1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Derby County @ Pride Park 7/3/2017

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, Mar 5, 2017.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

The last night away match of the seasons takes us to Derby one place and one point below us in the table, after an initial surge of decent results under McLaren the Rams started their traditional end of sleep earlier than normal although winning against Barnsley yesterday may have rekindled false hopes about getting into the end of season play offs.
    A friend of mine has said that the Rams have some decnt players however rarely put together as a team, he may have a point. before yesterdays victory they had gone six games without a win also had some defensive frailty as well managing to let in seven in successive home game against Bristol City and Cardiff. They have also been relatively poor in front of goal only scoring 23 of which six came in the two games against Brizzle and Cardiff.
    Yesterday's winner was scored by ex North Ender David Nugent a legend in his three years at the club, hopefully he won't get anywhere near scoring on Tuesday. One thing that is traditional is that Tom Ince will get dogs abuse from our support only fair really.
    Looking at their team for the last two matches they do not look as strong as per recent years maybe that is why they are below us in the table.
    We will be looking at a quick response to yesterday's defeat still have worries in respects of the right back position and Spurr looks exposed against pacey players, possibly a couple of changes, Grayson could move Clarke to right back and give Boyle his debut and the likes of Gallagher and Pearson could start, no pressure on us now nine points from sixth take something special to get the play offs now.
    As I said last night away match, last chance of being held up by that road of frustration the M6, however there is a road closer and apparently it is going to take us 3.5 hours to get home, looks like we are going via Llandudno on the way home cannot wait honest.

2. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

Phew!
    Mind you, it was some pay back for the game at D'dale.
    Play offs...no chance. Now is the time to start preparing for next season. 'Rest' the loan players and give the younger players a chance to prove themselves. If there is a loan player that NE want, then include him/them. Make sure we beat B'burn and the rest of the games can be preparation for next season. It seems to me NE need someone like Spavin or McKenna but with a bit more speed! Who do you think NE need for next season,Mac?

3. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Barnet, need to seen McGeady again on loan and possibly someone on loan who can score on a regular basis.

A whiff of end of season about this one as the Rums and North End shared the spoils ina game which at times had a modicum of excitement. North End gave a debut to Andy Boyle who was signed in the transfer window from Dundalk and I have to say he was excellent.
    Derby should have been ahead very early on but Vydra missed a very decent chance by heading over from not far out, he also missed another decent chance later on in the half. Derby dominated but when North End attacked they did look dangerous and Robinson was slightly unlicky to have a goal disallowed although from where I sat it was probably just the right decision. Neither keeper was iverly busy although Maxwell had a few tame shots to save. Considering they had spent millions Derby did not look a great side ex North End player Nugent not a patch on the player he was, Ince flattered to deceive, do not rate him whatsoever.
    Derby took the lead early in the second half when Barkuizen gave the ball away in midfield(we did that a lot in the second half) Derby broke down te left and the ball after a few rebounds landed at the feet of Vydra who this time from 10 yards scored. After the goal the game tended to die, Derby rarely looked like scoring and the occasions we did actually get into good position our final ball was at best woeful more of a danger to those in the seats behind the goal. North End made changes but they had little effect.
    The game drifted towards the close and the home support started to disappear satisfied the job was done, then with about five minutes to go we pressed the on switch and traffic was all one way.
    Huntingto had a header cleared from the line and a Horgan shot was well saved by Carson but the 96th minute Maxwell quick free kick, flick on by Makienok and there was Barkuizen to beat Carson to the ball and chip the ball just past the post into the net.
    Did we deserve it, does not matter we got a point and still never lost there. For North End apart from the aforementioned Boyle, Pearson was also excellent.

Derby County 1 Preston North End 1 Att 26301

Derby manager Steve McClaren: "We defended the box with our lives but we failed on just one occasion and got punished, which I felt was very harsh on the players.

"We needed a second goal and then towards the end we needed to keep the ball better. We had our opportunities to bring it down and pass our way out, but we lumped it forward.

"There's no blame around for anyone because I thought the effort and attitude was there, but we just failed to hold on."

Preston manager Simon Grayson: "I think we showed a lot of character to keep going to the end, in the last 20 minutes we really stepped up the performance and asked questions of them.

"We suffered a late goal in the reverse fixture early in the season to lose the game so it was good to get a late one and get something out of it because I think we deserved it."

"Two more points would have made a lot of difference given that one or two of the results went in the chasing packs favour but there are still 10 games to go."

4. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

So long Steve.