1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Derby County 2 v 1 Swansea City

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Derby County v Swansea City

Competition - Sky Bet Championship
    Date - 1 December 2018
    Kick off - 3pm

Following 2 consecutive home defeats against 2 promotion candidates - Norwich & WBA - next up for Graham Potter’s Swansea squad is a visit to play another promotion hopeful, Derby County.

Against West Brom, the hosts started strongly and took the lead as Oli McBurnie struck on the rebound, only for Craig Dawson to head the Baggies level two minutes later.

Ahmed Hegazi then also nodded in from a corner to put the visitors ahead before half-time.

Swansea poured forward in search of a second-half equaliser but the Baggies held on to climb up to fourth.

Darren Moore's men are now just two points adrift of the automatic promotion places.

For the Swans, however, a third defeat from four matches saw them slip to 11th place.

Whilst the Swans were losing to West Brom, Gary Rowett's Stoke City held off his old side Derby County despite playing with 10 men for nearly an hour to earn an impressive victory thanks to Tom Ince's winner against his former club.

Former Swan Sam Clucas' first Potters goal put Stoke in front before Oghenekaro Etebo was shown a straight red card for his dangerous boot in to Richard Keogh's shin.

In the aftermath of Etebo's dismissal, Bradley Johnson grabbed Joe Allen's shirt with his teeth in a tussle after appearing to attempt to bite his shoulder, an incident which saw both receive yellow cards.

Derby were level after half-time when Harry Wilson's free-kick found the top corner before Ince slotted home from Clucas' square ball to send Stoke up to 12th in the table, five places and five points below the Rams.

The Swans have played the Rams on 40 occasions, with the Swans winning 19, Derby 15 and 6 draws.

The teams last met in March 2011 in a Championship fixture at Pride Park that saw Derby run out 2-1 victors, with the Rams’ goals coming from an own goal by Ashley Williams and a goal by Steve Davies. Darren Pratley netted a consolation for the visitors.

Looking ahead to Saturday, I suspect that the Swans will suffer a third straight defeat, I’m going 3-1 to Frank Lampard Junior’s Derby. <cheers>

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  2. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

Derby 3 Swans 0

Whenever I say we'll win, we lose. I'm going for a bit of reverse psychology, we're bound to smash 'em!

3. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

Short and sweet this time Taff <laugh> Don't blame you, it's getting depressing!

2 - 0 to the home side.

4. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

3-2 Swans.
    Bony hattrick

5. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

Sadly Swans loss 2-0. :(

6. Taffvalerowdy

I’m on holiday - will expand it later!

daimungeezer and 55282 like this.
  7. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

…...and the thread <laugh>

8. Taffvalerowdy

<cheers>

9. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Until the window opens and potts sorts out our striker problem then its much the same with some good football with plenty of shots off target. Hope lady luck is with us for a change and we win or at least draw.......1 - 2 away win i hope but wont hold my breath....

10. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

To all travelling to Derby today.Safe journey and hope the lads get a result for you.
    YJBs
    STID

11. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

Another defeat.
    The poor quality in this division means we are still only 5 points off a play-off place. However it may as well be 20 points as we are unable to string any sort of run together.

12. Taffvalerowdy

Declan John is handed only his second league start for the club as he replaces Martin Olsson.

The Welsh international comes in for only his third league appearance in a Swans shirt following his summer move from Rangers.

In midfield, Jay Fulton returns in place of Leroy Fer, who drops to the bench, meaning Mike van der Hoorn will captain the Swans today.

There is no Wilfried Bony in the travelling party.

The striker, who has only recently returned from a long-term injury lay-off, has been given a rest having made two substitute appearances this week.

Derby County: Scott Carson, Jayden Bogle, Fikayo Tomori, Richard Keogh (capt), Scott Malone, Craig Bryson, Tom Huddlestone, Mason Mount, Harry Wilson, Tom Lawrence, David Nugent.

Subs: Kelle Roos, Martyn Waghorn, Florian Jozefzoon, Alex Pearce, Duane Holmes, Calum Macdonald, Max Bird.

Swans: Erwin Mulder, Joe Rodon, Mike van der Hoorn (capt), Cameron Carter-Vickers, Connor Roberts, Jay Fulton, Matt Grimes, Declan John, Bersant Celina, Daniel James, Oli McBurnie.

Subs: Kristoffer Nordfeldt, Kyle Naughton, Martin Olsson, Leroy Fer, Joel Asoro, Jefferson Montero, Barrie McKay.

13. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

Is Bony knackered ?

14. daimungeezer

Well he did apparently make TWO substitute appearances in a week <laugh>

15. daimungeezer

Can't find a stream, again. Good luck Swans, I'll be with you in spirit!

16. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

Nobody watches the Championship. It's to be expected

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  17. daimungeezer

Looking on the bright side... at least it's just one sigh at the result rather than 90+ mins of tutting :grin:

Stereo likes this.
  18. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

We can't get hold of the ball judging by the stats.
    Derby have 68% possession so far.

19. daimungeezer

I'm not following it... busy preparing my sigh. I will have quick tut at that stat though.

20. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

I have an entire sack o'sighs right here with me - I'll just pull some at random later.