1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Does anyone else fear for us next season?

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Spanish, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

After that showing against Sheffield Utd, I honestly think that we are in bigger trouble than most of us thought. We are so weak in all areas, its shocking. We will get battered in league 1 and I honestly can't see a way out of it.
    The amount of investment that would be needed,to get us challenging is just not going to be made available. I would say we would need to bring in at least 7 players, that are of better quality than we have and that ain't gonna happen!
    From what I have seen...the defence needs a complete overhaul, there is not one of them I would keep. The midfield is not quite as bad and when everyone is fit, we will probably be ok. We have to bring in at least 2 new strikers but we can't afford the quality needed nor would the quality needed probably want to come to us.
    For me....the future is very gloomy and whoever is in charge will have a massive job on their hands, i expect another relegation battle.
    Thanks Messrs McCarthy, Hurst and Evans, between you, you have destroyed our once admired football club!

2. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Spot on Spanish it's impossible to win matches with a lousy defence and useless strikers, I think Lg1 defenders will kick our lightweights off the park while their forwards knock lumps off our defence.
    As you say without a complete overhaul we are going nowhere but down and Evans record of under investment hardly inspires confidence.

johnnywarksmoustache and Spanish like this.
  3. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

We’ve been awful since our relegation has been confirmed. As bad as the defeat to Sheffield United has been, we looked even worse against Preston. And Lambert needs to take his responsibility for his part of the mess. They all do - Evans and Hurst particularly. As well as the players.

The club is in a really poor position and I think some supporters (not on here, but TWTD for example) are deluding themselves by not realising this and believing League One will be a walk in the park. It won’t be. It’ll be hard work and I’ve been saying it for months, but we need serious investment in this squad if we are to achieve anything next season. Making do with our youth and believing the existing squad is good enough won’t cut it!

4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

I will be pleasantly surprised if we bounce straight back and I think a play off finish would be enough to stop the rot. If we end up with three or four loanees in the side then forget it, we've learned nothing. If we start on the right track by signing two or three quality players in the summer and Woolfy is back in the side then I'll take that. But if we don't do that and we have a poor start then there is a real danger we could be pulled down another level, nobody should be complacent about that. We are a significantly worse side than Sunderland were last season and they look to be missing out. If they don't make it up through the play offs chances are there will only be one automatic place up for grabs next season.

5. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

My big fear is that when we don’t bounce straight back (which I think is the most realistic scenario) the squad will be eroded each successive Season and we’ll be mired in League One, or worse for the foreseeable future.

6. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

For me, it’s all about August. If we start well, fans will be right behind the team & I think we’ll have a successful season. If we start poorly, everything could go to pot very quickly

itfcptc and fieldmarshall like this.
  7. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

That sounds familiar. When you think about it it's incredible just how costly not taking our chances against Rotherham in August proved to be. 63% possession away from home, 12 corners to zero, 16 shots and then hit by an injury time sucker punch. The narrative became about finding that first win week after week - and the rest is history. On the opening day Bart fumbled an easy ball.

6 points on the board and the Exeter debacle wouldn't have followed - the whole season would have been very different.

It has never just been about personnel and next year will be no different.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  8. Nuggets

It’s about more than that for me, Royston. Obviously a great start is better than an average or poor one, but I’d like to see a clear signal of intent in the summer transfer window and signs that Evans has recognised the issues around his ownership and has taken steps to rectify them.

We had a brilliant August in Mick’s last season, which helped paper over some of the issues that have become evident this year. Our inability to build on that month and our subsequent reversion to grinding out results and being unable to dominate matches just proves how behind the curve we are in modern football. We’ve got to look a lot more comfortable on the ball next season, otherwise we won’t get anywhere, even if we manage a good run in August. We’ve got to start phasing the likes of Chambers and Skuse out of this team and start moving forwards with a competitive, attacking football philosophy. If Norwich, Sheffield United, Birmingham, and Brentford can do it on a budget, then there’s no reason why we can’t aspire and replicate that over the next few years.

9. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

Regarding micks last season. The reason for the great start was that we scored from something like 9 of our 11 shots. What I’m hoping for is not just picking up points but the performances to go with it. Lambert has got very good pr skills but now comes the acid test. He has stated that we won’t be over using the loan market so as (most people believe) Evans won’t give him large sums of money to spend, he is going to have to find players that will improve the team at limited cost. The minimum we need is 2 full backs & 2 strikers + a goalie if Bart leaves. We need to get this business done early in the summer so that the team has time to gel

10. Fat Boy Slim

Fat Boy Slim Member

I've always tended to lurk in the background on this forum. Despite being a fan for well over 40 years I don't get to many games these days so don't feel i'm overly qualified to pass judgement on how well the team has played. However, what I will say is i'm shocked when I read on social media and various websites at how many fans think we will come straight back up. We are rock bottom of the championship with 28 points which equates to mid table in league 1. People seem to be blinded by our past success and think we are too big a club to struggle in L1. Let's face it, we are not an attractive proposition to players or a potential buyer right now and we seem to be in freefall.

I fully expect us to struggle next season. Motivating the players we have seem's to be an impossible task. Are they really that poor or is it Lambert that is failing to motivate them? I guess we will know the answer to that next season based on the fact most of them were playing in L1 when Hurst bought them. If they can't cut their cloth next year then Lambert has to take some responsibility for that.

Will Evans open his moth infested wallet? No he won't. Why would he? He hasn't done anything to suggest that he is going to change anytime soon. When Hurst was appointed I was quite excited until I heard him open his mouth. Then when Lambert was appointed I thought we might go somewhere despite his recent failings in the Prem league but so far i've seen nothing to suggest we are getting better and the positive spin he tries to put on things has worn a little thin now.

I'm not seeing anything positive coming out of the club that fills me with hope.

11. Nuggets

Fair points, agreed with most of that. Please keep posting more.

12. Bigalreigned

Good to have your input,I’m not hopeful about next Season either.

13. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

I dont share everyone's pessimism on here.
    I think we'll be fine next season for a minimum play off place..but, only of we sign a couple of decent strikers, that's imperative.
    If we can also add two decent full backs, then maybe a top two is not out of the question.
    We've lacked fight lately, purely because our confidence was short and we've been as good as down for the last couple of months. If we can get those players in, good a get start....then I think we'll be up.
    I appreciate it's all ifs and buts, but I'm confident we'll be ok

14. Bigalreigned

I'll have what you're on Stretchy!

15. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

If you take the squad we have today, take out all the loan players, then yes, we'll struggle for top 6, but I have surprising confidence that we'll sign a few players that will take us to 6th at least. As I said, two strikers and two full backs and we'll be fine

16. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Getting rid of that useless Tw@t Chambers will be a good start and he can take the rest of McCarthy's "proper blokes" with him.

17. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I will do the same thing I do every summer - have blind faith and optimism. We do need to strengthen far more than full backs and strikers and we could have got a couple of those players in January rather than the pointless loans. The main thing we need to change in our attitude is the firefighting.

On paper I’m afraid that Fat Boy Slim’s assessment is pretty accurate but with the exception of those who have major issues off the pitch (and I do fear for Bolton at this point), no club of our stature has been down there for more than a few seasons so I do take some comfort from that.

Our size, history and support doesn't give us a bye in games but it should attract and motivate players.

18. Nuggets

Judging by Evans' statement, he believes this squad is good enough as it is and that the academy boys will be provided with opportunities next season. I am worried that he believes he doesn't need to invest in a squad that is clearly crying out for widespread improvements, especially if a third of the squad leave after expired loans and contracts. In League One, we will be one of the richer clubs in the league, and I think we need to use that, and our status as one of the bigger names in the third tier, to attract what talent we can and recruit improvements in the areas of the pitch where we need it most - namely full backs, defensive midfield, strikers, and then squad depth for out wide and at centre-back.

19. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Is there a new statement nuggets or is this the one from a few weeks ago?

20. Nuggets

The one from a few weeks ago. Hopefully recent results and performances will make him change his mind, and realise that investment in the playing squad is now a necessity. However, knowing our owner and his aversion to spending money, I highly doubt it.