensive third looking to pick the ball up from the defenders. Paterson who has been very good in the last two games needed to be closer to Famara, too often the Big Number 9 was left isolated.

In the post-match interview Lee Johnson said that we are building a new side for the third or fourth time since he has been here, well who is that down to?

It’s Johnson that has signed over 40 players. I am getting fed up of hearing that this is a new team, when will they no longer be a new team Lee?

Johnson was also asked about the January transfer window and said that “we’re looking for a nine and a half and somebody to get across the box and finish the chances. We need a spark - whether that comes from outside the club or maybe within.”

Crikey! If it’s someone within the club you have to ask why they aren’t in the side now.

The Bristol City head coach has said that if we need to trade we will trade and so I fully expect Lloyd Kelly to be sold. I just hope that when the New Year’s Eve bells have finished tolling, we have someone signing on the dotted line but I somehow doubt it.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lee-johnson-failings-cost-bristol-2287104

2. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Lloyd Kelly being sold ? Another LJ didn't sign.
    I wonder if any of LJ scattergun signings will be wanted by Championship clubs.

Paulton might be interested.

3. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I thought we weren’t a selling club?

4. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

5. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

What Johnson wants in January
    We’re looking at that sort of creativity element of the nine and a half - the one who can do a bit of both, and you’re looking for someone to get across people in the box and finish chances.

Last year we had some good movement in the box with the two strikers. Today we played one or three depending on how you look at - strikers - but it shouldn’t change your attacking intent because it’s bodies in the box is the question, whether it’s a one or a two or a three - it depends how many bodies you’ve got in the box when a particular cross comes in.

6. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

LLOYD is not a LJ signing he is product of the academy and will be worth double /treble Flint was in a year or so …..
    We are supposed to be building a team, it could well be that SL has a plan that to make us debt free we had to balance the books by splitting up a potentially well above average team last season. We build another team or close to it by getting our academy players up to speed, by repeating the process again this year?
    It will be very hard this season for any team to finish top 6, so far no team has run away with the top 1 -3 positions as been seen in the past couple ……….
    Norwich and Leeds have just pulled away with 5 and 4 points, the biggest gap in the division save Ipswich, still within the 6 pt threshold of a chasing team needing 3 games to make a difference ..
    Leeds have had some wicked luck in their last 3 games, and could easily be in 5th or 6th ! the gap at the top then being Norwich 5 points clear!
    I think we were all pretty close with our pre season predictions, to where we might finish EOS... top half, 32 pts to 20 pts is the current 6pt threshold. Come new year we will be somewhere between 10th and 18th....

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  7. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Does He Really Deserve Another Transfer Window?'

No, not in my opinion.

LJ had the number of windows that he asked for along with supporters patience during that time, while he built a squad capable of really challenging or so we were told.

Whether he got all of the latter is debateable, but there you go.

But he's had his chance for me and it's not been a blinding success, and so far, and despite overseeing the worst run in the clubs history he's still got a lot longer time to give it a go than a lot of Managers would have got at other clubs. He also had more financial resources at his disposal too then any previous incumbent, but let's face it, we're no further on, and all of the best players have been sold and have been replaced by average at best performers instead.

In my humble opinion we now need a proven Championship Manager, if the owner is actually serious about wanting top flight football before we all die. LJ is not that man and I have serious doubts whether he will be elsewhere either, assuming he gets another job at this level.

I'm not saying I have a name other than someone like David Moyes or a Neil Warnock type, but that's always in the hope the owner were to push the boat out and could stand someone telling him some home truths maybe to achieve the goal.

The fact is that Johnson also hasn't had any real admirers in terms of other clubs wanting to poach him during his tenure here, and doesn't appear to be capable of consistency or creativity in his approach or tactics either.

However I've still got a nasty feeling that the owner is quite happy with where we are and who is in charge even though we're liable to lose the next 3 games as well.

8. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

So long as we don't get drawn into a relegation battle, I'm happy with LJ to have at least another window.....I don't see anyone else at present coming in without spending an absolute fortune to do that much better...Bruce would be my choice if he was booted, but he would spend for fun with no guarantees..i.e Villa!!

9. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

But he's done it with Hull and Sunderland......why not us ?

10. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

You may well be right he may not deserve to be given more money , the trouble is your view is hardly objective is it ?

11. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

I’m not decided , I think I’m coming to the view I wouldn’t give him anything in Jan . I think he’s had enough he should be made to work with what he’s got . The trouble is you could end up cutting off your nose to spite your face.

12. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Both clubs had been in the Premiership so had parachute money to use......not sure he would get that type of backing from SL.......But yes, I believe he would do a job with us............not sure he would come..

13. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Phil Brown also done it with Hull, do you want him?

But I do like your no he’s not having anymore money to spend in transfer window. Bit like he’s been a very naughty boy so he’s not having any pocket-money

14. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

we had the squad we had results including a win v MAN u and the powers that be flogged them off

15. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Because at those clubs he's had 2 or 3 times what LJ has had to spend. Some people on here can't see the wood for the trees....

If LJ goes, the next manager will

a. need to spend big, it's just the way it is to survive, let alone compete in the Championship
    b. Sign duds, all managers do

But he won't be called Johnson, so all that will be forgotten.

16. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not sure about that, there's always Boris......<laugh><laugh>

Supcon72 likes this.
  17. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Well he wouldn't need to worry about going into Europe with us...<laugh><laugh><laugh>

Oldsparkey likes this.
  18. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

After last night I don't think we will either with Warnock.....<laugh>

19. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Under SC we had Fielding, Ayling, Flint, Baker, Williams, Bryan, Pack, Korey, Freeman, Wilbraham and Kodija.
    At least 7 of the above, possibly 8 maybe 9, would arguably get in today's team.

After 3 years of LJ coaching, 40plus signings and the best part of £50million spent are we better ?

20. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Nope