1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Do We Miss Bent

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Steven Royston O'Neill, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Steven Royston O'Neill

Steven Royston O'Neill Well-Known Member

Serious question, yes I know about the judas thing and his goals but, looking at who our manager is and the style of play he likes, do we miss him?

We know we made a team around him to make the most of his scoring ability but would we now, would he fit our present style?

First thought of most falls into one of two camps,,

He let us down so dont want him back.

or

We miss his goals and do want him back.

Thats why I ask to put how he left to one side and again ask, would he score those goals in the present team.

2. Patthemackem

Patthemackem Member

bent will always score goals in any team, he's not our player any more, he never will be again, lets move on from this money grabbing whore eh?

3. Davie 1973

Davie 1973 Well-Known Member

Yes we do miss him.

Villa will miss him too when he moves on , which he will do soon.

4. Cest Advocaat

Cest Advocaat Well-Known Member

I think Gyan would fit our style much more these days personally.

However, in answer to the question. Any team would miss a proven 20 goal a season striker. We have struggled since if left and the previous manager lost his job because of it.

The current manager won't lose his by not having him though.

5. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

We could do with someone who can score goals like Bent, but I would imagine he is not good for team spirit, so therefore on balance I would say no..

6. mitchthemakem

mitchthemakem Well-Known Member

yes we miss him 15 to 20 goals a season is good for any striker these days.

i still believe Cappello told him to move to improve his England chances, however he went to a team that then sold some of their best players and a team to be honest are no better than we are and can only see us improving and Villa falling by the wayside.
    loyalty from footballers is almost extinct these days so most go where the money is Man City come to mind.

As for Gyan i don,t think he wants to come back and 99% of fans wouldn,t want him either anyone who can do that to my beloved Sunderland deserve to be thrown in the wear, wait thrown in the Tyne its more polluted

7. Steven Royston O'Neill

Its style of play I was thinking about TBH. If we had Bent would he, could he play the hold up role? Could he play as one of the quick breaks?

8. ive.seen.the.light

no point thinking about it cos he will never come back, time to move on and get ourselves a new hero!

9. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Bent would score hatfuls with the style we now play.

Gyan would do well too.

Hmmmf.

10. Cest Advocaat

Cest Advocaat Well-Known Member

I disagree that 99% of fans wouldn't have Gyan back at all Mitch.

If Gyan came back, after netting us £6m in loan fees, and played as if can thus saving us some £15m in finding a replacement, I'd say if would be welcome from day one. After all, he fell out with Bruce not SAFC and that is something a majority of us did and If has never once bad mouthed the club, owner or the fans.

Bent is a different case. If made a cock of himself once if left and that pathetic press conference finished me with him.

11. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Either would be welcomed back, eventually.

Let's be honest, if we re-signed Bent, or Gyan returned, would we boo them?

I wouldn't, as their quality is undeniable, and they are markedly better than players currently at the club.

12. Lostinvegas

Lostinvegas Well-Known Member

We miss Gyan more than Bent. Don't forget before Bent left many were calling for him to be rested in favour of Gyan and Welbeck.

Gyan would do extremely well in our current side, when you take away the 6m that was paid for his loan he would have only cost us 7m. If he came back and signed a new contract it would be really good business.

13. spirit of 73

spirit of 73 Well-Known Member

lets get real the last 3/4 months with us he went missing then we learnt there was interest from AV with a good money move. So he returns and delivers the goods then the big four come sniffing around the same would happen, head dropps, moral is affected and he makes another lucrative move. We have a team at present who are prepared to fight for each other and the shirt and I believe MON is looking for someone of that temprament who will be a worker and a goal poacher. I dont want bent back good riddance.

14. Rafa's Championship Party

Rafa's Championship Party Well-Known Member

As outsider looking into your club, correct me if I'm wrong when Bent was there, you hardly got any goals from midfield or defence, where as now you are getting goals from all over the pitch. So you probably are missing him but not as much as we all thought or as much as you did when Bruce was manager.

15. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Very good & valid observation, actually.

16. cuteybuns

cuteybuns Active Member

Any team will miss a proven goalscorer like Bent. Would he do well with two wide men like Larsson and McLean? - I think he'd revel in in, especially with support from Gardner, Sessegnon and Vaughan. Defences wouldn't be able to mark him as tightly as they did with them boys around. He'd probably have afield day at Sunderland now.

The banter with Gyan from our players on Twitter before yesterday's ACN game proves that those inside the club know more about what went on than we do, and there's no hard feelings for him there. Whatever we think he did to this club, somebody higher up agreed with him - and that surely means Short, Quinn or both.

17. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

That was very interesting indeed, the Twitter banter.

No bad blood whatsoever.

18. Poyet's Eleven

Poyet's Eleven Well-Known Member

19. talcnturnip

talcnturnip Well-Known Member

I'm in the don't want him back but miss his goals camp, as a goal scorer he is very very good just a shame he is a money grabbing piece of **** really.

20. Steven Royston O'Neill

For those who say, he wont come so whats the point, no he wont but the point is a talking point.