1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Disappointing reaction to Speed tragedy

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by HammersmithBlue, Dec 2, 2011.

1. HammersmithBlue

2. thefanwithnoname

thefanwithnoname Well-Known Member

I dont like the whole silence rubbish to be honest

3. I think it was a little rash of that Mickey Mouser to complain about having to spend another whole minute of his life applauding Gary Speed's death as a mark of respect to the man's family.

Sure, the media has probably gone over-board with, what appears to have been, a suicide by a former sportsman, much as it did (although not quite to the same extent) over the death of Lady Diana. There does come a point, I think, where someone screaming and shouting about how respectful they are being becomes, in itself, a little bit disrespectful. There are some of us Brits who seem to like to cry a few too many tears into our beer.

That said, there are times and places to hold that particular debate, and I don't think now is the time. What harm is there in applauding for another one minute? Gary Speed, as a footballer, meant nothing to me or to my team, but that doesn't stop me feeling aggrieved for the man's family, especially the kids he left behind. I wouldn't begrudge a further indulgence to express my empathy for the little ones left behind, especially as its only a minute's applause.

A rash comment, in my view.

4. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

I don't give a **** <ok>

5. Glesgabhoy67

Glesgabhoy67 Well-Known Member

This <ok>

6. Drogs

Drogs Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

7. Otto Flayshow

Otto Flayshow Well-Known Member

Why should we show any respect for Speed's life when he clearly didn't have any respect for it himself?

8. Ciaran

Ciaran 2016 POTY

So some Scouser posts a comment about observing two minuts silences. So ****ing what? If someone had emailed that pish to me I would have blocked all further emails from that address.

9. Drogs

Drogs Well-Known Member

How about his family then? None of this is their fault.

10. thefanwithnoname

thefanwithnoname Well-Known Member

why is it a 'tragedy'?

a tragedy is

1.An event causing great suffering, destruction, and distress, such as a serious accident, crime, or natural catastrophe.

His death will cause suffering to his family, but it was not any of the above

11. The media, as it does with everything like this, went over-board. I think the reaction of some is not against showing any respect to Speed's family (if they cannot show it for the man, himself), but against the media reaction.

12. Cossy

Cossy Well-Known Member

Whingy scouser doesn't give a **** for someone he didn't know?

If everyone took that view, the Justice for the 96 campaign would have been ****ed before it started.

13. HammersmithBlue

Fair point; we have had many silences for Hillsboro

14. The Ginger Marks

But not so many for the 39

15. atom heart mother

Some cruel comments there. Speedo was a great footballer and an all round good guy and must have hidden some inner demons to do what he did. He was devoted to his family and must have been in bad place in his head when he died.
    He was a Newcastle legend and I'm sure the majority of Chelsea fans would agree he deserves a minute of silence or applause..... Both ?
    Hope it's a great game tomorrow.

16. goldie

goldie Well-Known Member

It's to be expected when a famous person dies, however we all know that they are remembered for good reasons. This man was one of the best CM ever the grace the premier league. The stats speak for themselves.

17. bluemoon2

bluemoon2 Well-Known Member

For a young high profile football "celebrity", who appears to have everything going for him in life, it came as a surprise to most and a shock to many to learn of his death and how it happened. He had clearly made a lot of friends in the game! Showing respect for him at the end of the day,with a minute of applause is a personal thing for everybody, to join if they wish to or ignore if that is their choice! I'm sure his devastated family were made to feel a bit easier as a result and all it cost was a minute of everyones time(or 2 if you went to 2 games!)

18. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

I'm not exactly surprised a Scouser would adopt this attitude, frankly, considering how much respect they show to everyone else.

If the boot was on the other foot and someone complained to the FA about observing yet another minutes' silence for Hillsbrough, of course, the threats would flow faster than the excuses whenever the team loses.

19. HammersmithBlue

Agree croydon

20. Yurilly

Yurilly Well-Known Member

To be fair to the scousers, whenever they play at home they have to observe a 90 minute silence, so to have to begin it before the match would really be pushing it for them.